PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Titan (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Tethering with the new ROM (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=21050)

Alpine- 03-12-2008 02:27 PM

Tethering with the new ROM

It is very tempting to tether more often when on the road or mobile now that we have RevA. I had previously tethered with PDAnet using the previous rom.

I wondered if there had been any changes or new registry keys we should be aware of. In a previous thread (I cant find it now) a few specific keys were brought to our attention and it was recommended that we delete them before Tethering.

In the current rom, which keys should we delete and is the situation the same as with previous roms? It is safe to tether occasionally with an unlimited data SERO plan?

Lsme420 03-12-2008 02:37 PM

Re: Tethering with the new ROM

InternetSharing WM 6.0:
Go to [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Comm\InternetSharing]
Then Delete "Extension"="rilphone.dll"
then change "MaxCMCon.... from 1 to 0..
MaxCMCon might be 0 already if so its cool.

InternetSharing WM 6.1:
After that edit the dial "Phone as Modem" to "Sprint PCS"
MaxCMCon will already be 0.

I tether with just unlimited data plan and have not had issues. I wouldn't recommend downloading torrents (GiGs of data) as I feel it would eventually ruin it for all with the "Free" tethering. I know you didn't ask but here are a few more I use with every Rom.

Undock Keyboard
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ControlPanel\Sip\Now
go to DragStyle and change (0) to (1)

A-GPS reg edit
HKLM/Software/HTC/SUPLAGPS/
GPSMode --> Change to 4 (orginal value 2)

faster web browseing..
HKLM\Comm\Tcpip\Parms and changed the TimerWheelSize to Value of 5 from 11

Rev-a
Dial ##778#, choose edit, enter your MSL, go to Data Parameters, Choose Rev. A, Choose Enable/Disable jury is still out on this one but there is a Rev-A thread already so look HERE for your own conclusion.

Mach30SiR 03-12-2008 02:37 PM

From TaylnOne over at XDA:

Sprint HTC Mogul/SERO Notes

It seems Sprint is up to shenanigans in regards to tethering for SERO users. Those of you running Sprint ROMs should navigate to the following registry key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Comm\InternetSharing" and delete the string value named "Extension". This will allow you to connect to the Internet via the Internet Sharing app without the dreaded error 67/authentication errors. Previous to this fix, Mogul SERO users would have to connect to the Internet via another method (such as starting Internet Explorer first) before pressing the Connect button in the the Internet Sharing application.

If you're really paranoid (it has been concluded these entries have no meaning when using Internet Sharing), using a registry editor, navigate to the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\OEM\WModem" key, and set the "CheckProfile", "Multi-NAI" and "WModemDUN" DWORDS to a decimal value of "0".

Alpine- 03-12-2008 02:41 PM

Thanks guys...

Lsme420 can you give a bit of a description of what those other tweaks do (i.e. GPS, etc.)

tonyintn 03-12-2008 03:08 PM

the rev-a part is still in the air most say rev-a is enabled by default no changes needed it should show disable in Mls settings i personally tried both and it is faster is the word disable shows.

jason25 03-12-2008 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lsme420 (Post 214495)
Undock Keyboard

A-GPS reg edit

Could you explain what exactly these two do?

geekwad 03-12-2008 11:18 PM

Internet Sharing is now working. No more "Error Code 67"

Thank you Lsme420 !!!

slowlx 03-13-2008 01:22 AM

I cant get neither Internet sharing nor WModem to work. If i try Internet sharing, all i get is Error Code:67 and reads something about my sprint username/password is wrong..and if I try the WModem, I just get "line is busy". Can anyone please help?

Lsme420 03-13-2008 01:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slowlx (Post 215648)
I cant get neither Internet sharing nor WModem to work. If i try Internet sharing, all i get is Error Code:67 and reads something about my sprint username/password is wrong..and if I try the WModem, I just get "line is busy". Can anyone please help?

Post #2 Follow the InternetSharing edit. Use a app such as Rosco exsplorer or I use MemMaid 2.2 to edit the registry. Post #7 also had the 67 error and fixed it with the edit.
Quote:

Originally Posted by geekwad (Post 215477)
Internet Sharing is now working. No more "Error Code 67"

Thank you Lsme420 !!!

Yup.

Himmad 03-13-2008 01:31 AM

Quote:

InternetSharing

I tried deleting the Extension="rilphone.dll" and it keeps denying me. Anyway around this?

Lsme420 03-13-2008 01:33 AM

what are you using to delete it? If you use the right app it wont deny you.

Himmad 03-13-2008 01:34 AM

Mobile Registry Editor.

Lsme420 03-13-2008 01:35 AM

try a app from HERE like resco or Total Commander....
There are a grip of Registry Editors right in the top post.. Again I use Memmaid and it works for a lot of things.(Ie: Speed/Memory hacks,Clean ram,Ect) its found under the "Cleanup Utilities" a little farther down.

slowlx 03-13-2008 02:23 AM

Thanks LSme420 got the Internet Sharing to work..but still no luck with WModem.

socca1157 03-13-2008 10:20 AM

Now Im excited

dkincaid 03-13-2008 10:30 AM

One thing I had to do was select "Sprint PCS" as opposed to "Phone as Modem". Some people had reported speed drops doing it this way, but I still got Rev A speeds with it.

Vycor 03-13-2008 10:34 AM

I have a Verizon 6800

I do the ##778 SEND and get into the EPST feature... you guys always say enter your MLS code, but if i enter "000000" as my code i can edit it just fine, maybe thats verizon settings.

Anyway I go to DATA PARAMETERS but the only thing there is my packet dial string of #777 - I don't see REV-A anywhere.

What is REV-A, how do I get it?? Im running dcd's setup and all,... any info is appreciated.

dkincaid 03-13-2008 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vycor (Post 216002)
I have a Verizon 6800

I do the ##778 SEND and get into the EPST feature... you guys always say enter your MLS code, but if i enter "000000" as my code i can edit it just fine, maybe thats verizon settings.

Anyway I go to DATA PARAMETERS but the only thing there is my packet dial string of #777 - I don't see REV-A anywhere.

What is REV-A, how do I get it?? Im running dcd's setup and all,... any info is appreciated.

Rev A is currently only available on the Sprint Mogul (the sister to your 6800).

So, short answer...no Rev A for you!

Lsme420 03-13-2008 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dkincaid (Post 215995)
One thing I had to do was select "Sprint PCS" as opposed to "Phone as Modem". Some people had reported speed drops doing it this way, but I still got Rev A speeds with it.

That makes no sense to me that one would be slower they both dial the same number #777. The only difference between The two I know of is the name.....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vycor (Post 216002)
I have a Verizon 6800

Ya the 00000000 will not work with Sprint. That would be to easy and Sprint makes us work for all the little things we do.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dkincaid (Post 216015)
Rev A is currently only available on the Sprint Mogul (the sister to your 6800).

The Sprint Mogul is the 6800. So ya Vycor if Verizon has Rev-A its all you too.

HybriDSM 03-13-2008 11:13 AM

I have the new official Rom and seem to be tethering fine with WMWiFiRouter with no hacks or anything.

drunken_monky 03-13-2008 11:18 AM

Quote:

Undock Keyboard
go to DragStyle and change (0) to (1).

WHAT DOES THIS DO?

Lsme420 03-13-2008 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HybriDSM (Post 216067)
I have the new official Rom and seem to be tethering fine with WMWiFiRouter with no hacks or anything.

With WiFiRouter your not tethering. Your making your phone a WiFi hot spot and your pc is finding it through the WiFi card. Tethering is using your phone as a modem either through usb or bluetooth you are using it as a WiFi router. Cats tether with InternetSharing (installed on your ppc) or PDAnet. InternetSharing is free. But it all gos to the same place right?

Quote:

Originally Posted by drunken_monky (Post 216077)
WHAT DOES THIS DO?
Undock Keyboard

Unlocks/Undocks the keyboard on your screen.
Like if you where to go to settings-personal-input and choose keyboard its that one.
It allows you to move it to the top of your screen rather than having it locked on the bottom.

drunken_monky 03-13-2008 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lsme420 (Post 216141)
Unlocks/Undocks the keyboard on your screen.
Like if you where to go to settings-personal-input and choose keyboard its that one.
It allows you to move it to the top of your screen rather than having it locked on the bottom.

thanx for the info

now the gps reg hack, does it still have the same effects as w/the 3.16?

a_lazy_dude 03-13-2008 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dkincaid (Post 216015)

Incorrect, sir. I have the xv6800 and rev A is in full effect in my area and on my phone. I clocked 1800 kbps down and 580 kbps up, the other night.

HybriDSM 03-13-2008 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lsme420 (Post 216141)
With WiFiRouter your not tethering. Your making your phone a WiFi hot spot and your pc is finding it through the WiFi card. Tethering is using your phone as a modem either through usb or bluetooth you are using it as a WiFi router. Cats tether with InternetSharing (installed on your ppc) or PDAnet. InternetSharing is free. But it all gos to the same place right?

right you are. I didn't even think about it that way. My apologies.

Acedooncoon 03-14-2008 11:20 PM

Quote:

InternetSharing

I tether with just unlimited data plan and have not had issues. I wouldn't recommend downloading torrents (GiGs of data) as I feel it would eventually ruin it for all with the "Free" tethering. I know you didn't ask but here are a few more I use with every Rom.

Undock Keyboard

A-GPS reg edit

faster web browseing..
HKLM\Comm\Tcpip\Parms and changed the TimerWheelSize to Value of 5 from 11

Rev-a
Dial ##778#, choose edit, enter your MSL, go to Data Parameters, Choose Rev. A, Choose Enable/Disable jury is still out on this one but there is a Rev-A thread already so look HERE for your own conclusion.

Is there a way that I can speed up the navagation through the phone meaning..decreasing the amount of time it takes to respond to pressing a button?..example pressing the Start Menu..I have a short delay when I press start..is there anyway that I can make it more faster?..I have the Resco Reg....Thanx Alot..

ikliomve 03-14-2008 11:57 PM

Quote:

InternetSharing

In my phone the Extension is = to rilphone2.dll

Is this still safe to delete? There is not rilphone.dll

blackmagic352 03-15-2008 02:51 AM

[QUOTE]
Quote:

InternetSharing

i do not see "MaxCMCon" i have new rom

andy22 03-15-2008 05:03 AM

I have tried the hack for tethering and i cannot get it to get past local network on my pc. what am i doing wrong?

anyonenow 03-15-2008 03:48 PM

this is new to me... I never tried internet sharing til today.

anyway figured i'd give it a try.

With the new rom 3.35 All I had to do was(using win XP MCE with SP2).
shut off wifi(on phone and notebook),Plug in USB cable.

on phone:
Programs>InternetSharing>(verify pulldown is USB/Phone as Modem)
>connect

Phone Dials 777, Status then shows connected .... and was able to use notebook no problems.

Actually pretty decent connection...

http://www.speedtest.net/result/246823175.png

Acedooncoon 03-15-2008 04:29 PM

I have to say I tried the Internetsharing hack and it worked for me...After I did the hack I did a soft reset and the tested out the Internetsharing...on the first try it didnt work..but I tried it again after that and it worked..So Im happy now. :mrgreen:

Whats crazy was that I tried to do it on Fri and it wasn't working for me..I did it once or twice when I had a custom ROM..but when I switched to the Sprint Rom it didnt allow me to connect (guess the custom rom had the hack in it already)..I kept getting that friggin "Error 67" message..So I called sprint and they told me that you need a plan for it..and that it cost $39.99 a month...I was like "WHAT!!!!"...I never heard that before..long story short I just told them 4get it..Cuz I knew you guys on here would have a way to teather without the extra....Thanx alot...I tip my hat off to all who have made it possiable..You Guys Rock..:headbang:

nxtech3 03-15-2008 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acedooncoon (Post 218713)
Is there a way that I can speed up the navagation through the phone meaning..decreasing the amount of time it takes to respond to pressing a button?..example pressing the Start Menu..I have a short delay when I press start..is there anyway that I can make it more faster?..I have the Resco Reg....Thanx Alot..

i believe that would be a Memory issue and as we all know the mogul lacks that so IMO i dont believe so. Maybe delete some of the other applications you might not need or try moving them to a storage card.

Lsme420 03-16-2008 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acedooncoon (Post 218713)

What you can try is Quick menu attached HERE and the Discussion is HERE some place i copied the links from "Commonly requested & popular software/applications".
My advice would be to go into the Qmenu setting and click the replace system start menu. See if that makes any difference.

shifty1 03-16-2008 09:44 PM

Tethering change works great. Got 1300 download and 456 upload speeds testing at speakeasy.net on my vista laptop. BTW, the Rev A setting was set so it showed as "disable".

shifty1 03-16-2008 09:58 PM

Maybe I spoke too soon. I was disconnected by "remote party". Does this mean Sprint saw something they didn't like and killed my session?

Gilliland 03-16-2008 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mach30SiR (Post 214497)
Those of you running Sprint ROMs should navigate to the following registry key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Comm\InternetSharing" and delete the string value named "Extension". This will allow you to connect to the Internet via the Internet Sharing app without the dreaded error 67/authentication errors.

I tried this in the hope that it might also fix the Error 67 that I get when trying to connect over DUN. Unfortunately, that one persists even with the Extension removed.

babair 03-19-2008 08:39 AM

ok i just read over this board and i realized that i have the internet charing program on my phone and am actually using it rigt now.. my question is is sprint going to pick up on this and charge me for the phone as modem plan.??? i havent applied any of the reg tweaks or hacks just figured id try it out and am using usb and phone as modem in the internet sharing program. i just ran a speed test at 8:38am eastern and got these speeds.... so my question is will i be charged for a phone as modem or do i have nothing to worry about?

Your current bandwidth reading is:

264.26 Mbps

which means you can download at 33.03 MB/sec. from our servers.

tech 03-19-2008 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by babair (Post 222960)
ok i just read over this board and i realized that i have the internet charing program on my phone and am actually using it rigt now.. my question is is sprint going to pick up on this and charge me for the phone as modem plan.??? i havent applied any of the reg tweaks or hacks just figured id try it out and am using usb and phone as modem in the internet sharing program. i just ran a speed test at 8:38am eastern and got these speeds.... so my question is will i be charged for a phone as modem or do i have nothing to worry about?

Your current bandwidth reading is:

264.26 Mbps

which means you can download at 33.03 MB/sec. from our servers.

i would love to see those speed on rev a but cant yet ur speed site is broken try speedtest.net one day we will see those speeds from sprint:headbang::headbang:

babair 03-19-2008 09:04 AM

lol yea i know but do you think sprint will na me if im using my phone as a modem that way with no hacks or reg tweaks?

tech 03-19-2008 09:07 AM

ive been using it for the past month on phone as a modem ans till no chrage actulay sprint olds me 35 dollrs lol