PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2008, 09:55 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2
Carrier: Telus

andsoitgoes is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Titan - Memory, Browser.. FRUSTRATION

Okay - So I moved to a WM device away from the closed Sidekick, I couldn't wait - I enjoyed my PPC, and the combo device sounded perfect. From the start, though, I realized that this wasn't a match made in heaven.

The kick had integrated, always on push email and chat, which was the most important thing for me. I found ways around it on my phone and was feeling pretty good. Flexmail took care of the push email, Palringo was a decent chat client.

The problem started early after I got these. I'd check my phone after an hour or so, I had PIE, Flexmail and Palringo running, I'd do some browsing and wonder "Hmm, why don't I see any email?" and I'd check, Palringo and Flexmail were closed. I'd reopen them, and it'd be fine for a little while. Then they would close again.

I found this happening quite regularly, when I was browsing. It was obvious PIE was using up too many resources and, without even asking, WM decided it would do away with my background programs.

I hear people here who have tons of available memory, and I don't know what I'm doing wrong, the only stuff I ALWAYS have open is:

- Flexmail (2.4 megs max)
- Palringo (256k max)
- PIE, Opera or Opera Mini (?!?!?!)
- SPB Pocket Plus v4.0.2

NOTE - I am running DCD 3.0.4 Telus rom, as well.

I have tried PIE, Opera and Opera Mini, and they all seem to screw me over the same way. IE will bloat to 10+ megs for no apparent reason. Opera is okay, but it doesn't seem to be a vast improvement. Opera mini is fun, but it's pointless - I have no access to anything else while it is running. Heaven forbid I want to multitask, I have to exit my browser.

I'm half tempted to throw this thing into the water. I LOVE the phone, but these stupid little problems are getting on my nerves.

I went through and installed Oxios which never gives me much of anything. I just used it with Palringo and Opera running, it turfed Opera Mobile and left palringo open, saved me 7 megs... which is what Opera was using.

Why is this so hard? What am I doing wrong? How the hell am I supposed to work with this? I found an email program that works, but yet it uses just over 2 megs of memory which SHOULD be enough - but of course it isn't.

Help, please? I want to have lots of love for this phone, rather than unending frustration.

Nick
Old 05-13-2008, 12:48 AM
*SCREEEEEECH*
Carrier: Sprint

EtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuff
Re: Titan - Memory, Browser.. FRUSTRATION

DCD's 3.0.4 ROM is a horrible ROM... I'd grab no2chem's 5060 or if you're feeling experimental, I think 5066 works even better.

Comcast EXTREME:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/584166480.png
Old 05-13-2008, 01:43 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Motorola Droid
Carrier: Verizon

Nickles knows their stuffNickles knows their stuffNickles knows their stuffNickles knows their stuffNickles knows their stuffNickles knows their stuffNickles knows their stuff

just a thought - but unless you a running a custom task manager, you are actually closing them instead of minimizing them ?
Old 05-13-2008, 02:15 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

I'm at 3.1.2, had been testing it out - same problems. Is the noChem release going to be that much better? Does it have Telus localizations or am I going to have to fight to get that working?

And Nickles - I was using the OS standard TM as well as SPB's real "close" feature. So no, not minimizing, unless I wanted the programs to stay open.

Which they were apt not to do anyway.
Old 05-13-2008, 03:23 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

kennyidaho is becoming a great contributor

You don't have to exit opera mini. You can just hit the start key or ok key (can't remember which key exactly, can't test I am flashing right now). It will then be minimized into the background; if your using a task manager then you can bring it back up.
Old 05-13-2008, 01:46 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Ah ha, it must have been the old Java I was using. Got the XDA java and I could actually work outside of it. The last one was full-screen only and gave me zero options.

Thanks!

now, if only I could use something other than Opera Mini, which is fine and all - but still rather limited.
Old 05-13-2008, 09:19 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Well, this just doesn't seem to be getting better. In order to do most things, I need to use PIE or full Opera, Mini doesn't cut it a lot of the time - Today, I had my timer set for going back to work, and I was browsing on PIE - Next thing I know, I have 2 megs of memory free, and my chat client, email and timers were gone.

Does the noChem release help with any of this? Is it going to make any difference? I simply can't have this stuff disappearing on me, it's driving me BATTY. Am I really expecting that much?

Sigh.
Old 05-13-2008, 10:47 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

I don't know what to tell you man. I actually find Opera Mini to be the superior browser over PIE or Opera Mobile. I can access all of my banks, every forum I post at, and a host of other pages. I really haven't encountered much Opera Mini can't do. Flash will always be in issue but it's an issue with PIE and Opera Mobile as well.

The programs closing is a function of WinMo 6.1 memory management I believe. I normally have opera mini, a irc client, tasks/calendar or contacts running and don't have things close on me. Though I haven't used a DCD ROM for a while. I normally cook my own with the kitchen, right now I am screwing around with Nex's Iphone clone rom. I am actually quite impressed with it; I flashed last night and as of this moment I still have ~14mb free ram.

Last edited by kennyidaho; 05-13-2008 at 10:52 PM.
Old 05-14-2008, 11:57 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

oy, I thought I replied to this, guess not.

Anyway, figured the problem with everything that was going on with Mini - The java client I had was one that would only run full-screen. The one I have now, that I got from DCD's rom, works perfect. It's the right size, lets me see what the hell is going on and I can multi-task. Yay.

As for the memory, I'm still stammied there. Right now I have Pocket Plus with SPB Diary running, Flexmail and Paringo in the background.

Flexmail is taking up just under 2 megs of memory, Palringo is at 268k, which it never moves from (god bless it)

I started the system with about 20 megs free, that's on a cold boot.

Right now, with nothing open outside of that, I have 15.6 megs.

This would be fine if I, oh, never wanted to use PIE for browsing. See, I can never set Opera Mini as my default browser, so it's a pain the rucksack sometimes to load it up, when I can so easily click on the links within my email.

But I guess I don't really have much choice, and I guess that if I feel the need to go happily browsing the web, I can set aside a pretty big guarantee that other stuff is going to disappear.

It's a pain in the butt, this is the only PDAPhone that is available to me with the kind of keyboard it has, but is SO lacking in memory. Another 20 megs and I'd be laughing to the bank, but now I have to preserve the memory as though it was gold bars.
Old 05-15-2008, 02:33 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

Is there a particular reason your using flexmail over the built in client? I am just curious because as far as I know the built in client supports imap, pop3 and direct push (direct push = activesync, I know this works I use it daily).

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan