PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2008, 06:45 PM
Lurker

ironsoulreaver is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
anyone know who exactly hacked the GPS chip?

hey a am over here scoutting out some information, i have a 6700 and i am looking into turning on the GPS on this phone. Does anyone know who i can talk to that hacked the 6800 so i can make some futile attempts on the 6700? i am just trying to get it running
Old 05-01-2008, 06:49 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

x10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Re: anyone know who exactly hacked the GPS chip?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironsoulreaver View Post
hey a am over here scoutting out some information, i have a 6700 and i am looking into turning on the GPS on this phone. Does anyone know who i can talk to that hacked the 6800 so i can make some futile attempts on the 6700? i am just trying to get it running
Sorry, I don't believe the GPS chip is on the 6700...
If you want GPS, you either have to get an external one or upgrade to the Mogul or the recently GPS-enabled Touch.

Last edited by x10guy; 05-01-2008 at 06:51 PM.
Old 05-01-2008, 06:51 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

ironsoulreaver is a n00b

acctually it is... and it is the same chip as this one the GPSone chip that is, the actuall qualcom chip is a newer model.. but if I am wrong atleast i tried right?

all phones are required to have a GPS chip in it. you guys just got lucky and had someone figure out how to enable your chip, and the touch got their hack from the titan... the apache guys were to worried about accessing the chip rom API's and registry enteries... they never looked at the radio firmware

Last edited by ironsoulreaver; 05-01-2008 at 06:55 PM.
Old 05-01-2008, 06:54 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Droid Eris
Carrier: Verizon

Spencer_Moore is becoming a PPCGeeks regularSpencer_Moore is becoming a PPCGeeks regularSpencer_Moore is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to Spencer_Moore

No the 6700 does not have internal GPS x10guy is right
Old 05-01-2008, 07:00 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

ironsoulreaver is a n00b

here is a link to the data sheet for the MSM6500, this speciffically states that the GPSone Chip (the same that is in the 6800) is installed on this chipset which is installed on the 6700, i myself have accessed the Chip via dialing 911 (not on purpouse) and was able to get access to the chip momentarily it's there... it's just nobody with skill looked into it
http://www.datasheetcatalog.com/data.../MSM6500.shtml

heres the msm7500 datasheet, the same thing as thw 6500's theres more detail on GPS capabilities but the chip layout is the exact same on both

http://www.datasheetpro.com/268120_d...datasheet.html

Last edited by ironsoulreaver; 05-01-2008 at 07:06 PM.
Old 05-01-2008, 07:10 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: PPC-6800
Carrier: Alltel

DerekV is just getting started

Old 05-01-2008, 07:23 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Palm Pre, Nexus One.
Carrier: Sprint, TMobile

pixelwix knows their stuffpixelwix knows their stuffpixelwix knows their stuffpixelwix knows their stuffpixelwix knows their stuffpixelwix knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekV View Post

nobody hacked it, sprint just enabled it through a romupdate

Quote:
“The hood love to listen to Jeezy and Weezy, and oh yeah Yeezy; I did it for the Glory.”
Old 05-01-2008, 07:30 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

ironsoulreaver is a n00b

so the GPS hack was based off of the sprint radio firmware, just ported through to the other carriers?

Last edited by ironsoulreaver; 05-01-2008 at 07:34 PM.
Old 05-01-2008, 08:07 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HD2/TouchPro2
Carrier: T-Mo

reeg420 knows their stuffreeg420 knows their stuffreeg420 knows their stuffreeg420 knows their stuffreeg420 knows their stuffreeg420 knows their stuffreeg420 knows their stuff

There is no hack for the GPS. Its the 3.35 radio put out by sprint for the mogul that enabled the internal GPS.

However there have been people that have hacked other programs to work with the internal GPS on the mogul.

As far as Ive seen GPS cant work on the apache. I owned an apache for a long time and have looked into this several times. I always come to a dead end.
Old 05-02-2008, 12:31 AM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: who knows
Carrier: probably sprint

no2chem can't get a higher reputation levelno2chem can't get a higher reputation levelno2chem can't get a higher reputation levelno2chem can't get a higher reputation levelno2chem can't get a higher reputation levelno2chem can't get a higher reputation levelno2chem can't get a higher reputation levelno2chem can't get a higher reputation levelno2chem can't get a higher reputation levelno2chem can't get a higher reputation levelno2chem can't get a higher reputation level

while it is certainly possible,

drivers aren't there, and other supporting code, such as the radio just isn't there. i've seen work on the hermes where they have enabled gps, but due to lack of antenna fix was very poor. the main difference with hermes though, is that gsm radios are generally compatible with similar devices, but i have not seen the same with cdma radios (starting to see that with vogue/titan though) what does this mean in short? unless a carrier decided to enable it, and the antenna is somehow added, don't count on it. As for coding your own drivers and radio, most likely too complicated, and if you were able to do it, im sure youd be able to buy a mogul every day, so why bother?

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan