PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Titan (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Resync doubled contacts... (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=24587)

JDM_SOHC 04-21-2008 08:25 PM

Resync doubled contacts...

Ok so my 102 contacts is now 204 but not cuz i got super popular over, after hardreset i resynced my phone an it DOUBLED the contacts back onto my phone, anyway to get around goin through one by one an deleting them.?? thanks...

ive also searched, an it seems everyones problems are opposite of mine, they're mainly unable to get their contacts back period im havin an issue of TOOOO many lol..

IBGregR 04-21-2008 09:38 PM

Re: Resync doubled contacts...

The only time I saw that happen is when I tried to restore my contacts via PIMBackup (or whatever it is called) and then let my phone sync with our exchange server. In my case it doubled them on the phone AND the exchange server so I just used Outlook to delete the duplicates as it is easier than trying to do it on the phone. Unfortunately, once they are there...they are there and you will have to delete them manually.

JDM_SOHC 04-21-2008 10:49 PM

oh well i guess ima do what u did than an just erase'm outta outlooks... than if i just resync well it only copy the one set of contacts an not double'm..??

IBGregR 04-21-2008 11:31 PM

If you make changes in outlook and then resync it should make the phone look like outlook

JDM_SOHC 04-21-2008 11:41 PM

k ima give it a shot.. i been messin with this wisbar shyt, how confusing dude lol...

psyco 04-22-2008 12:08 AM

So when you sync the phone to your computer, it automatically saves your contacts???.......I have syncd my phone and I can't find a contacts folder....What am I missing.......the search option isnt helping any...

JDM_SOHC 04-22-2008 12:17 AM

im not sure what kinda computer u have, but i have a new compaq an it came with the newer version of outlook with Vista Premium, an when i open Outlook theres actually a "contacts" icon that i can click an see all my contacts...

DaveTN 04-22-2008 10:48 AM

I had the same problem and I think it was because of Windows Live Messenger....which is now windows dead messenger on my laptop. Every time I synced my phone it would re-add my contacts. So, I ended up with up to 6 of everyone. Real PITA. Disabeld WLM and don't have the problem anymore.

David

Success100 04-22-2008 10:50 AM

happens to me with all the default contacts, such as "*2 customer service" i think it has something to do with how the device handles conflicts. (exchange defaults)

jerryyyyy 04-22-2008 11:16 AM

It used to be with ActiveSync you had the option of combining when you reset the PDA. You had to be careful or you got double. This does not seem to happen with Vista (no options), in my hands. I have had to reset many times because there are so many sync errors. I have found you will get a synch error requiring replacement of all contacts if you interrupt a sync in progress, so I watch out as I have 3000 contacts... not popular, just the end result of a long career in academics.

JDM_SOHC 04-22-2008 12:58 PM

well jerry u still have that option, but for some reason it still doubled mine up... i erased all of my contacts, did a PIM backup for contacts, selected "DELETE ALL AND ADD NEW" and it still added double.. so thats when i was like fah-q mogul u win this one *****..!!

IBGregR 04-22-2008 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdmsohc22 (Post 256577)
well jerry u still have that option, but for some reason it still doubled mine up... i erased all of my contacts, did a PIM backup for contacts, selected "DELETE ALL AND ADD NEW" and it still added double.. so thats when i was like fah-q mogul u win this one *****..!!

I'm not sure if I follow what you did...but...if you are saying that you did a restore with PIM Backup and then did a sync...then that's exactly what I did and got double entries. I no longer back up my contacts with PIM Backup and just let activesync do its magic. Same thing for emails. They got doubled up too. So, the only thing I use PIM Backup for is text msgs...and only if there is something I just can't live without and have to have restored.

JDM_SOHC 04-22-2008 08:58 PM

yeah i finallllllly got it... i did another PIM backup after i deleted ALLLL my contacts "on purpose" to try n start over again with it, an it worked but dude fawk all that im Windows Mobile Device Center'd til i die from now on lol... "im a vista guy" =)

IBGregR 04-22-2008 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdmsohc22 (Post 257092)
yeah i finallllllly got it... i did another PIM backup after i deleted ALLLL my contacts "on purpose" to try n start over again with it, an it worked but dude fawk all that im Windows Mobile Device Center'd til i die from now on lol... "im a vista guy" =)

Yeah...I use the term 'activesync' as a generic name for all of that crap. I'm vista all the way too. I don't actually connect my mogul to my pc and sync it that way....I use a corporate exchange server and all of my contacts sync via activesync on the phone itself over the air. Glad to hear you finally got it worked out. I know it is a huge pain...and dont really ever want to have to go through it again myself! :mrgreen:

No1ustad 04-23-2008 02:44 AM

there's also a outlook plugin you can get that will erase doubled contacts in outlook

TheBundo 04-23-2008 03:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by No1ustad (Post 257413)
there's also a outlook plugin you can get that will erase doubled contacts in outlook

Do you have a name or link?

JDM_SOHC 04-23-2008 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheBundo (Post 257433)
Do you have a name or link?

x2 id like to kno as well..

No1ustad 04-23-2008 05:48 PM

here you go, does appointments, tasks, and contacts, should work with vista too and outlook 2007. i have it on outlook 2002 running fine. feel free to say thanks and enjoy! ;)
http://www.vaita.com/Bin/ODIR.exe

laynpipeallday 04-24-2008 09:30 PM

im so happy i am not the only one that had this problem. it happend to my contacts and my music files. I had to delete every one and now i dont sync automatically i use the old school drag and drop. works much better