PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2008, 05:58 PM
DaGreatOne
Pocket PC: HTC EVO (white)!
Carrier: Sprint

shaun0207 knows their stuffshaun0207 knows their stuffshaun0207 knows their stuffshaun0207 knows their stuffshaun0207 knows their stuffshaun0207 knows their stuffshaun0207 knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via MSN to shaun0207 Send a message via Yahoo to shaun0207 Send a message via Skype™ to shaun0207
TeleNav vs. Other Paid GPS Progrms

Ok Guys....clue me in here.......

If TeleNav does the samething Tom Tom, iGuidiance, etc..... and its only $10 a month, isn't that better than the other programs you have to pay $100's for? Not to mention the amount of space on the device that Tom Tom and the others take up.

I have a 4GB and I just ordered a 8GB so I'm not worried about space. However between paying $10 a month for TeleNav and having Google Maps & Windows Live Search installed on your device as well, shouldn't that be a cheaper all around solution?

Thoughts???????

Old 03-19-2008, 06:05 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint SERO

kilmarac is becoming a great contributor
Re: TeleNav vs. Other Paid GPS Progrms

My opinion.....

It depends on how often you want to update your maps. If your updating your maps yearly ($100-150/year) then theres little to no difference in price. ($10 x 12 months = $120). If you update every other year or longer (not recommended) then its cheaper to buy your maps.

However... Heres where I would prefer to have one with the maps on a card.

Telenav (aka Sprint Nav) Mapquest work great if you start your route where you have internet access. It downloads the entire route, and will work as long as you do not deviate from your course, even if you dont have internet access. If you lose connection, and then decide to go "sightseeing" off your route, the navigation software will fail because you dont have a net connection to update the map.

Google / Live - If you lose net connection, your hosed. Program shuts down with an error.

TomTom, Iguidance - since the maps are stored on your card, even if you dont have net access, you will still be able to navigate and renavigate if you deviate.

So... Long and short... your paying about the same either way. The difference is if you want to be able to navigate irregardless of your net connection.
Old 03-19-2008, 06:07 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Tour hybrid/ EvoRooteD

brol1k is becoming a PPCGeeks regularbrol1k is becoming a PPCGeeks regularbrol1k is becoming a PPCGeeks regularbrol1k is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to brol1k

actually u can get ulimited telenav,text,music,sprint tv,pic mail,and internet all unlimited for $30 a month. Im with telenav but its more a personal choice,telenav has to have data inorder to load the maps and those other that u mentioned saves the maps into the storage card.
Sprint 4g speed:
Old 03-19-2008, 06:10 PM
DaGreatOne
Pocket PC: HTC EVO (white)!
Threadstarter

shaun0207 knows their stuffshaun0207 knows their stuffshaun0207 knows their stuffshaun0207 knows their stuffshaun0207 knows their stuffshaun0207 knows their stuffshaun0207 knows their stuff
Send a message via MSN to shaun0207 Send a message via Yahoo to shaun0207 Send a message via Skype™ to shaun0207

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilmarac View Post
My opinion.....

It depends on how often you want to update your maps. If your updating your maps yearly ($100-150/year) then theres little to no difference in price. ($10 x 12 months = $120). If you update every other year or longer (not recommended) then its cheaper to buy your maps.

However... Heres where I would prefer to have one with the maps on a card.

Telenav (aka Sprint Nav) Mapquest work great if you start your route where you have internet access. It downloads the entire route, and will work as long as you do not deviate from your course, even if you dont have internet access. If you lose connection, and then decide to go "sightseeing" off your route, the navigation software will fail because you dont have a net connection to update the map.

Google / Live - If you lose net connection, your hosed. Program shuts down with an error.

TomTom, Iguidance - since the maps are stored on your card, even if you dont have net access, you will still be able to navigate and renavigate if you deviate.

So... Long and short... your paying about the same either way. The difference is if you want to be able to navigate irregardless of your net connection.
Makes alot of sense now. I keep seeing all these threads back and forth about the multiple programs and it makes it hard to make a choice. I would would rather have the maps loaded to the card if the internet connection became a problem during my trip. it just seems like alot of wasted space on your storage card.
Old 03-19-2008, 06:14 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: TP

elosogrande7076 is keeping up the good workelosogrande7076 is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by brol1k View Post
actually u can get ulimited telenav,text,music,sprint tv,pic mail,and internet all unlimited for $30 a month. Im with telenav but its more a personal choice,telenav has to have data inorder to load the maps and those other that u mentioned saves the maps into the storage card.
And how does one do that?? Please do tell...
________
Cheap glass pipes

Last edited by elosogrande7076; 09-08-2011 at 02:39 PM.
Old 03-19-2008, 07:29 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Sprint Mogul

Wes Janson is a n00b

First off, if you're currently on the $15 unlimited Vision plan, TeleNav (if it's the only extra thing you want) is actually only $5 a month extra.

Kilmarac pretty much nailed the "catch" with TeleNav. It's a great program that automatically re-routes you around traffic congestion (at no extra subscription fee, I might add), gives you turn-by-turn indications with spoken street names, and the maps are server-side and are updated pretty frequently. But the catch is although you have the convenience of not needing a 2GB card to hold your maps, TeleNav needs initial access to a data plan in order to "log-in" and download your route. If you have no service, you can't boot it up. So it's not the ideal partner if you frequently travel across the boonies.

I've also had an asional log-in error issue, where it couldn't verify my account for some reason. It's rare, but it does happen.

But all in all, it really does depend on your traveling habits. I spend most of my time traveling in areas with service, so TeleNav is a no-brainer for me. I don't drive boats, and I don't chase tornadoes in the middle of nowhere. So I don't need on-phone maps.

I also remember reading some of you gluing your faces to your phones on plane rides so you can see where you are using TomTom... Though some planes having the option to show you a GPS map on the back of the seat in front of you notwithstanding... I'd rather spend my time (and storage) watching full-length movies and listening to music on my Mogul rather than staring at a little moving dot. But yeah, that's just me. Lol!
Old 03-19-2008, 10:04 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: EVO 3D
Carrier: SERO Premium

chong67 is keeping up the good workchong67 is keeping up the good workchong67 is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

If you get the software, then you can use your GPS oversea.
Old 03-19-2008, 10:11 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: Juggs is in the MOMENT

Yay 4 Juggs is a trusted member of the communityYay 4 Juggs is a trusted member of the communityYay 4 Juggs is a trusted member of the communityYay 4 Juggs is a trusted member of the communityYay 4 Juggs is a trusted member of the communityYay 4 Juggs is a trusted member of the communityYay 4 Juggs is a trusted member of the communityYay 4 Juggs is a trusted member of the communityYay 4 Juggs is a trusted member of the communityYay 4 Juggs is a trusted member of the communityYay 4 Juggs is a trusted member of the community

i just picked up the garmin mobile xt for my mogul...99 bux gives you unlim updates poi...traffic...weather...etc...havent taken it on the road yet but from playing with it here in the house seems to out perform my standalone gps device in the truck...the best part...you only load the maps you want or need...say you're pretty much in the wny area...you're not gonna load a map for carlsbad are you? no...so you just use the mapping tool to select the area you want and whammy it even loads rte info for you...currently i have all of wny southern ontario erie pa and northe east ohio loaded and the file size that it packs for me on my storage card...82mb...i have a 4 gig card with plenty of space so ill never have to worry as bigger cards get cheaper and cheaper

Old 03-19-2008, 10:11 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: touch pro
Carrier: sprint

cwing is a n00b

Is there a way to have TELENAV speak directions throught your bT headset ?
Old 03-19-2008, 11:15 PM
AWOL
Pocket PC: HTC TouchPro 2 and Samsung Moment

indagroove is keeping up the good workindagroove is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwing View Post
Is there a way to have TELENAV speak directions throught your bT headset ?

Yes with abcBTtoggle

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan