PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2008, 06:50 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC EVO
Carrier: Sprint

peepeesea is keeping up the good workpeepeesea is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
GPS installation - WHY is it so difficult?

ok i have been going back an forth between this forum a xda-developers in multiple threads trying to figure out how to get GPS installed on my Sprint Mogul. i can not believe how ridiculously hard it is just to have a gps app installed and running properly. how is the average joe suppose to utilize this feature? i fancy my self as being tech savy, resourceful and patient BUT this is testing my limits... anyway i have iGuidance and the astrolauncher on my 6.1 wm rom build with kitchen. i also downloaded gps viewer. i think i still need gps gate but i am at my wits end with this crap. i just want it to work! i haven't been able to ope iguidance yet because im missing maps and iguidance launcher gives me an error about not being signed. i was informed that this is because i am missing the .net stuff but i have installed the latest version of .net but i still get the error.

i want to know if someone is willing to walk me through (in plain english) how to get this crap working?
every thread i find goes on and on about stuff but never explains it well enough for an average person (me) to understand what and why im doing what im doing.

this is a lot to ask to receive nothing in return but maybe some one out there was in my shoes and is willing to shoot a bullet list of steps.. i dunno

please don't link me to the GPS threads, i have read them all and everyone i read i become more confused and frustrated.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 04-30-2008, 06:52 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch Pro

neodorian is becoming a PPCGeeks regularneodorian is becoming a PPCGeeks regularneodorian is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Re: GPS installation - WHY is it so difficult?

Um...I'm not sure why it's been hard. You flash the latest Sprint ROM, install Google Maps or Live Search. Tell it to use GPS and there ya go.
Old 04-30-2008, 06:59 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC EVO
Threadstarter

peepeesea is keeping up the good workpeepeesea is keeping up the good work

yea awesome! i'm using i guidance but thanks anyway
Old 04-30-2008, 08:06 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

aznd000d is just getting started

This is how I do it, but I use GPSgate though.
I'd run GPSgate to let it sit on the tray.
Then launch google maps to get a fix (somehow google maps can get a fix within 2 seconds cold or hot). then exit google maps. but before you exit google maps, make sure that GPSgate icon on the tray is green.
Then I run iguidance.
Done
Old 04-30-2008, 09:45 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: EVO3D
Carrier: SERO-P

lafester knows their stufflafester knows their stufflafester knows their stufflafester knows their stufflafester knows their stufflafester knows their stufflafester knows their stuff

garmin runs without priming... hard to beat for ease of use.

if i were trying to run a gps program that needed priming i would use baf gps toggle.
runs from today screen and primes gps FAST.

good luck.
Old 04-30-2008, 10:05 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Motorola Droid
Carrier: Verizon

Nickles knows their stuffNickles knows their stuffNickles knows their stuffNickles knows their stuffNickles knows their stuffNickles knows their stuffNickles knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by peepeesea View Post
anyway i have iGuidance and the astrolauncher on my 6.1 wm rom build with kitchen. i also downloaded gps viewer. i think i still need gps gate but i am at my wits end with this crap. i just want it to work! i haven't been able to ope iguidance yet because im missing maps and iguidance launcher gives me an error about not being signed. i was informed that this is because i am missing the .net stuff but i have installed the latest version of .net but i still get the error.
ok. so do you have an actual fulll install,with maps, of iGuidance on your storage card? (it must be installed via active sync from your PC)
and you are getting the 'not signed' error ?
my advice is to uninstall iGuidance, then re-install it. especially if you've installed .NET after your first attempt.
if still no go, then re-flash in the kitchen making sure you cook in .NET from the start.
i think thats part of the frustration.. once we get past this part and you a nice proper flash, the rest is cake.

yes, you need GPSgate if you want to use iguidance. you also need Mortscript and the custom launcher Talyn built.. sounds crazy but dont sweat it. we can get you there, then you'll look back and laugh.
post back whats up, as well as the version of iguidance you have?

Last edited by Nickles; 04-30-2008 at 11:39 PM.
Old 05-01-2008, 03:00 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: PPC-6800 (Sprint Mogul)

bakntyme is keeping up the good workbakntyme is keeping up the good work

I am running iGuidance 3.0.1. The complications are due to the Mogul internal GPS requirement to be "primed" and the iGuidance inability to read intermediate ports in Windows Mobile.

I do not use the launchers and Mortscript, and I have a multi-step, but easy to understand method of running it. First, you must have a GPS-enabled Rom and have iGuidance and its maps properly installed. Then download and install Wififofum and GPSProxy; both are free to use non-commercially.

Each time you run the application is a 3 step process, but you only need to do the setups the first time.
1. Run Wififofum to activate the internal GPS; set to use COM4
2. Run GPSProxy to avoid the intermediate port problem with iGuidance; set it to read COM4 and mirror output to COM2
3. Run iGuidance; set to use COM2

A script to automate this might be easier, but I would rather see what is happening and make sure that each step is effective before starting the next step. I wait until Wififofum has a satellite lock before running GPSProxy and start GPSProxy outputting before running iGuidance.
Old 05-01-2008, 08:54 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC TouchPro2

Gilliland is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakntyme View Post
2. Run GPSProxy to avoid the intermediate port problem with iGuidance; set it to read COM4 and mirror output to COM2
What settings are you using with GPSProxy? I tried it with every possible setting and couldn't get it to help me. It worked fine, but the GPS data stream received through it caused the same problem with iGuidance as the native stream (infrequent position updates). So it didn't help me at all.

I'm using GPSGate instead, and that works fine. It's not free, though.
Old 05-01-2008, 09:13 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

jerryyyyy is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjerryyyyy is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjerryyyyy is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjerryyyyy is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
ok i have been going back an forth between this forum a xda-developers in multiple threads trying to figure out how to get GPS installed on my Sprint Mogul. i can not believe how ridiculously hard it is just to have a gps app installed and running properly. how is the average joe suppose to utilize this feature? i fancy my self as being tech savy, resourceful and patient BUT this is testing my limits... anyway i have iGuidance and the astrolauncher on my 6.1 wm rom build with kitchen. i also downloaded gps viewer. i think i still need gps gate but i am at my wits end with this crap. i just want it to work! i haven't been able to ope iguidance yet because im missing maps and iguidance launcher gives me an error about not being signed. i was informed that this is because i am missing the .net stuff but i have installed the latest version of .net but i still get the error.

i want to know if someone is willing to walk me through (in plain english) how to get this crap working?
every thread i find goes on and on about stuff but never explains it well enough for an average person (me) to understand what and why im doing what im doing.

this is a lot to ask to receive nothing in return but maybe some one out there was in my shoes and is willing to shoot a bullet list of steps.. i dunno

please don't link me to the GPS threads, i have read them all and everyone i read i become more confused and frustrated.
I have to say I resonate with this as a private pilot. You turn on the GPS in a plane and it works (period). I have 3-4 apps that use GPS and they are all hard to use. Sometimes connection is immediate and other times I have to reboot. Generally after reboot (and using GPS Comm manager to COMM 5), I am OK. I have to say I have yet to get this to work in Europe.
Old 05-01-2008, 12:47 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: LG v10
Carrier: T-mobile

clockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
yea awesome! i'm using i guidance but thanks anyway

As mentioned in a previous post on your thread here. Did you install a "full" copy of iguidance, or just the launcher in the kitchen?

That's the first step, if you don't have a full copy installed, it's not gonna run, since the kitchen only includes a "primer" for the GPS, not the full install.

The Kitchen only includes Google Maps and Windows Live Search. Which just work, no priming needed.

I've also gotten GPS Today and Garmin XT Mobile to work, without priming. Just installed it and ran it.

-CC

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan