PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2008, 09:04 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC 6800

c3ajeff is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Exclamation Qwest to Verizon Possible?

According to Verizon, the HTC-PPC-6800 Titan/Mogul can be used on their network (as they are CDMA, like Sprint/Qwest) if it is unlocked from Sprint/Qwest.

I need to unlock a Qwest-branded 6800 so it can be switched over to Verizon.

If it's possible, can I please have a step-by-step on how to unlock this phone so it can be used on Verizon's network (again, according to Verizon it only needs to be unlocked, they do the rest of what may need to be done to make it work on their network.)

I have read the threads here about unlocking and needing certain numbers from the phone to unlock it, but it seems like I'm missing some steps needed to unlock the phone.

I really, really appreciate your help and thank you in advance. This cool phone is nearly useless until I can switch it over.

Jeff
Old 04-03-2008, 11:35 PM
Oldguy
Pocket PC: Moto DROID
Carrier: vzw

nuguy knows their stuffnuguy knows their stuffnuguy knows their stuffnuguy knows their stuffnuguy knows their stuffnuguy knows their stuff
Re: Qwest to Verizon Possible?

try flashing the "stock verizon rom" from the uprgade thread...

Have Wifi and GPS on your phone???
Check out Navizon. It's $$$ in your pocket!
http://my.navizon.com/Webapps/UserAd..._code=5E5D5D5F
Navizon- Get paid $s to use your phones GPS & Wifi!

My Navizon Thread:
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=21590
Old 04-04-2008, 02:58 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

c3ajeff is a n00b

I have searched and searched and found bits and pieces of threads that talk about flashing the Original Verizon ROM but I also read how folks who did it had problems with functionality. Has this been resolved? Since Verizon says the phone is compatible with their network and that it only needs to be "unlocked" can someone please tell me if this (flashing a Verizon ROM onto a Qwest-locked PPC-6800) will indeed give me what I need?? I don't want to brick the phone, but it's also unusable as it is unless I can convert it to Verizon.

Thanks again

Jeff
Old 04-04-2008, 03:44 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: MOT ic902 temoporarily, but Mogul Permanantly
Carrier: Sprint

TrueArsenic is a n00b

Hey Jeff! Welcome to PPCGeeks!

The odds that you will truely "Brick" the phone are slim. Once you flash 1 Rom to another, it gets a lot easier, but even if you have issues with 1 rom, it's still pretty simple to go back to where you started.

It's worth a shot! Most likely, the worst case scenario is if you have trouble with the verizon ROM (which should be pretty safe), you'd just have to flash it back to the Qwest ROM.

It should be pretty painless. Just read through the Upgrades section and read the sticky's about flashing for dummies (that's how i learned), and you'll be well on your way!

But yes, flashing to the Verizon Rom should give you exactly what you need. No rom out there is 100% flawless. Everyone will have issues with it, and forums like this one are more focused on resolving issues, than talking about how awesome something works, i've found out. I know there are a TON of people with these phones who have had no issues at all, but as humans, we only complain about the bad stuff, so that's probably the only reason you would get the impression it has a ton of issues. I wish we could encourage people to post the good reports as well!

Anyway, i'd give it a shot though! I've got faith in ya man!

Last edited by TrueArsenic; 04-04-2008 at 03:50 PM. Reason: spelling and stuff
Old 04-05-2008, 10:23 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

c3ajeff is a n00b

Thanks for the encouragement! I'll give it a shot and let you all know how it goes. Now, I have to find the "dummies" section...

Jeff
Old 04-23-2008, 01:50 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: WM 6.1
Carrier: Verizon

beluczywo is a n00b

Jeff:
Don't waste your time -- at least not yet. I tried the same thing with an Alltel 6800. I could tell you how to unlock, flash to verizon stock, the whole thing. I had the phone showing the Verizon logo. When I called Verizon, they said they couldn't see the ESN in their wireless manager. After 1.5 hours with a supervisor they finally said to go into a store.

2 hours in the store with a pretty decent tech, the store manager, and by dumb luck the regional data guy, the consensus was that even though I had the right ROM, the right PRL (told it to use Verizon towers), the towers were seeing it, it had my phone number in there, right NAM, right SID -- they won't do it.

Verizon preloads ESNs from phones THEY buy from utstarcom. It is as simple as typing in a foreign ESN but they won't do it. They gave me some malarkey about going "open source" in July, but wouldn't commit that the date wouldn't slip. When I asked if they would then register all hardware, they said they would roll it out device by device with PDAs being last because they are "complicated". Got some additional BS about licenses from utstarcom, etc.

I did talk them into selling me a verizon 6800 for $200 after my corporate discounts (about 20%) and with a new 2 year contract, but I sure like the ergonomics of the Alltel case better. Please just save yourself the hassle or at worst, wait until July. I'm trying to get the Alltel back to stock to sell on eBay and get my money back out of it.

BTW -- stupid Verizon doesn't sell their phone with a CRADLE, HEADPHONES, or a HOLSTER -- sheesh, guys, a $400 phone that everyone else sells for $150 with activation and you have to nickle-and-dime us out of $20 worth of accessories?

That's Verizon for you.
I truly feel like it proves the saying "standing on the shoulders of giants".
I've been in software for 20 years and I still can't see how you've done it.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan