PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2008, 11:35 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Mogul
Carrier: Sprint

ksuderman is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Data connections run amok

I just checked my usage and two weeks into the billing cycle I've used over 6700 data minutes! Which is totally whacked since *I* have only used 5-10 minutes max. Thank the Lord for SERO and the unlimited data plan...

I am using the HTC Today plugin and the WeatherPanel, but those are set to NOT update automatically. I check the Comm Manager frequently and I never find the phone connected, nor do I see the connection icon on the top of the Today screen. Given that the phone is apparently connected 33% of the time (5 days non-stop out of the last 15) you would think that I would notice when the phone is connected. The phone is also set to play an audio alert when it establishes a data connection so I can't figure out what is going on. Is there some sort of "stealth" application that is able to establish an outgoing connection without the usual notifications?

Also, is there an application/utility I can install that will disconnect the data connection if it is idle for X minutes or when the phone goes into standby mode? I would like to be able to set the WeatherPanel to update automatically every few hours, but WP seems to establish the connection and then never disconnects. I blamed WP for the 4400 minutes I apparently used last month, but I don't think it can be the cause this month.

I am using the stock 2.17 rom with radio version 1.47. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Keith
Old 02-20-2008, 01:08 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Hero

supadoggie is just getting started
Re: Data connections run amok

Why don't you try installing SPB GPRS Monitor for a month or so. It will track your data usage, however I dont think it can disconnect automatically

http://www.spbsoftwarehouse.com/prod...prsmonitor/?en
Old 02-21-2008, 04:18 AM
Lurker
Threadstarter

ksuderman is a n00b

Thx Supadoggie, I've installed the SPB GPRS Monitor and I'll watch my usage for the next couple of days, but it doesn't seem to tell me what application(s) are using the bandwidth, only how much bandwidth is being used.

I also find it odd that I am the only person to want a data connection to "time out". Does everyone that uses a weather application really leave their phone connected 24/7?
Old 02-21-2008, 10:37 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: PPC-6800 (Sprint Mogul)

bakntyme is keeping up the good workbakntyme is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksuderman View Post
I also find it odd that I am the only person to want a data connection to "time out". Does everyone that uses a weather application really leave their phone connected 24/7?
If you have unlimited data on your plan, why are you concerned how much your phone is connected?

Where are you seeing "data minutes" used? If you are looking online at your account, what you see is 6700kb of data communicated to/from your device, or 6.7mb. I am not a heavy user and I use about 100-200mb per month; you are on track to use less than 15mb this month.

Last edited by bakntyme; 02-21-2008 at 10:46 AM.
Old 02-21-2008, 11:18 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G

johnnychimpo is just getting started

This thread might help. It makes your data connection disconnect if not in use. I think an idle data connection drains your battery so if anything with a unlimited data plan you can save some battery.
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread...dle+connection
Old 02-22-2008, 11:46 AM
Lurker
Threadstarter

ksuderman is a n00b

@bakntyme:

I'm not really "concerned" except for battery usage, and the fact that *I* want to be the one to decide what my phone does, not some braindead programmer at M$.

And yes, I was looking at my usage details on the Sprint website and just assumed it was showing minutes used since that is what is shown for the other usage details. 6700kb makes alot more sense that 6700 minutes!

@johnnychimpo:

Thanks for the link! I guess it's a matter of using the right search terms as my searches proved fruitless.

@all:

Thanks for the solutions. I've "Spread the Rep" as they say.

Cheers,
Keith

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan