PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2008, 11:41 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Evo 4G
Carrier: Sprint

The Sapient is keeping up the good workThe Sapient is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Which Opera is better

While I will use PIE for some specific applications, Opera Mini 4 with Jbed is the best all around browser, as far as I am concerned. I do have a couple of beefs with it. I wish it would landscape in the other direction, so that I wouldn't have to turn my phone 120 degrees when I want to use my keyboard. I also wish I didn't have to give it permission to access the network every time I started it. Maybe there are good ways to deal with these minor annoyances?
Old 04-03-2008, 01:13 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Mogul, Sprint Touch Pro 2, Samsung Epic 4G

NipTuck170 is a n00b
Send a message via AIM to NipTuck170

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sapient View Post
I also wish I didn't have to give it permission to access the network every time I started it. Maybe there are good ways to deal with these minor annoyances?
You shouldn't have to. The first time you opened it and it asked you, you should have had the option of always allowing the programming and not asking you again.

I was wondering if anyone here did the rom upgrade. I had a really old rom, i think 2.09, but opera mini 4 worked perfectly on my mogul without a single glitch in the java that came with the phone. i loved it. But yesterday i updated my rom to 3.35, and now all it does is crash all the time, i hate it. Has this happened to anyone else? Maybe the esmertec java can help me? What is it?
Old 04-03-2008, 01:49 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Vogue (Sprint)

TucanMobile is just getting started

You can read about Opera Mini and jbed here:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=344095

and download jbed here:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=370786

Jbed should fix all your crashing issues for you guys. It did for me and everyone else I've read about hasn't had issues with Opera Mini since.

Opera Mini 4.1 beta that is out is pretty nice. Not so great if you have a phone with no physical keypad since the direct input in the web address bar doesn't work. Instead though you just use the old style web address input. Other than that you can save web pages, download files directly through Opera Mini, and some other cool stuff. It's over at http://www.operamini.com/beta/

As for mobile browsers I don't have a Mogul, but I would rank currently Opera Mini 4(or 4.1) as #1 for easiest to use and browse, (Skyfire would probably go in here or after Opera Mobile but I haven't gotten my invite so only speculation from what I've read), Then Opera Mobile 9.405 *leak*, then Netfront 3.5, then PIE at a distant last (because honestly PIE is awful).

Last edited by TucanMobile; 04-03-2008 at 02:02 AM.
Old 04-03-2008, 04:16 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

fryguy1 is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sapient View Post
I also wish I didn't have to give it permission to access the network every time I started it. Maybe there are good ways to deal with these minor annoyances?
You should give this a try. It works great for me. It gets rid of asking for permission. Pretty simple also.

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?p=236776

Quote:
Originally Posted by banzaiwolfe View Post
I believe this is the editor you were talking about. You need to get the selector.utf file from \Windows\appdb and put it in the same directory as the fix.exe included in the zip. Then just run the .exe and and put the new selector.utf back in \Windows\appdb. I hope this is what you meant.
Old 04-03-2008, 06:38 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Threadstarter

noreboy is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoof View Post
I pretty much cant run any other programs if im running opera mobile 9.5 =(
Ok, so I'm not the only one with this program. If I run 9.5 with any other app running, I'm almost always garanteed to have Opera crash within minutes or so.
Old 04-03-2008, 09:21 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Evo 4G

The Sapient is keeping up the good workThe Sapient is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by fryguy1 View Post
You should give this a try. It works great for me. It gets rid of asking for permission. Pretty simple also.

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?p=236776
Thanks much. I'll give that a try.
Old 04-03-2008, 09:35 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Treo Pro
Carrier: T Mobile

cykococo is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via Yahoo to cykococo

Quote:
Originally Posted by noreboy View Post
Which Opera is better to run on the Mugol? Mobile, mini, and what versions. I'm currently running Mobile 9.5, which I'm starting to hate because it has to many bugs, and takes up over 30% program memory alone. When ever I run 9.5 my phone runs on about 90something % memory, making it hard to even navigate through anything.
I too have been searching for that perfect web browser as I use my phone truly as a laptop most of the time. I have tried Skyfire, which is good but doesnt support multiple line editing which I need. Great program, never crashed or hung up. Opera Mobile for me at least always hangs and consumes too much memory. Opera Mini 4.1 is what I currently have up and running and it works beautifully for me. Have not had a lock up or hang up yet, knock on wood, and have not run into a page or issue with editing either.

Old 04-03-2008, 09:38 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

Twinsen is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via ICQ to Twinsen Send a message via AIM to Twinsen Send a message via Yahoo to Twinsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue4shizzle View Post
man, its came a long a$$ way since 3, like i said you need to download the newer version with the esmeretec java an you will notice how much you been missing out on
What I meant by "tried with 3" is 3 different Moguls. Regardless of what version I run, Opera Mini constantly crashes and I'm basically forced to use the piece of crap that is IE.
Old 04-03-2008, 09:51 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

Twinsen is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via ICQ to Twinsen Send a message via AIM to Twinsen Send a message via Yahoo to Twinsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by TucanMobile View Post
You can read about Opera Mini and jbed here:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=344095

and download jbed here:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=370786

Jbed should fix all your crashing issues for you guys. It did for me and everyone else I've read about hasn't had issues with Opera Mini since.

Opera Mini 4.1 beta that is out is pretty nice. Not so great if you have a phone with no physical keypad since the direct input in the web address bar doesn't work. Instead though you just use the old style web address input. Other than that you can save web pages, download files directly through Opera Mini, and some other cool stuff. It's over at http://www.operamini.com/beta/

As for mobile browsers I don't have a Mogul, but I would rank currently Opera Mini 4(or 4.1) as #1 for easiest to use and browse, (Skyfire would probably go in here or after Opera Mobile but I haven't gotten my invite so only speculation from what I've read), Then Opera Mobile 9.405 *leak*, then Netfront 3.5, then PIE at a distant last (because honestly PIE is awful).
I'll give this a shot, already installed jBed, but since I'm at a computer on my laptop, no reason to be browsing on my phone.
Old 04-03-2008, 09:52 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Mogul

shaolin77 is a n00b

Hey everyone,
Just wondering, what is the latest version of Esmertec Jbed, I'm currently running Esmertec Jbed version 20070802.2.1 and wanted to know if there was a lastest and greatest version.

Thanks!!!

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan