PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2008, 08:21 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Mogul
Carrier: Sprint

jbbosu is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to jbbosu Send a message via MSN to jbbosu
Now that we have our built-in GPS...

What could we use our external BT GPS receivers for?

I have the Holux m1200 and I was wondering if there was anything useful that could be done with it instead of selling...

-Could if be used as a tracking device, say for a car of something?

-Would it even be useful without the use of a bluetooth receiving device, such as a phone?

Anyway, just throwin' it out there.

Thanks,

Mogul User
Old 03-02-2008, 10:17 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: PPC-6800

HobbesIsReal is keeping up the good workHobbesIsReal is keeping up the good work
Re: Now that we have our built-in GPS...

I would keep it because:
  • You never know if your next phone will have built in GPS or not.
  • You can use it as a GPS device for your laptop or another phone.
  • If you are in a car /truck where it is hard to get a lock, you can still use your BT GPS unit. Since my BT GPS also has an external antenna it is also handy in very woody areas in areas with narrow streets with large buildings or cliffs.
  • The resell value isn't probably all that much.

Blog | Reviews | Forums
Old 03-03-2008, 05:17 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Mogul
Threadstarter

jbbosu is a n00b
Send a message via AIM to jbbosu Send a message via MSN to jbbosu

Yah I've thought about the resell value as well as using it for a laptop or something, but I know I would never use it with that.

I'm just wondering if there's anyway to turn a GPS Receiver into a tracking device of some sort...or if anyone else has done anything cool.

Thanks guys
Old 03-03-2008, 05:42 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: HTC Harrier, HTC Apache, HTC Titan, HTC Vogue....

colonel knows their stuffcolonel knows their stuffcolonel knows their stuffcolonel knows their stuffcolonel knows their stuffcolonel knows their stuff

BT GPS units will still probably get a better signal and better battery life.

If you have been helped by me or would like to support developers like Olipro, helmi_c, and others please feel free to Donate

ALWAYS FLASH BACK TO YOUR CARRIER'S OFFICIAL ROM BEFORE TAKING YOUR PHONE IN FOR SERVICE OF ANY KIND

Old 03-03-2008, 08:19 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: lg optimus

dishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on rep

yeah but when used in a car, you have to keep an eye on your phone AND bluetooth puck's battery levels.

On long trips, I used to switch between which device was getting juice from the car's power (have one usb charger).

My battery life has been so much better ever since internal GPS is enabled, since now I dedicate all my car charger time to the mogul!

If battery life is your reason to use a BT GPS puck, I'd say get a spare battery for the mogul and just use one device.

Better signal I hear, but to be honest I don't get that much faster of a fix with my holux.

To answer the OP, no, a bluetooth puck by itself can't be used as a tracking device since its not actually processing the information. Its simply pulling the info from the satellites, doing some quick math, and sending raw data to your phne/PDA/laptop/whatever to interpret your location on a map. There is no memory or sophisticated CPU on these things to run your own application or store the data.

If, however, you have an old PDA with bluetooth (ipaq 1940 anyone?), you can strap it to the back, run GPS trailing software, and drop the whole thing in someone's bag as a tracking device. But once again, wihtout something to connect to, its pretty useless.
Old 03-03-2008, 10:33 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Galaxy S4
Carrier: AT&T

veblen64 is a n00b

Some BT GPS receivers have data-logging capabilities. That is, they will record data within themselves and you can later transfer the data to a computer or other processing device to track where the GPS receiver has been. So yes, in a non-real-time sense, some models can be used as standalone tracking devices. The m1200 does not have this onboard data logging capability, however.

Personally, I'm keeping my BT GPS receiver, for reasons others have stated here. If you're sure you don't need the m1200 anymore, you might enjoy giving it to a friend who has a BT-capable phone but has never been turned on to the wonders of GPS. They'll be blown away. ... Only caveat there is you might get yourself on the hook as a pro bono support tech.

Last edited by veblen64; 03-03-2008 at 11:31 PM.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan