PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2008, 01:58 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Motorola Droid
Carrier: Verizon

Nickles knows their stuffNickles knows their stuffNickles knows their stuffNickles knows their stuffNickles knows their stuffNickles knows their stuffNickles knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: The Best "Real" GPS Navigation Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippity.hoppity View Post
Just replace the stock voice. That's what I did and it fixed the odd glitch when the voice would begin speaking.

I'd never use a GPS app without TTS. Total waste.
Hmmm. interesting idea.
i came up with this link HERE , but the URL for the voice file has since been removed......
what 'other' voice are you using ??? i would like to give it a try, but not sure what voice file would be compatible with iGuidance, or what the format would be ?
Old 05-16-2008, 04:33 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: 6800
Carrier: Sprint

hippity.hoppity is keeping up the good workhippity.hoppity is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickles View Post
Hmmm. interesting idea.
i came up with this link HERE , but the URL for the voice file has since been removed......
what 'other' voice are you using ??? i would like to give it a try, but not sure what voice file would be compatible with iGuidance, or what the format would be ?
I found it on another site.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Sndwave.zip (1.94 MB, 95 views) Click for barcode!
This post has been thanked 3 times.
Old 05-16-2008, 04:50 PM
Halfway to VIP Status

Nickles knows their stuffNickles knows their stuffNickles knows their stuffNickles knows their stuffNickles knows their stuffNickles knows their stuffNickles knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippity.hoppity View Post
I found it on another site.
where are you putting the .wav files ? the iNav folder has a \scansoft folder, with a couple of 'RealSpeak' folder underneath it.. i think there is more to it than just wav files ? there weren't any existing wav files in my iNav folder.
just a bunch of speech engines and stuff.
Old 05-16-2008, 09:59 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Touch

pathogen is a n00b

I'm using iGo8 and for some reason it won't locate the GPS

HTC Touch with the leaked sprint rom
Old 05-16-2008, 10:01 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: 6800

hippity.hoppity is keeping up the good workhippity.hoppity is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickles View Post
where are you putting the .wav files ? the iNav folder has a \scansoft folder, with a couple of 'RealSpeak' folder underneath it.. i think there is more to it than just wav files ? there weren't any existing wav files in my iNav folder.
just a bunch of speech engines and stuff.
Trust me, there's nothing more to it. Delete all the .spx files and replace with the .wav files.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 05-16-2008, 11:17 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

datawrhsdoc knows their stuffdatawrhsdoc knows their stuffdatawrhsdoc knows their stuffdatawrhsdoc knows their stuffdatawrhsdoc knows their stuffdatawrhsdoc knows their stuff

My favorite is iGuidance 4. Like others, I'm using the one click launcher. I sometimes switch over to Sprint Nav (TeleNav) when the traffic is bad to get the automated traffic rerouting, but otherwise I can't stand Sprint Nav.

Unlike others, I've got ALL voice prompts going through the TTS engine in iGuidance. No more glitches, no more of those hokey changes in voice styles when road names are pronounced...and as far as I'm concerned, the TTS voice generally sounds no less human (sometimes more so, actually) than the recorded "Turn right on ... in 500 feet" messages.

To go 100% TTS you'll need to add a DWORD registry key:

HKCU\Software\iNav\iGuidance\TTS=2

Try it. I doubt that you'll be disappointed.

-Doc

Last edited by datawrhsdoc; 05-16-2008 at 11:19 PM.
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 05-16-2008, 11:29 PM
Raheinm

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

now reading through this I haven't heard any mention sprint navigation. i love it and it works great for me
Old 05-17-2008, 08:23 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

datawrhsdoc knows their stuffdatawrhsdoc knows their stuffdatawrhsdoc knows their stuffdatawrhsdoc knows their stuffdatawrhsdoc knows their stuffdatawrhsdoc knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raheinm View Post
now reading through this I haven't heard any mention sprint navigation. i love it and it works great for me
You must not have been using Sprint Navigation during the afternoon of Tuesday 5/13/08, then. Just when I NEEDED traffic optimized routing to get to the airport, the Sprint Nav service had crashed back at the TeleNav servers (confirmed by Sprint CS). I went back to Google Maps to get traffic patterns and then routed around the traffic jam using iGuidance 4.

Unfortunately, by the time I figured out the Sprint Nav was fubar, I had missed best case rerouting options and almost missed my flight. In addition, at my destination, there were areas without cellular coverage where Sprint Nav could not assist. Without a disconnected solution like iGuidance, I would have missed my flight and missed my later dinner meeting. By the way, TomTom's TeleAtlas were crap at my destination.

Moral of the story is, if you really need _reliable_ routing in North America, a disconnected solution with NavTeq maps and TTS road names is a must have. iGuidance 4 fits the bill perfectly.

-Doc

Last edited by datawrhsdoc; 05-17-2008 at 08:35 AM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 05-17-2008, 04:47 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

mikeo1313 is just getting started

I can upgrade from 6700 to 6800 for $200 dollars. I got transit plans in a few us cities and DON'T want to carry around an extra unit if I don't need to.

If TTS & stability is decent I think the upgrade is the way to go 4 me, I don't see no "fun" in fiddling with a solution that gives problems... so is the 6800 /w igo2006 or iguidance's tts something thats really working out for those that use it out on the streets?

Thanks
Old 05-17-2008, 04:56 PM
Halfway to VIP Status

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeo1313 View Post
I can upgrade from 6700 to 6800 for $200 dollars. I got transit plans in a few us cities and DON'T want to carry around an extra unit if I don't need to.

If TTS & stability is decent I think the upgrade is the way to go 4 me, I don't see no "fun" in fiddling with a solution that gives problems... so is the 6800 /w igo2006 or iguidance's tts something thats really working out for those that use it out on the streets?

Thanks
well, you DON'T have TTS with igo2006.. you DO, with iGo8, but it is completely unstable on the 6800 and will not stay running. (we don't have the RAM to sufficiently support it).

iGuidance DOES have TTS, but there is a bit of pain involved in getting it setup correctly, with shortcuts, script, and additional programs needed....

out of the box solution, igo2006 is awesome, easy to use, and hasslefree. (but no TTS, just remember that)

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan