PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2008, 06:53 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

gbm85 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargbm85 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargbm85 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargbm85 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
GPS Battery Benchmark

I know some Kaiser users have tested the effect of GPS on the battery, but I haven't seen any Titan users do it, so I figured I'd give it a whack myself. If this has already been posted somewhere, I apologize.

I used acbPowerMeter 1.1 in this test. All today plugins were disabled. Backlight was set to the lowest level. Backlight always on, automatic power-off disabled. I soft-reset right before the test. For the GPS test, I opened TGPS, waited for a fix, then switched back to acbPowerMeter and reset the graph. The results:

Two minutes at idle:
52 mA minimum, 136 mA max, 80 mA average. 2 mAh used in 2 minutes.

Two minutes with TGPS in background:
198 mA minimum, 252 mA max, 205 mA average. 7 mAh used in 2 minutes.

So that should give you some idea of the impact on the battery with GPS active.
Old 02-26-2008, 07:10 PM
morsus mihi
Pocket PC: iPhone 4
Carrier: AT&T

schettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Re: GPS Battery Benchmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbm85 View Post
Two minutes at idle:
52 mA minimum, 136 mA max, 80 mA average. 2 mAh used in 2 minutes.

Two minutes with TGPS in background:
198 mA minimum, 252 mA max, 205 mA average. 7 mAh used in 2 minutes.

So that should give you some idea of the impact on the battery with GPS active.
Whoa, that's pretty dreadful... 120mA for the GPS. Hm. A bluetooth gps receiver is looking better (bluetooth draws 10-20mA when on)

You sure that's not doing some EVDO data? I guess its powered down when the unit is suspended? If so, that might not be too bad, but still... wow. 10 hours of that and you're on vapors.
Old 02-26-2008, 07:13 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Treo 700wx/Mogul/TouchPro/TouchPro2/EVO rooted

itsall_cooool is keeping up the good workitsall_cooool is keeping up the good work

Car Charger!
Old 02-26-2008, 07:24 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

gbm85 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargbm85 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargbm85 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargbm85 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

No, EV-DO was not active at all during either test.

The car charger idea is a good one, but it's hard to find one that puts out the 1 full amp that HTC phones like.
Old 02-26-2008, 08:42 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: P400 (TITA100) from Telus QC
Carrier: Telus

alex_electro is a n00b

Trick for car charger.... I was bored to buy car charger for each cell. And i bought a DC to AC converter that can charge my lap-top to for the price of a car charger at Telus-Stores...And still at Telus store i was advise to nerver charge more than 30 minute periods cause their don't regulate and protect...
Sorry for this Out of topic.
Old 02-27-2008, 01:24 AM
Lurker

PuckSR is a n00b

Read up on GPS.
GPS needs a powerful Amplifier, GPS signals are extraordinarily weak.
This amplifier requires a lot of power. Especially when you have a small antenna designed to fit into a mobile phone.

It isn't horrible though, long term usage is typically done in a car...so a charger is available.
I don't know that I would use this for a hiking GPS system, but then again this phone wouldn't last very long in that scenario anyway.
Old 02-27-2008, 01:31 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Mogul > TP1 > TP2 > Arrive > SGS3 > SGS4 > LG G4

esqueue knows their stuffesqueue knows their stuffesqueue knows their stuffesqueue knows their stuffesqueue knows their stuffesqueue knows their stuff
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_electro View Post
Trick for car charger.... I was bored to buy car charger for each cell. And i bought a DC to AC converter that can charge my lap-top to for the price of a car charger at Telus-Stores...And still at Telus store i was advise to nerver charge more than 30 minute periods cause their don't regulate and protect...
Sorry for this Out of topic.
Or just buy a regular 12 dc to 120 ac converter for $15 and use your existing home charger. I've been doing that for years to charge phones, handheld game systems and laptops.

This is on topic IMO.
Old 02-27-2008, 01:51 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckSR View Post
Read up on GPS.
GPS needs a powerful Amplifier, GPS signals are extraordinarily weak.
This amplifier requires a lot of power. Especially when you have a small antenna designed to fit into a mobile phone.

It isn't horrible though, long term usage is typically done in a car...so a charger is available.
I don't know that I would use this for a hiking GPS system, but then again this phone wouldn't last very long in that scenario anyway.
I'm not surprised by these results at all. I know that GPS requires a lot of power. My bluetooth receiver used a regular Nokia cell phone battery, and doing just GPS and bluetooth, it only lasted about 10 hours. I did this test so that myself and others could get a more exact idea about how much power GPS uses instead of just saying "a lot."
Old 04-30-2008, 06:38 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC touch

bob13bob is just getting started

Quote:
Or just buy a regular 12 dc to 120 ac converter for $15 and use your existing home charger. I've been doing that for years to charge phones, handheld game systems and laptops.
QFT, you the have a multitasker in your care instead of one for each device. It's a better tool.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan