PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2008, 03:31 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2
Carrier: Telus
Threadstarter

andsoitgoes is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Titan - Memory, Browser.. FRUSTRATION

I use flexmail because of push. activesync does push, but html emails don't come through at all. which to me defeats the purpose (as a lot of emails that i get are in html format)

that said, i expect this to be at least a lateral step from my Sidekick, not a step down.

if the integrated email client could do push properly, without hamstringing my html emails, i would have no problems with it as it stands, it is the only useable game in town.

another few notes, opera mini running within Java seems the likely culprit to my phone crashing two nights in a row. i even updated Opera Mini today, and that was the only Sother" thing i had open.

lastly, does anyone smell the irony that i couldnt do this post within Pocket IE and had to resort to Opera Mobile?

hence why i have it in use.

Last edited by andsoitgoes; 05-15-2008 at 03:34 AM.
Old 05-15-2008, 03:34 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC EVO
Carrier: Sprint Ofcourse

tech is keeping up the good worktech is keeping up the good worktech is keeping up the good work

spb will slow ur mogul up if u got it from kitchen ig u install the latest one it will work much better

Sprint Overdrive Pro 4G
Old 05-15-2008, 11:16 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2 and every single phone verizon had...
Carrier: Verizon

Noir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIP

this is meant by no disrespect at all...but I tried the most recent nochem rom
it is fast, but full of keyboard glitches (ie press something like a and l in a .025 second frame, a g shows up as well as memory leaking even with oxios closeapp and oxios hibernate and multi tasking I wish!)
I'm not going to say DCD is mightier than jesus in terms of rom manufacturing (he removed arcsoft and 3.1.1 was a horrid kitchen IMO) but as far as responsiveness and multi tasking (keyboard errors, volume tweaks, etc) he does have the better kitchen/rom
I am going to ask if the initial poster ever deletes the IE cache; that's a memory hog. Also have you installed oxios hibernate/memory on your mogul? that can definitely help
Old 05-15-2008, 11:24 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

My biggest concern with no2chem's rom is the carrier specifid nature, I have no idea how to set that stuff up - would DCD's carrier cab work with that?

As for Nochem vs DCD - I just need to not be beat to crap by memory usage. Right now I'm installing something, have Flexmail and Paringo running, and I'm at 12.4 megs. Because I use my keyboard LOADS, as well.

No, I don't clear the IE cache, however the same thing happens in Opera - and I would assume the cache issues wouldn't be the same? Maybe they are, and maybe I should do that.

As for Oxios, I use it all the time. This morning I had all that I stated that was running, ran hibernate and close apps and was still left with only 11 megs. Soft reset and I was back up to 18 at the start (remember I have the SPB Pocket Plus and diary running)
Old 05-15-2008, 12:41 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: TP2
Carrier: Verizon

raven is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by andsoitgoes View Post

This would be fine if I, oh, never wanted to use PIE for browsing. See, I can never set Opera Mini as my default browser, so it's a pain the rucksack sometimes to load it up, when I can so easily click on the links within my email.

It is possible to set Opera Mini as your default web browser so that when you click on a link in your email (or any other app), Opera Mini opens. Reference the following thread:

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=21899

You can also create a one click icon to open Opera Mini without having to invoke the JBed client first. Check it out here:

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=7346

Hope this helps ...
Old 05-15-2008, 05:34 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

you know, i might be able to tolerate Opera Mini if it didn't

A) crash constantly on me
B) hang my phone when it goes onto stanby
C) limit me to 260 characters in a text box.

I'm using the Jbed java, version 20071130.4.1

the other version i was using would only do full screen, blocking me from multitasking.

again, any thoughts or suggestions?

at this point, i changed my opera mobile cache to 500k, and I'm sitting at just under a meg. maybe that's what i need to do?

nick
Old 05-15-2008, 06:05 PM
morsus mihi
Pocket PC: iPhone 4
Carrier: AT&T

schettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

I know this is the wrong answer but....

You need an HTC device with WM 6.1 (ideally) *and* 128mb ram. Seriously, based on your usage, you'd have no issues with such a device. I'm thinking something in the Kaiser family. I've got a mogul (which is my personal sprint phone) and a spiffy new Tilt on AT&T for work. The mogul with its whopping 18-20mb free works for me, since I can single-task it - hourly IMAP email - html comes thru fine - works for me so no need for push... but the AT&T Tilt with the "brings me to tears" 75mb free RAM is truly a joy to use.

So yeah, run whatever rom will give you as much free ram as possible on boot, run it as lean as you can - there are other push solutions then Flexmail that use the native push email, try mail2web - or get a WM phone with 128mb ram and be done with it.
Old 05-15-2008, 10:20 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

I wish I could have chosen a HTC device that had those options. Being in Canada, the only option with unlimited browsing was either the HTC Mogul/Titan or the Moto Q9C - The HTC is the only one with a touch screen and full sized keyboard.

I know there are a few other options for push email, the problem is they either drain the battery even more than it is normally, or they strip all HTML content out of emails (mail2web) - So I'm limited.

So I'm stuck with this - I would love a good, solid ROM to come along that would easily work for me that would give me stability and as much RAM as possible, everyone says NoChem - but I don't know if it'll work with Telus, and I've heard it's a bit finnicky to install - The last thing I want to do is cause major headaches with my phone. I freaked as it was installing DCD's rom, and that was about as braindead easy as it gets.

So if I could at least get things like Opera Mini to run PROPERLY (without crashing) then I'm kind of at a crappy impass.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan