PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2008, 03:37 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: XV6800
Carrier: Verizon

larrymartin830 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Charging my Mogul

well i really wasnt sure where to put this but..the other day i got a car charger for my mogul i opened the charger and pluged it in to my car. so i plugged the charger in my lighter socket then in to the phone well a sec later i hurd a pop. i was like WTF i picked up the phone and it smelt soooo bad..so i had to get the cell replaced...morel of the story is don't buy cheap chargers it was like $5 on ebay lol..sorry i am just pissed about the charger and sorry if you don't understand what i am typing...
Old 04-28-2008, 03:53 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Incredible Droid
Carrier: VZW

abgamboa80 is becoming a great contributor
Re: Charging my Mogul

I feel for you. Same experience here. except not with my 6800 but when i had the 6700. I actually had bought a $5 charger at wally world. I currently use a moto charger.
Old 04-28-2008, 04:17 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Mogul/6800
Carrier: sprint

thakidc is keeping up the good workthakidc is keeping up the good work

yeah my brother had this happen to his original q with a motorola car charger he bought from a sprint store, it melted his mini usb into nothing and they had to give him a q9. never again will he or i use a car charge better off buying a power converter and using your house charger that came with the phone.
Old 04-28-2008, 10:38 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Rhodium CDMA
Carrier: Sprint

AboveTheBULL is becoming a great contributor
Thumbs up Re: Charging my Mogul

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymartin830 View Post
well i really wasnt sure where to put this but..the other day i got a car charger for my mogul i opened the charger and pluged it in to my car. so i plugged the charger in my lighter socket then in to the phone well a sec later i hurd a pop. i was like WTF i picked up the phone and it smelt soooo bad..so i had to get the cell replaced...morel of the story is don't buy cheap chargers it was like $5 on ebay lol..sorry i am just pissed about the charger and sorry if you don't understand what i am typing...
Oh, I understand you 100%! I've had this happen EXACTLY as you have stated (and the burnt, plasticy, phone smell was HORRIFIC!) Sad thing is the charger was a Motorola-branded unit I purchased from a seller on eBay who had 99% feedback and thousands of transactions (SprocketDog). I returned the charger to Motorola, and within a few weeks, they returned it to me, stating that it was counterfeit and therefore not applicable for warranty coverage. I'd etched my initials into the side of the plug and taken pictures of it beforehand, so what they returned in the envelope was indeed the same unit I sent them.

Furious, I went online to see if their counterfeit claim had any validity (or if they were just jacking me around) and found this -- http://www.motorola.com/content.jsp?...tId=7716-10942 I then looked carefully at the charger, and lo and behold, it's the one on the right in the pictures -- an actual counterfeit charger! And when I confronted the seller to ask for a refund, he simply ignored every message. Paypal ended up refunding the transaction, and I reported him (real name: Matthew Buchanan) to eBay... so all was good -- I guess.

Moral of the story? If you're thinking about buying a knockoff/generic charger or a super cheapie one off of eBay, DON'T! Unless they can prove that the charger is not counterfeit (it having "Motorola" on it is NOT enough), you are better off spending a little more money to buy a real retail Motorola unit, or at least one with renowned quality. Otherwise, you risk a melty, fiery Mogul mess...
Old 04-28-2008, 10:48 PM
Tweety...Bear (chick)
Pocket PC: EVO

TweetyBear is halfway to VIP status based on repTweetyBear is halfway to VIP status based on repTweetyBear is halfway to VIP status based on repTweetyBear is halfway to VIP status based on repTweetyBear is halfway to VIP status based on repTweetyBear is halfway to VIP status based on repTweetyBear is halfway to VIP status based on repTweetyBear is halfway to VIP status based on repTweetyBear is halfway to VIP status based on repTweetyBear is halfway to VIP status based on repTweetyBear is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to TweetyBear Send a message via Yahoo to TweetyBear

anybody have experience with the belkin charger? will it fry it too?

Old 04-29-2008, 04:51 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TweetyBear View Post
anybody have experience with the belkin charger? will it fry it too?
Name-brand domestic chargers purchased in retail packaging have rarely given me issue -- they generally work well and are designed to deal with the voltage spikes and drops vehicles subject them to. I had a Belkin car charger for an old Audiovox phone, and it was fine for a year or so before it just stopped charging one day. And this, my friend, is what you WANT it to do if it's going to fail! The counterfeit Motorola charger that the evil eBayer had sold me had substandard protection circuitry, so when it failed, it did not shut off -- instead, it began charging at a horribly HIGH rate, causing the phone to smoke, melt around the charging port, and catch the charger on fire. The flash fire was short-lived, but it scared the hell outta me! It taught me that you HAVE to ensure that the charger is genuine and of good quality.

So, to answer your question, a Belkin may be okay... but I'd probably go with genuine Motorola or original HTC for the safest experience.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 04-29-2008, 06:59 AM
Tweety...Bear (chick)

TweetyBear is halfway to VIP status based on repTweetyBear is halfway to VIP status based on repTweetyBear is halfway to VIP status based on repTweetyBear is halfway to VIP status based on repTweetyBear is halfway to VIP status based on repTweetyBear is halfway to VIP status based on repTweetyBear is halfway to VIP status based on repTweetyBear is halfway to VIP status based on repTweetyBear is halfway to VIP status based on repTweetyBear is halfway to VIP status based on repTweetyBear is halfway to VIP status based on rep

thanks. after reading this thread i'm scared to use the car chargers now lol
Old 04-29-2008, 11:54 AM
Lurker

Jman883 is a n00b

I have a belkin that was used for a V3C & V3CM motorazr's. I pluged it in to my xv6800 and it charged fine, no issues.
Old 04-30-2008, 09:18 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Talking Lol!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TweetyBear View Post
thanks. after reading this thread i'm scared to use the car chargers now lol
LOL! Nah, just make sure you don't buy cheap crap, and you'll be fine!
Old 05-01-2008, 11:14 AM
Tweety...Bear (chick)

glad i found this thread. i did use the belkin charger and it worked fine. thanks

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan