PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2008, 02:38 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Titan

anystupidname is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Smile alternate OS on mogul?

OK, well, I have successfully gotten 2.4 olipro' s bootloader on and have flashed several roms to it (sprint oem, dcds, no2chem..). Great work to all of the people who wrote/reverse engineered all of this stuff!

Are there any particularly good ones anybody could suggest? I'm not quite ready to build my own yet although I've checked out some kitchens. I'm particularly interested in a none windows mobile operating system or at least an alternate shell for windows mobile. Somewhat like the touchflo cube maybe but a total shell replacement. I'm still really new, just got my mogul a week ago and I've never had a mobile device before so if anybody can point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated!
Old 02-26-2008, 03:14 PM
Give him the KICK!!!
Pocket PC: HTC EVO w/TP as a Back Up
Carrier: sprint

dschoenike should be added to the payroll for their contributionsdschoenike should be added to the payroll for their contributionsdschoenike should be added to the payroll for their contributionsdschoenike should be added to the payroll for their contributionsdschoenike should be added to the payroll for their contributionsdschoenike should be added to the payroll for their contributionsdschoenike should be added to the payroll for their contributionsdschoenike should be added to the payroll for their contributionsdschoenike should be added to the payroll for their contributionsdschoenike should be added to the payroll for their contributionsdschoenike should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Re: alternate OS on mogul?

i've Been using simpleos project recently, and i think its a pretty cool alternative. I dont know how to post links, but if you google search simpleos project, it'll be the first site on the list. Definately worth a try. free demo version.
Old 02-26-2008, 03:15 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

neodorian is becoming a PPCGeeks regularneodorian is becoming a PPCGeeks regularneodorian is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

I just can't wait until this get worked out and is ported to PPCs and not just bigger devices like the HTC Shift.

http://www.ubuntu.com/products/mobile

edit: I looked up SimpleOS but it looks just like another shell for WinMo, not an alternate OS.
Old 02-26-2008, 03:20 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTV EEVVVOOOOO, and a BB tour
Carrier: sprint..and umm...PPCGEEKZ!!

Success100 is halfway to VIP status based on repSuccess100 is halfway to VIP status based on repSuccess100 is halfway to VIP status based on repSuccess100 is halfway to VIP status based on repSuccess100 is halfway to VIP status based on repSuccess100 is halfway to VIP status based on repSuccess100 is halfway to VIP status based on repSuccess100 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to Success100 Send a message via Yahoo to Success100

you could always try one of the iphone themes, or pointui. Pointui is probably the easist most useful graphical UI. Plus its free. www.pointui.com

ALL HAIL SUCCESS100!!! lol!
Old 02-26-2008, 03:38 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

neodorian is becoming a PPCGeeks regularneodorian is becoming a PPCGeeks regularneodorian is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

He said a non-Windows Mobile OS. All these things are just skins and GUI addons. I don't think there really are any complete and ready OSes for the Titan besides Windows Mobile at the moment. Android and Ubuntu maybe ready someday but by the time they are ready there might not be as much point in porting it back to a device like the Titan that will probably be a little dated at that time. Still, if it's the kind of thing that comes out in a year or so it might get some great use out of older devices the way linux in general has let me get lots of use out of old computers and laptops.
Old 02-26-2008, 03:40 PM
VIP & Proud Member of CBM
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2-Sprint, HTC Evo Fully Rooted-Sprint
Carrier: Sprint Nextel

nxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by neodorian View Post
He said a non-Windows Mobile OS. All these things are just skins and GUI addons. I don't think there really are any complete and ready OSes for the Titan besides Windows Mobile at the moment. Android and Ubuntu maybe ready someday but by the time they are ready there might not be as much point in porting it back to a device like the Titan that will probably be a little dated at that time. Still, if it's the kind of thing that comes out in a year or so it might get some great use out of older devices the way linux in general has let me get lots of use out of old computers and laptops.

he also mentioned some options for an alternative shell, and as far as that goes PointUI is pretty decent for a shell
Old 02-26-2008, 03:45 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Titan
Threadstarter

anystupidname is a n00b

Thanks to everybody who replied. Yes, I'm aware of PointUI. (actually the first one I tried) Also aware of the iphone skins/shells. I liked the touchflo cube too. I'm talking about something more like Google's Android project or Ubuntu Mobile. The only problem is neither of those two are far enough along. I'll give SimpleOS a shot but the words "demo, trial, try" etc usually make me run the opposite direction. Something with compatibility for pre-existing executables would be nice too since there are already a ton of apps out there.
VIP Member

Success100 is halfway to VIP status based on repSuccess100 is halfway to VIP status based on repSuccess100 is halfway to VIP status based on repSuccess100 is halfway to VIP status based on repSuccess100 is halfway to VIP status based on repSuccess100 is halfway to VIP status based on repSuccess100 is halfway to VIP status based on repSuccess100 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

neo i was referring to it being a shell, its the closest thing hes gonna get to an altenate "os" even tho its not an os.
Post Master General
Pocket PC: White Evo: Myn's TPT RLS5, Stock Kernel
Carrier: The "NOW" Network

InvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributions

Quote:
Originally Posted by dschoenike View Post
i've Been using simpleos project recently, and i think its a pretty cool alternative. I dont know how to post links, but if you google search simpleos project, it'll be the first site on the list. Definately worth a try. free demo version.
whatever happened to this, have they improved the functionality? what are the pros/cons? i never hear people mention this as viable, but it look amazing

Best... Member... Ever...
Old 02-26-2008, 03:46 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nautica2450 View Post
whatever happened to this, have they improved the functionality? what are the pros/cons? i never hear people mention this as viable, but it look amazing
ive never even heard of this b4...

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan