PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2008, 01:28 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Vogue
Carrier: Sprint

dr-gonzo is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Want to use my Mogul GPS for Disney trip...

We're on our way to Disney soon and I was hoping to impress the wife with the phones ability to locate restaurants and whatnot on the resort. Does anyone have a suggestion for a good (preferably free) program that will work to do this? I found some POI files that I can use to upload into whatever. Google Maps might work, but I don't know if it has restaurants inside the resort listed and I don't think I can upload POIs. We're not driving anywhere so it's mostly just to find food/rides when there. I could also just use the maps they have, but where's the fun in that.

Thanks,
Gonz
Old 02-21-2008, 01:32 PM
The Enforcer
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic 4G, ViewSonic gTablet, BB Bold 9650

Pibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIP
Re: Want to use my Mogul GPS for Disney trip...

Disney's restaurants, POI's, etc. are so well signaled that you won't need a GPS for that.

Also, if you are at a resort/theme park by the time the GPS has acquired a lock and the mapping directions come up, you'll be there

Trust me, Mickey Mouse lives in my backyard

However, for POIs I use MS' Live Search.

---
Don't forget to Search first!
Old 02-21-2008, 01:34 PM
The Pusher Man
Pocket PC: BB
Carrier: Sprint - Simply Everything

Lsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on repLsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on repLsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on repLsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on repLsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on repLsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on repLsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on repLsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on repLsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on repLsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on repLsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Hey Doc was wondering if you screen name is a Hunter S Thompson reference?
Old 02-21-2008, 01:39 PM
TC1
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Titan

TC1 is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pibe38 View Post
Disney's restaurants, POI's, etc. are so well signaled that you won't need a GPS for that.

Also, if you are at a resort/theme park by the time the GPS has acquired a lock and the mapping directions come up, you'll be there
Agree 100%. Though i don't live there, have been several times.

It's Disney World. Leave the phone and gizmos in the hotel room and enjoy yourself with the family
Old 02-21-2008, 04:36 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

dr-gonzo is a n00b

Heheh... I've been a couple times and you're right. It's not terribly difficult to find stuff. It's all about the geek factor. I'll check out Live Search and see how it fairs.

And yup, it's a Thompson reference. I read Fear/Loathing in Jr. High so many years ago and have been drgonzo ever since.

Thanks all
Gonz

Last edited by dr-gonzo; 02-21-2008 at 05:41 PM.
Old 02-21-2008, 05:42 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch Pro 2 by HTC

eXplicit is just getting started
Send a message via AIM to eXplicit

You can use Google Maps, it's free... But you'll have to know the name of the restaurant. And the area you're in.
Old 02-21-2008, 06:54 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

dr-gonzo is a n00b

That should work then. I just didn't know if the detail was listed for the restaurants inside the parks. We have the meal plan and the reservations are pre-booked so if I know we have to be at 'restaurant X' at 5pm, I can check on Google Maps and see that it's in a different park and we should really get moving to get there in time.

Thanks again,
Gonz
Old 02-22-2008, 12:25 AM
The Enforcer
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic 4G, ViewSonic gTablet, BB Bold 9650

Pibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr-gonzo View Post
That should work then. I just didn't know if the detail was listed for the restaurants inside the parks. We have the meal plan and the reservations are pre-booked so if I know we have to be at 'restaurant X' at 5pm, I can check on Google Maps and see that it's in a different park and we should really get moving to get there in time.

Thanks again,
Gonz
Now that I think about it I believe Disney restaurants may have the general address of their location on listings... meaning, if you want to go to Pinocchio's Village at the Magic Kingdom, the listing will have Magic Kingdom's address.

There are no numbers or street names inside the guest areas of the parks. This will end up in looking them up in Google Maps or MS Live Search useless... try it, but I think this is the case.

I worked at Disney once and this is what I recall, this was years ago though.
Old 02-22-2008, 12:43 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: TouchPro 2

SmOoThEm is just getting started

Sprint Navigation works awsome, it will find anything from the lowest gas station to what kind of food you like all from your current location. They charge a simple monthly fee or if you only need it for a single day you can select that when you open it. I use it all the time and it has a 2d map showing your direction of location. Google maps works great to show the satilite view of your current location and i have found the gps in the mogul is awsome and extremely accurate.

Hope this helps you,
SmOoThEm
Old 02-22-2008, 12:07 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Arrive

Elbimster is a n00b
Send a message via ICQ to Elbimster Send a message via AIM to Elbimster Send a message via MSN to Elbimster Send a message via Yahoo to Elbimster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pibe38 View Post
Now that I think about it I believe Disney restaurants may have the general address of their location on listings... meaning, if you want to go to Pinocchio's Village at the Magic Kingdom, the listing will have Magic Kingdom's address.

There are no numbers or street names inside the guest areas of the parks. This will end up in looking them up in Google Maps or MS Live Search useless... try it, but I think this is the case.

I worked at Disney once and this is what I recall, this was years ago though.
I live in Orlando (Universal is my backyard, not Mickey), and have put in my time working for the rat, and I believe Pibe38 is correct that they just have the general park addresses. Unless someone's written a PocketPC app that specifically works with GPS and shows you the way around the Disney parks specifically, I don't think the phone will be of much help to you in getting around the parks. Sorry.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan