PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2008, 03:33 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Omnia 910
Carrier: Verizon

jazaddict is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
So How much program RAM [i]SHOULD[/i] be available?

I've got 15.79MB free. Is that good? If not, where should I look to trim? RUnnin HTC Home Cusomizer (which has weather). Gonna run PIM's Task Manager to get a better idea of whats runnin.
Old 02-13-2008, 01:28 PM
Noob
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint SERO

Baffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation level
Send a message via AIM to Baffles
It's fine. Stop obsessing over memory usage. Unless you flat out run out and stuff stops working, it's fine. Windows Mobile caches stuff in memory to speed up access.

I'd like to see 0MB free on my phone, which means the phone is caching as much as possible. The cache is dropped when programs need memory, so it's of little importance.
Old 02-13-2008, 01:58 PM
HTC Soldier
Pocket PC: EVO 3-1/2G
Carrier: Sprinter Cell

xweaponx is a VIPxweaponx is a VIPxweaponx is a VIPxweaponx is a VIPxweaponx is a VIPxweaponx is a VIPxweaponx is a VIPxweaponx is a VIPxweaponx is a VIPxweaponx is a VIPxweaponx is a VIP
I agree with Baffles.

Additionally, you didnt specify any detailes on what rom you are using but the WM6.1/ rom 3.16 combination found in Dcd's & no2chem's roms comes equipped with a terrific memory management model. After utilizing 6.1 I am thoroughly satisfied and do not suffer any memory issues to pass...

Old 02-13-2008, 02:11 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Nexus One
Carrier: T-Mobile

Fresh2Death is a n00b
Send a message via MSN to Fresh2Death Send a message via Yahoo to Fresh2Death
just being curious, about how much free ram runs on one of those 6.1 roms. I seen a guy with a video that only had about 5mb free lol but I was hoping that maybe u guys can tell me a better number cuz there was no tellin what all he had runnin in the background.
previous owned phones - Apache 6700, HTC Diamond, HTC Touch Pro, HTC Touch Pro 2, Palm Pre, Nexus One - current phone in use : Nexus One
Old 02-13-2008, 02:21 PM
HTC Soldier
Pocket PC: EVO 3-1/2G
Carrier: Sprinter Cell

xweaponx is a VIPxweaponx is a VIPxweaponx is a VIPxweaponx is a VIPxweaponx is a VIPxweaponx is a VIPxweaponx is a VIPxweaponx is a VIPxweaponx is a VIPxweaponx is a VIPxweaponx is a VIP
I am running a large variety of the commonly used genre of apps available (except a iphone theme) and with 6.1 I nominally begin with 18mb on bootup and will run as low as 13mb after a couple days.

However the difference is zero lagging and phenomenal speed throughout plus 6.1 will automatically re-cache memory where it is needed without the previously needed memory tasking using memmaid, SKTools, etc that most of us had become adept at providing...
Old 02-13-2008, 02:33 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Nexus One
Carrier: T-Mobile

Fresh2Death is a n00b
Send a message via MSN to Fresh2Death Send a message via Yahoo to Fresh2Death
MY GOODNESS!!! im glad to hear there is a team working on this for the apache. that sounds almost too good. pocket pc.... zero lagging!?! were those two words just used in the same sentence!!??!! omg lol

Last edited by Fresh2Death; 02-13-2008 at 02:37 PM.
Old 02-13-2008, 03:23 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint Evo 4G
Carrier: Sprint

pacmantom is becoming a great contributor
I start out at 17. It seems like the more I text the quicker it goes down. I can just text and a couple of hours it will be down to 10. That would be a lot of texts. I'm running NexVisions rom right now.
Old 02-13-2008, 04:28 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Evo
Carrier: Sprint

bedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baffles View Post
It's fine. Stop obsessing over memory usage. Unless you flat out run out and stuff stops working, it's fine. Windows Mobile caches stuff in memory to speed up access.

I'd like to see 0MB free on my phone, which means the phone is caching as much as possible. The cache is dropped when programs need memory, so it's of little importance.
Except that there are a number of apps that won't start if memory is too low (Camera, Picsel, Opera, etc.). Even managing memory with a good task manager and with programs like Oxios often isn't enough. Try listening to a song in Audio Manager while loading up a decent sized web page. Pretty soon audio stops because Windows has closed it in order to devote the limited amount of RAM to the browser.

I agree there is no point obsessing over it, but it is definetly annoying.
Old 02-13-2008, 05:06 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: EVO
Carrier: Sprint - SERO

Alpine- is keeping up the good workAlpine- is keeping up the good work
Quote:
Originally Posted by xweaponx View Post
I am running a large variety of the commonly used genre of apps available (except a iphone theme) and with 6.1 I nominally begin with 18mb on bootup and will run as low as 13mb after a couple days.

However the difference is zero lagging and phenomenal speed throughout plus 6.1 will automatically re-cache memory where it is needed without the previously needed memory tasking using memmaid, SKTools, etc that most of us had become adept at providing...
Thats news to me. Ive gotten used to reclaiming ram with MemMaid 2.0 periodically.
Old 02-14-2008, 12:11 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Omnia 910
Carrier: Verizon
Threadstarter

jazaddict is just getting started
I was obsessing? I didn't think I was obsessing. I'm mean, obsessing might start with "OMG, only 15MB oF RAM, AUGHHHH!!!!!" or "Dear God in heaven, how can survive w. my phone only having 15mb". Rather than obsessing I was, er, asking. Yah, thats it; asking. No obsessing here.....matter of fact I'm obsessively anti-obsessive. Yup, thats me....no obsessions.
And thx for the memory info.
Yikes...did that thank you sound obsessive? I don't think so...see, an obsessive thank you would......[walking away obsessively muttering to myself]

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan