PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2008, 11:51 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Titan
Carrier: Verizon

mr_hyde is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Newbie getting started on Titan

Greetings everyone. This is my first post but I have been a moderator in other forums and I appreciate the mantra of read, read, read. I've been tinkering with electronics since cell phones weighed 12 pounds and came in large bags but it never occurred to me that I could customize the software on a phone until I bought my xv6800 and was misled by the sales guy that it could tether to my mac laptop. I wasn't too excited about spending $60/month for the feature anyway so google brought me here!

Here are a few things I have learned in the few days since I started to read here.

1. Before doing anything to the phone I used PIM Backup to save all of my contacts and messages. This worked great and I saved everything to the memory card. All of this info is erased doing any flashes so the backup is a must.
2. To do anything with the phone, you must first unlock the unit. I used hard-spl-mfg and it worked fine.
3. After you unlock, you can load other ROM setups on the phone. I wanted to get around verizon's crippled WM6 so I loaded dcd-1.6.7_vzw. This worked fine too.

The phone worked fine for a few hours and then it started to have issues waking from sleep. It simply won't. I have to do a reset (with the stylus in the hole at the bottom) or pull the battery. It will boot up and act fine - work flawlessly with everything until the sleep button is pushed (or it goes to sleep from inactivity). Then it will not wake. Incidentally, it won't ring through calls or messages in this state either.

I got impatient when unlocking and loading dcd167 and I don't think I have a proper factory backup to restore to. I have a lot of reading to do but if anyone sees any obvious errors in my very limited understanding of the process, please point it out. I've initially searched for 'wake' and 'sleep' and 'froze' and not found specific posts on my issue.

I'm excited to be here and appreciate the opportunity to learn some new skills. Thanks!
-hyde
Old 04-24-2008, 12:39 AM
The Pusher Man
Pocket PC: BB
Carrier: Sprint - Simply Everything

Lsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on repLsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on repLsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on repLsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on repLsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on repLsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on repLsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on repLsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on repLsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on repLsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on repLsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Re: Newbie getting started on Titan

Welcome here..............
Sounds like a flaw in the Rom, nothing you did yourself. Try it again or switch Rom's...............
Old 04-24-2008, 12:45 AM
Lurker
Threadstarter

mr_hyde is a n00b

Thanks man. I'm trying to decide to go back to stock and start over or push forward with another ROM. I'm still trying to understand the whole ROM / Radio thing. What, in laymen's terms are the differences in the files? I did this ROM revision without a separate radio. Was the radio included or do perhaps they don't match which contributes to the problem? I'm enjoying this except for the part about my phone not working ...
-hyde
Old 04-24-2008, 12:56 AM
The Pusher Man
Pocket PC: BB
Carrier: Sprint - Simply Everything

Lsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on repLsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on repLsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on repLsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on repLsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on repLsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on repLsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on repLsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on repLsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on repLsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on repLsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Most custom Roms if all don't have a radio in the RUU, and the kitchen does not include a radio either. I would imagine you could find your most recent radio in the FTP site or by downloading and installing your services providers newest update. Custom Roms are kind of hit and miss. Some work better than others but most have small bugs. Best advice I have is read and do some info searching about the Rom before flashing it. If you flash back to stock don't let the updates run with all the bloat ware.
P.s I would say you should always have the most recent radio in your phone.

Last edited by Lsme420; 04-24-2008 at 12:59 AM.
Old 04-24-2008, 05:03 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

mr_hyde is a n00b

I got it back to stock and everything is working like when I got it. Now I can take my time and figure out exactly what I want to do with it. Thanks for the suggestions and everyone who posts and supports this board. I look forward to many more fun conversations!
-hyde
Old 04-25-2008, 09:11 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: xv6800/Mogul

cycomachead is just getting started

That's good. If you do decide to flash to a new ROM (customized WinMo version) and new radio (the hardware's firmware essentially) you'll ned to call Verizon to re-authenticate your phone. It's normal and takes a few seconds. Just tell the guy that you did a hard reset and have a 'strange message'.

Also one of the great new things about the newer ROMs is that you can use GPS and use EVDO Rev A for faster data speeds.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan