PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2008, 02:24 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: PPC 6800
Carrier: SPRINT

shorty82 is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Ideas to save some RAM

But I have found 2 that peaked my interest http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=385054 and http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=319580 but I still have the following question:

Does anyone know what the optimal settings are for the following keys on a mogule with WM 6.1?

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\StorageManager\FATFS\Cac heSize=?
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\StorageManager\FATFS\Ena bleCache=?
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\StorageManager\Filters\f sreplxfilt\ReplStoreCacheSize=?

I have been playing with different setting for the last week because I'm tired of running out of memory!!! When I'm really low on memory I find that WM will auto turn off programs I'm running when the screen turns off, this doesn't go well when I'm using the phone for navigation because I have restart the program and find sat's all over.

Someone also said to remove HTC_CM_Guardian and SDDaemon, but I don't have anything like that on my mogule. I do have a file calle VCDaemon.exe that is in the start up folder, does anyone know what that does?

Please post anything else that has worked to save some RAM.

Last edited by shorty82; 05-08-2008 at 03:00 PM.
Old 05-08-2008, 03:50 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Diamond
Carrier: Sprint

opuscroakus is becoming a PPCGeeks regularopuscroakus is becoming a PPCGeeks regularopuscroakus is becoming a PPCGeeks regularopuscroakus is becoming a PPCGeeks regularopuscroakus is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Re: Ideas to save some RAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorty82 View Post
I do have a file calle VCDaemon.exe that is in the start up folder, does anyone know what that does?
Not sure about optimal settings for those keys but VCDaemon is from Cyberon Voice Commander.
Old 05-08-2008, 05:52 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Re: Ideas to save some RAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by opuscroakus View Post
Not sure about optimal settings for those keys but VCDaemon is from Cyberon Voice Commander.
Thanks, I disabled it this morning and the system seems to be working fine without it. I'm not sure I gained much without it active though.
Old 05-08-2008, 06:00 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Imagio
Carrier: VZW

xero is just getting started
Re: Another RAM thread....

I'd like to free up some RAM too, it's getting annoying to have nothing sucking up my RAM. I mean WTF HTC?! How does the Touch get 128, but the PPC get's 64?

Seriously, what can we do to free RAM up?
Old 05-08-2008, 06:18 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Well I can write down what I have done so far, but I'm not sure that it has helped much. I removed VCDaemon from my startup folder.

I did everything with a * without any problems, but some of the items don't have a * because I didn't have the file on my system.

*STOP ACTIVE SYNC FROM AUTO STARTING
1. DOWNLOAD AND INSTALL MEMMAID
2. GO TO "NOTIFICATIONS" TAB
3. LOOK IN THE LOWER SECTION AND THERE ARE 3 "REPLLOG" FILES (ACTIVESYNC)
4. ONE OF THEM WILL SAY "APPRUNAFTERTIMECHANGE" WHEN HIGHLIGHTED
5. DELETE THAT ONE (THE OPTION AT THE LOWER RIGHT SIDE WILL RESTORE IT ANYTIME YOU WANT)

DONE, ACTIVESYNC WON'T AUTOSTART WITH NETWORK SYNC AND YOUR NETWORK SYNC IS STILL ACTIVE.

I DID THESE FOLLOWING TWEAKS
1. WINDOWS LIVE=SELF EXPLANATORY
2. SQMUPLOAD=CUSTOMER EXPERIENCE
3. OBEX(MOST OF YOU WHO HAVE BLUETOOTH DONGLES PROBABLY WON'T WANT TO DISABLE THIS)
4. DPT / DTPT (GOOGLE SEARCHING INDICATES THAT THIS IS RESPONSIBLE FOR SOME SORT OF DHCP ACTIVITY (KILLS INTERNET SHARING)
5. BTHIDSVC(MY BLUETOOTH HEADSET WORKS FINE WITH THIS MISSING, I'M NOT SURE IF ANY OTHER BLUETOOTH OPERATIONS ARE AFFECTED, AS I DON'T HAVE A BLUETOOTH DONGLE FOR MY COMPUER)
*6. SMSRETRY = THIS IS RESPONSIBLE FOR AUTOMATICALLY TRYING TO SEND MESSAGES IF YOU'RE OUT OF SERVICE OR ROAMING.

FROM HKLM\INIT I'VE DISABLED...

*1. PLAYSILENCE.EXE
2. UPTIMESQM.EXE(CUSTOMER EXPERIENCE)
*3. TIMEWIZARD.EXE / TIME SYNC (GOOGLING HAS SHOWN THIS TO KEEP THE TIME RIGHT AFTER A COLD BOOT[TAKING THE BATTERY OUT], HOWEVER, MY TIME SYNCS WITH SPRINT'S SERVERS)

My next question though is about those reg key's:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\StorageManager\FATFS\Cac heSize=?
This key is the size of the cache, but at the expense of RAM. So I'm not sure if it's better set to a very low number 1, 2, 4, 16 (my system ran fine at 16) so the system can't make it a larger number when it's manged automatically. To have it managed automatically it needs to me 0.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\StorageManager\FATFS\Ena bleCache=?

This has to be on for the system to even start using the cache. (The first key won't work)...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\StorageManager\Filters\f sreplxfilt\ReplStoreCacheSize=?
This is a Filter but I'm not sure what it does and if it sacrifices RAM or HD Space, if it only uses disk space and it's better at a high number then I can make the sacrifice.

AGAIN ALL OF THIS IS FOR WM 6.1, I already know what worked on the old system but I'm trying to find out what works best on this one because I don't know enough about 6.1 yet. I hope this help other people that are new to 6.1.

Old 05-08-2008, 06:54 PM
*SCREEEEEECH*
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2

EtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuff

Honestly, if you upgrade to no2chem's 5066... you get 29MB of RAM on boot with the standard page pool...

Comcast EXTREME:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/584166480.png
Old 05-08-2008, 07:28 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic 4G

JUSTinOC is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by EtherealRemnant View Post
Honestly, if you upgrade to no2chem's 5066... you get 29MB of RAM on boot with the standard page pool...
Ok this brings up a question...so if I DON'T have his ROM, or any other custom build (just WM 6.0 from the latest Sprint ROM) can I get or use just this PagePool tool you speak of to give me some more RAM at bootup? Sorry in advance if this has been answered already...couldn't find anything when searching.
Old 05-08-2008, 08:34 PM
*SCREEEEEECH*
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2

EtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuff

I've never tried using it on a stock ROM. But in theory, if you can change a stock ROM's pagepool and then get it to flash, you'd be able to scrounge up some more memory that way. I think that the stock Sprint ROM is on an 8MB page pool... but I don't ever use stock ROMs so don't quote me on that.
Old 05-08-2008, 11:27 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Droid
Carrier: Verizon

ajm144k knows their stuffajm144k knows their stuffajm144k knows their stuffajm144k knows their stuffajm144k knows their stuffajm144k knows their stuffajm144k knows their stuffajm144k knows their stuff

have you tried using QuickMenu? its got a nice hibernate utility that frees up RAM. that and dont forget about soft resets. i always get a few MB back if i havent soft reset for a while
Old 05-09-2008, 09:02 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajm144k View Post
have you tried using QuickMenu? its got a nice hibernate utility that frees up RAM. that and dont forget about soft resets. i always get a few MB back if i havent soft reset for a while
Yeah I already use quickmenu and soft reset regularly, but I'm searching for a better solution.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan