PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2008, 03:40 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: PPC-6800
Carrier: Alltel

kemptont is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
got a few ?'s

newb here... obvoiusly 1st post. been searching here for a couple of days now and decided to register today to chat with some of you pocket pc genious's.

Just bought an Alltel PPC-6800 aka mogul... titan... pain in the arse to navigate through right now.

Trying to pick up on some of the acronyms you guys are using. ROM? obviously some time of firmware/software term?!?

Can't find in the phone which Windows OS im using. Alltel says 6; forums say 5.

Changing text message tone. found it once. searched and searched, cant find it again.

Skins and roms. see a lot of upgrades for sprint and verizon i guess (titan?) If i were to load one of these custom roms on my alltel, is that going to negatively effect my phone in some way.

My experience is mostly flashing and some bricking (lol) of wireless routers. never a phone before. got some step by step instructions... seem pretty basic. But my concern is sprint rom on alltel or does the carrier not make a difference?

Thanx in advance.
Old 03-31-2008, 04:06 PM
Gettin' Freaky With It
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S5/iPad Air 2
Carrier: Big Red

rainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to rainfreak
Re: got a few ?'s

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemptont View Post
Trying to pick up on some of the acronyms you guys are using. ROM? obviously some time of firmware/software term?!?
Yes, a ROM is a new image for the phone, complete with operating system, ring tones, anything the creator decides to put in it.

Quote:
Can't find in the phone which Windows OS im using. Alltel says 6; forums say 5.
Start --> Settings --> System Tab (bottom) --> About

Will list the version of Windows Mobile at the top (i.e. Windows Mobile 6 Professional)

Quote:
Changing text message tone. found it once. searched and searched, cant find it again.
Start --> Settings --> Personal Tab (bottom) --> Soounds & Notifications --> Notifications Tab (bottom)

In the Event dropdown, choose the event you want to change (i.e. New Text Message)

Quote:
Skins and roms. see a lot of upgrades for sprint and verizon i guess (titan?) If i were to load one of these custom roms on my alltel, is that going to negatively effect my phone in some way.

My experience is mostly flashing and some bricking (lol) of wireless routers. never a phone before. got some step by step instructions... seem pretty basic. But my concern is sprint rom on alltel or does the carrier not make a difference?
I know I have seen some ROM updates and kitchens available for Alltel, but I cannot tell you for sure how they are working as I am with Sprint. Check these out:

Titan Flashing for Dummies: http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=9927

Sprint Official and DCD on Alltel Success Stories: http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=21189
Old 03-31-2008, 04:12 PM
VIP & Proud Member of CBM
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2-Sprint, HTC Evo Fully Rooted-Sprint
Carrier: Sprint Nextel

nxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Rainfreak hit the nail on the head lol. As far as flashing ROMs it is usually a good idea to try and find one for your carrier, so you know it will work until you get more involved with flashing a phone then you can start building your own ROMs
Old 03-31-2008, 04:30 PM
Gettin' Freaky With It
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S5/iPad Air 2
Carrier: Big Red

rainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to rainfreak

Thanks nxtech3... must have been those 12 years I spent earlier in life as a carpenter... though that is probably also the reason that I have 7 vertebrae fused in my neck and now 6 more in my lower back.

Old 03-31-2008, 05:23 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

kemptont is a n00b

thanks a bunch guys. tonight i am going to back up my current rom and start reading through some of these hundreds of threads. i really like some of the today pages posted. going to look into that first... i think. as for the sounds and notifications... and changing text message tones.. i was wanting to play a custom ringtone. kind of like you do for calls. im not seeing my loaded mp3 ringtones. is there another way?
Old 03-31-2008, 05:34 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Motorola Droid
Carrier: Verizon

Nickles knows their stuffNickles knows their stuffNickles knows their stuffNickles knows their stuffNickles knows their stuffNickles knows their stuffNickles knows their stuff

Just take your (small) mp3 files and put them in the Windows\Rings folder..
then they will be selectable when you do your ring tone assignment under 'Notifications'.
Old 03-31-2008, 06:50 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

kemptont is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickles View Post
Just take your (small) mp3 files and put them in the Windows\Rings folder..
then they will be selectable when you do your ring tone assignment under 'Notifications'.
i dont have that folder. i have \my documents\ringtones but not the windows folder. unless its just not viewable while connected to my desktop. is there a way to reprogram and make it look into a different directory than it does. there seems to be a few default ringers/tones that all of the notifications have and then each have maybe five or six different. but only my calls show my mp3's that i have loaded

---edit----
i am finding that \files explorer\windows\rings directory via browsing on my phone. but not on my desktop while hooked up usb. is there a way to transfer files within the phone.

Once again im new at the ppc ordeal. and i thank you guys for helping me out.

Last edited by kemptont; 03-31-2008 at 06:52 PM.
Old 03-31-2008, 06:56 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Motorola Droid
Carrier: Verizon

Nickles knows their stuffNickles knows their stuffNickles knows their stuffNickles knows their stuffNickles knows their stuffNickles knows their stuffNickles knows their stuff

Quote:

---edit----
i am finding that \files explorer\windows\rings directory via browsing on my phone. but not on my desktop while hooked up usb. is there a way to transfer files within the phone.
I have a BT laptop, so what i do is just BT the files directly to my phone.. which lands in the default folder 'My Document'.... then i just move them to where they need to be (in this case Windows\Rings) with Explorer.
Old 03-31-2008, 07:01 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

kemptont is a n00b

explorer. im going to search for that, then probably reply looking for some help.
Old 03-31-2008, 07:05 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

kemptont is a n00b

found resco explorer file manager... is that one of the better ones

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan