PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2008, 01:15 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: PPC-6700 & Mogul
Carrier: Sprint

PSTWalker is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Mogul Touchscrren died....

My touchscreen quit working. The phone wasn't dropped, banged, or anything else. There are no visible signs of damage.

I checked my email throughout the day, and about 4:23pm I was sending a text message to my daughter. Before I could finish it, the touchscreen quit responding.

The first thing I tried was the soft and then hard resets. When I returned home I plugged it into my computer, and was able to connect with ActiveSync, but I couldn't get past the touchscreen setup (caused by the hard reset).

I removed the battery, removed the back plate, removed the slide and keyboard, removed the LCD/keyboard/camera connectors, cleaned the contacts with alcohol, reseated the connectors, and reassembled everything.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lHXgVBd3j8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzGNT...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odNVC...eature=related

When powered up, the touchscreen still didn't work.

I downloaded the latest official ROM upgrade from Sprint, connected via ActiveSync, and ran the ROM upgrade. I went to get a pizza for dinner, and when I returned the install had finished and the phone was at the screen setup. The touchscreen is still dead.

Any thoughts on the next step? Does anyone know of a source for a new lcd/touchscreen?

Thanks in advance,

Tim
Old 05-15-2008, 01:24 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: xv6800
Carrier: Verizon

Half Decaf is becoming a great contributor
Re: Mogul Touchscrren died....

Man, I sure sympathize with you - I would be really bummed out if that happened to me with my Titan. I hope you are able to find a solution.
Old 05-15-2008, 01:28 AM
Lurker
Threadstarter

PSTWalker is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Decaf View Post
Man, I sure sympathize with you - I would be really bummed out if that happened to me with my Titan. I hope you are able to find a solution.
I may have to go back to my trusty 6700...

Tim
Old 05-15-2008, 01:42 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

pctek4456 is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSTWalker View Post
My touchscreen quit working. The phone wasn't dropped, banged, or anything else. There are no visible signs of damage.

I checked my email throughout the day, and about 4:23pm I was sending a text message to my daughter. Before I could finish it, the touchscreen quit responding.

The first thing I tried was the soft and then hard resets. When I returned home I plugged it into my computer, and was able to connect with ActiveSync, but I couldn't get past the touchscreen setup (caused by the hard reset).

I removed the battery, removed the back plate, removed the slide and keyboard, removed the LCD/keyboard/camera connectors, cleaned the contacts with alcohol, reseated the connectors, and reassembled everything.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lHXgVBd3j8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzGNT...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odNVC...eature=related

When powered up, the touchscreen still didn't work.

I downloaded the latest official ROM upgrade from Sprint, connected via ActiveSync, and ran the ROM upgrade. I went to get a pizza for dinner, and when I returned the install had finished and the phone was at the screen setup. The touchscreen is still dead.

Any thoughts on the next step? Does anyone know of a source for a new lcd/touchscreen?

Thanks in advance,

Tim
Its probably nothing too serious, I had the same issue and it was due to dust stuck in between the screen and the actual case. I took a pressured air dust can and removed the particles between the screen and that worked for me. Give that a try, also you might want to use something flat like a small sheet of paper and run it along the sides of the screen under the case to make sure you remove anything that might be stuck underneath.
Old 05-15-2008, 02:05 AM
Lurker
Threadstarter

PSTWalker is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by pctek4456 View Post
Its probably nothing too serious, I had the same issue and it was due to dust stuck in between the screen and the actual case. I took a pressured air dust can and removed the particles between the screen and that worked for me. Give that a try, also you might want to use something flat like a small sheet of paper and run it along the sides of the screen under the case to make sure you remove anything that might be stuck underneath.
I thought about that when I first posted. I just finished stripping it down again, and this time I removed the screen from the case. I cleaned around the edges of the glass, and around the inside of the case, with alcohol before putting it back together. Still no luck.....

I may have to try stripping it down again tomorrow....... This is one thing that I didn't anticipate being good at.....

If I knew how these worked, I may have a better idea of where to look.

Tim

Last edited by PSTWalker; 05-15-2008 at 02:09 AM.
Old 05-15-2008, 02:43 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

PSTWalker is a n00b

Ok.... I dismantled it, took the touchscreen out of the case (to make sure there were no inadvertent pressure points on the touchscreen), reconnected everything, and powered it up.

It booted back to the setup screen, but still no response from the touchscreen.

I think I've got it narrowed down to either the touchscreen, or the ribbon cable. No visible damage to either that I can see with a magnifier....

Does anyone have a good, reasonable, source for Mogul parts?

Tim
Old 05-15-2008, 02:49 PM
lwrdrchvy2

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Ok.... I dismantled it, took the touchscreen out of the case (to make sure there were no inadvertent pressure points on the touchscreen), reconnected everything, and powered it up.

It booted back to the setup screen, but still no response from the touchscreen.

I think I've got it narrowed down to either the touchscreen, or the ribbon cable. No visible damage to either that I can see with a magnifier....

Does anyone have a good, reasonable, source for Mogul parts?

Tim

Just take it to a corporate sprint store. They have onsite techs that can replace the screen, and if they dont have a screen there, they will order you a new phone. If you have an insurance plan it wont cost you anything, without the insurance it would be $55 plus tax
Old 05-20-2008, 11:14 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

PSTWalker is a n00b

It was definitely the LCD. I ordered a new one, got it installed, and the phone booted back up with no problems.

So far all functions appear to work fine. I'm always surprised each time I tear it down reassemble it, and it works!!!

Tim
Old 05-20-2008, 11:23 PM
gmplr831

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
It was definitely the LCD. I ordered a new one, got it installed, and the phone booted back up with no problems.

So far all functions appear to work fine. I'm always surprised each time I tear it down reassemble it, and it works!!!

Tim
nicely done, wish I was that brave!

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan