PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2008, 12:04 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: mogul
Carrier: sprint

bbristol is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
USB plug on phone

I have done a bit of searching about this issue but i have not been able to find anything. My searching skills are not the best in the world.

I have an issue with the usb port on the phone.
The phone started acting up about 2 weeks after upgrading the FW to the latest HTC release.
When ever I powercycle the phone it boots into the bootstrap (bootloader). The only way to get to boot into Winmob is to plug in the usb cable from the pc to the phone or the headset and do a soft reset. Then the phone boots into winmob.
The phone also is unable to sync with the pc. I have tried many cables and at least 2 pc, running XP. When its plugged in, the new hardware found thing runs. It sees it it is a mobile device but reports that it was not installed correctly. Device manager shows the device with an exclamation point.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled active sync. I even did a hard reset. Neither of this helped. I cant even reload the FW because the FW loader from HTC does not see the device. I have tried to load the FW from bootstrap and from winmob. Every time the installer reports it does not see the phone connected.

Up until last night my headphones worked with the phone. Now it does not. The phone acts like they are not installed.

I am still able to charge the phone, just not connect the phone to any pc.

Has anyone else seen this, or have some ideas on a fix?

Last edited by bbristol; 04-07-2008 at 12:26 PM.
Old 04-07-2008, 01:24 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: 6800
Carrier: Sprint

coachigdon is a n00b
Re: USB plug on phone

I am also having problems with my USB port. It seems to charge fine(maybe slow), but I cannot get Active Sync(Vista) to detect the phone.
This started for me on Friday, and I am trying to figure out if I installed something that broke it. I have reset the device, rebooted the laptop, tried to connect via bluetooth, and finally removed the device from my connections.
Still working on it, but any input would be appreciated.
Old 04-07-2008, 01:43 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy Note 2

bkhoste knows their stuffbkhoste knows their stuffbkhoste knows their stuffbkhoste knows their stuffbkhoste knows their stuffbkhoste knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachigdon View Post
I am also having problems with my USB port. It seems to charge fine(maybe slow), but I cannot get Active Sync(Vista) to detect the phone.
This started for me on Friday, and I am trying to figure out if I installed something that broke it. I have reset the device, rebooted the laptop, tried to connect via bluetooth, and finally removed the device from my connections.
Still working on it, but any input would be appreciated.
Don't quote me on this, but I don't think Active Sync works with Vista. I think you need Mobile Device Center to sync with Vista. My wife has the Q9c and it would not sync, I downloaded Mobile Device Center and it synced right up. You may want to start there.
Gadget/Phone History: Motorola DynaTAC 8000x; Casio BOSS; Palm Vx; Palm m130; Palm Tungsten T; Sanyo 7300; Sanyo Katana; PPC-6700; Titan; Mogul; Touch Pro, Palm Pre; HTC EVO, Motorola Photon; Samsung Galaxy Note 2 .
Old 04-07-2008, 02:50 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: mogul
Carrier: sprint
Threadstarter

bbristol is a n00b

I swung my the Sprint repair shop at lunch. They also could not get the phone to connect to a PC. Since I don't have the insurance I have to go back on HTC. I have to call some number for a place on the East coast.
I just hope I don't have to waist to much time on the phone with them.

I agree Vista does not use active sync.
Old 04-07-2008, 03:04 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: 6800

coachigdon is a n00b

Sorry, yes, Mobile Device Center. I had problems until my device charged completely. My device also charged much more slowly while connected to the USB port. I am wondering if the port is underpowered. Either way, deleting the device's connection from the device center, rebooting the laptop, charging the device completely, and then connecting seemed to work.
Thanks

oh, and also I had to reset my device.

Last edited by coachigdon; 04-07-2008 at 03:12 PM.
Old 04-07-2008, 03:49 PM
Halfway to VIP Status

dkincaid is keeping up the good workdkincaid is keeping up the good workdkincaid is keeping up the good work

If you use the USB connector a lot (and let's face it, we all sync, so who doesn't) over time the leads will either get dirty or bent down so they don't make a good connection. To test it out, plug the USB connector in and push it to the side to make a tighter connection.

I fixed this problem by cleaning the leads with rubbing alcohol and also using a pin to carefully bend them back into position. Don't do this unless you are prepared to break your phone! I don't want anyone screaming at me when they mistakenly break a pin and think it's my fault!

Hope this helps.
Old 04-07-2008, 04:18 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy Note 2

bkhoste knows their stuffbkhoste knows their stuffbkhoste knows their stuffbkhoste knows their stuffbkhoste knows their stuffbkhoste knows their stuff

I read somewhere on here that the mogul does a "trickle" charge while on USB, but does not charge like it was on a wall plug.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan