PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2008, 08:01 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Cricket Mogul PPC 6800
Carrier: cricket

crwinger is keeping up the good workcrwinger is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Other Methods to make a cab file

Is there any other method other than wince cab manager for making a cab file? Need to utilize reg edits and exe's preferably something free....
Old 04-19-2008, 08:35 PM
SuperNoob
Pocket PC: iPhone 5s
Carrier: TMobile

rstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation level
Re: Other Methods to make a cab file

Quote:
Originally Posted by crwinger View Post
Is there any other method other than wince cab manager for making a cab file? Need to utilize reg edits and exe's preferably something free....
Try this...
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showpost.p...9&postcount=23

Old 04-20-2008, 02:22 PM
Post Master General
Pocket PC: White Evo: Myn's TPT RLS5, Stock Kernel
Carrier: The "NOW" Network

InvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributions

Thx rstoy, i found that as an alternative, but dont really use it myself cause i could never find decent instructions on how to use it... win ce cab manager is still king in my book.

Best... Member... Ever...
Old 04-20-2008, 05:49 PM
Bringer of Good Things
Pocket PC: HTC TITAN
Carrier: AT&T

GoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Post Re: Other Methods to make a cab file

Quote:
Originally Posted by crwinger View Post
Sure... you can always use the tried and true "manual" method:

First, download the Microsoft CAB command line tools and extract the zip to your Windows\System32 folder on your computer (not on the phone).

Next, you'll need a _setup.xml file. I recommend the attached sample file. I called it _setup.txt, but when you save it, call it _setup.xml instead of .txt.

Now, you can use this template for anything you want to do. Here's how:

Your _setup.xml file must have the following beginning and end:
<wap-provisioningdoc>
...stuff here...
</wap-provisioningdoc>

Where you see "...stuff here..." that's the following sections:
<characteristic type="Install">
<parm name="InstallPhase" value="install" />
<parm name="OSVersionMin" value="5.0" />
<parm name="OSVersionMax" value="7.0" />
<parm name="AppName" value="Application Name" />
<parm name="InstallDir" value="%CE2%" translation="install" />
</characteristic>
%CE2% is the equivalent of \Windows. %CE1% is the equivalent of Program Files. So if you want to use \Program Files\MyApp, you need to use %CE1%\MyApp. The rest of the parameters above are pretty obvious.
<characteristic type="FileOperation">
<characteristic type="%CE11%\Games" translation="install">
<characteristic type="MakeDir" />
<characteristic type="Shortcut.lnk" translation="install">
<characteristic type="Shortcut">
<parm name="Source" value="%InstallDir%\Program.exe" translation="install" />
</characteristic>
</characteristic>
</characteristic>
<characteristic type="%InstallDir%" translation="install">
<characteristic type="MakeDir" />
<characteristic type="Filename.ext" translation="install">
<characteristic type="Extract">
<parm name="Source" value="Filename.001" />
</characteristic>
</characteristic>
</characteristic>
</characteristic>
This section handles file extraction and shortcut creation. %CE17% is \Windows\Start Menu, %CE11% is \Windows\Start Menu\Programs (which is generally recommended). %InstallDir% means the directory specified in the first section above. Note: *.000 and *.999 are rarely needed. Sometimes the CeSetup.dll is the *.999 file that performs some post-install registrations, but I have to see one that is actually required. The *.000 is what is created by WinCE Cab Manager and other compilers to basically do the same thing as _setup.xml. It is generally not necessary (some exceptions that I won't get into here).
<characteristic type="Registry">
<characteristic type="REG_KEY_PATH">
<parm name="REG_NAME" value="REG_VALUE" datatype="string" />
<noparam name="Test"
</characteristic>
<nocharacteristic name="REG_KEY_PATH" />
</characteristic>
This section handles registry edits. Basically, you have the HKLM and HKCU paths where REG_KEY_PATH is, then you have REG_NAME and REG_VALUE appropriately, ie. ParameterName = 1, where datatype is either string or integer (string or dword). Incidentally, noparam name="Test" means that you delete the value. nocharacteristic name="REG_KEY_PATH" means that you delete the entire key. Be extremely careful using those!!

Now, to put your files in place, let's say I want to cab up a file called MyApp.exe. To cab it, it should be 8 characters.###, such as 000MyApp.001, 000MyDLL.002, etc. Put them in the same files as your _setup.xml. I recommend somewhere simple like C:\MyCAB.

When you're ready, open a command prompt and use "cd \MyCab" to quickly get to that directory. Here's the command you need to make your cab:
cabarc n myapp.cab *
There ya go, you have a nice CAB with your files and _setup.xml file.

I'll post some more tricks in a follow-up post.
Attached Files
File Type: txt _setup.txt (1.2 KB, 39 views) Click for barcode!
Old 04-20-2008, 05:49 PM
Bringer of Good Things

GoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation level

Some more FileOperations tricks:

Delete an Existing File:

<characteristic type="%CE17%\Office Mobile\icon.lnk" translation="install">
<characteristic type="Delete">
<parm name="ForceDelete" />
</characteristic>
</characteristic>

Delete an Existing Folder:

<characteristic type="%CE11%\Games" translation="install">
<characteristic type="RemoveDir" />
</characteristic>

This space reserved for future tricks. Incidentally, if someone knows of a way within _setup.xml to force a reboot after install, I'd appreciate knowing it.

Last edited by GoodThings2Life; 04-20-2008 at 06:01 PM.
Old 04-20-2008, 06:11 PM
Post Master General

InvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributions

that's a great, thorough explanation. the best and most concise i've seen on manual cab creation.
Old 04-20-2008, 09:35 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

djlenoir is keeping up the good workdjlenoir is keeping up the good work

Thanks for that great tutorial. To expand on some of the default Windows CE strings available, here is a list:

Value Standard directory
%CE1% \Program Files
%CE2% \Windows
%CE3% \Windows\Desktop
%CE4% \Windows\StartUp
%CE5% \My Documents
%CE6% \Program Files\Accessories
%CE7% \Program Files\Communications
%CE8% \Program Files\Games
%CE9% \Program Files\Pocket Outlook
%CE10% \Program Files\Office
%CE11% \Windows\Programs
%CE12% \Windows\Programs\Accessories
%CE13% \Windows\Programs\Communications
%CE14% \Windows\Programs\Games
%CE15% \Windows\Fonts
%CE16% \Windows\Recent
%CE17% \Windows\Favorites
This post has been thanked 3 times.
Old 04-20-2008, 09:36 PM
Post Master General

Quote:
Originally Posted by djlenoir View Post
Thanks for that great tutorial. To expand on some of the default Windows CE strings available, here is a list:

Value Standard directory
%CE1% \Program Files
%CE2% \Windows
%CE3% \Windows\Desktop
%CE4% \Windows\StartUp
%CE5% \My Documents
%CE6% \Program Files\Accessories
%CE7% \Program Files\Communications
%CE8% \Program Files\Games
%CE9% \Program Files\Pocket Outlook
%CE10% \Program Files\Office
%CE11% \Windows\Programs
%CE12% \Windows\Programs\Accessories
%CE13% \Windows\Programs\Communications
%CE14% \Windows\Programs\Games
%CE15% \Windows\Fonts
%CE16% \Windows\Recent
%CE17% \Windows\Favorites
Thanks that's VERY helpful as well!
Old 04-27-2008, 11:13 PM
Post Master General

Ok i need to bump this... for the value standard directory, is there an entry for Storage Card? if i want to install something to the card vs. the device, how do i pull that off? thanks in advance this thread is a goldmine for people in the know.
Old 04-27-2008, 11:44 PM
Bringer of Good Things

Quote:
Originally Posted by nautica2450 View Post
Ok i need to bump this... for the value standard directory, is there an entry for Storage Card? if i want to install something to the card vs. the device, how do i pull that off? thanks in advance this thread is a goldmine for people in the know.
I'll check if there's a variable for it, but I usually just use "\Storage Card" (without quotes) as the path.
This post has been thanked 1 times.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan