PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2008, 03:20 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: XV6850
Carrier: Verizon

Zenoran is becoming a PPCGeeks regularZenoran is becoming a PPCGeeks regularZenoran is becoming a PPCGeeks regularZenoran is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
rant inc.. head for the hills! Titan?????

Okay so I've had this phone for all of 4 days now and I'm not sure if I'm happy or not????

This is my first PPC phone thing so maybe I'm way off-base here but it seems REALLY slow. I LOVE the functionality of the phone and am not sure what I would do without it now but is all that for lack of performance? This thing really crawls even doing the basic functions of a normal phone... After loading a few apps it's a pain in my patience to even respond to an incoming text... it crawls!

Would touch be better? I know verizon doesn't really offer it right now but they're supposed to in the near future.. I'm wondering if it would perform better?

I realize touch lacks the wifi and keyboard.. I can live without the keyboard but the wifi loss kinda sucks... although, if it performs better it would make it all worth it....

I've seen lots of threads in this forum with people saying they're doing the swap to touch (from mogul)... are u guys happier? Do u think I would?

Thanks for reading my senseless blabber
Old 02-09-2008, 03:36 AM
*SCREEEEEECH*
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2
Carrier: Sprint

EtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuff
Update it to WM 6.1 and you'll have GPS and a lot less headaches... it runs much faster using no2chem's latest ROM.
Old 02-09-2008, 03:36 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

bigray327 is keeping up the good workbigray327 is keeping up the good work
The Touch flies with its 128MB of RAM.

That said, consider loading one of the custom ROMs that gives you Windows Mobile 6.1. Its memory management is much better, IMHO.
Old 02-09-2008, 03:38 AM
*SCREEEEEECH*
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2

EtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuff
As an owner of both devices, they're about on par with each other via WM 6.1 though the lack of RAM on the Mogul still hits occasionally.
Old 02-09-2008, 03:39 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: XV6800

SephirothWGP is a n00b
I assume you aren't really closing your programs. By default from the factory the X button just hides them in the background. You need to close them manually and then find a program that will make it so you programs actually close. Now I am just assuming this is what your problem is, but my XV6800 is loaded with all kinds of programs and such and everything is still lightning fast. I use QuickMenu for this function, search it. It is free and worth your while to download.
Old 02-09-2008, 01:47 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: XV6850
Threadstarter

Zenoran is becoming a PPCGeeks regularZenoran is becoming a PPCGeeks regularZenoran is becoming a PPCGeeks regularZenoran is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Ya one of the first things I did when I got it was update the ROM to wm6.1 and the radio.. I didn't even really play around with it much prior to that to have anything to compare it to. I believe I'm using dcd's latest rom but maybe no2chem's is better? I might give it a shot flashing again...

I think I have just about every utility out there installed... I do have the x buttom remapped to end process via quickmenu and am constantly keeping an eye on the available memory via upper-right icon... what blows my mind is I can have 23mb free after a reboot but can NEVER get back up to that even using tools to clear/compile the memory.... like right now I did a memory clean with sk-tools and I only have 13mb available.. it's like the memory keeps decreasing the longer u use it...

seph when u say it is LIGHTNING fast.... I have NEVER seen mine run lightning fast... what really kills me is when I'm in an app and a text comes in... it usually really slow to print the notification on the screen and if I hit reply it is verrryyy slow to bring up the sms app....

I dunno.. I was thinking touch has more RAM so it would have more to play with but maybe I got a bad ROM on my device right now.. This is what's loaded:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=365308

I guess I'll give another ROM a shot
Old 02-09-2008, 02:00 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC TOUCH PRO
Carrier: SPRINT

wILLk0r3 818 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularwILLk0r3 818 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularwILLk0r3 818 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularwILLk0r3 818 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to wILLk0r3 818 Send a message via Yahoo to wILLk0r3 818
Here is another prime example of the RAM leak I speak of. I have noticed a few others in this forum state similar issues regarding RAM. Yes, I understand that after items cache, more memory is utilized. It just seems like the 3.16 ROM has a problem with eating memory. After a couple hours of normal usage, I'm down to as low as 10mb RAM and after running SKtools, it recovers no more than 2-3mb. Hmmmm, what's up with that?
Old 02-09-2008, 05:05 PM
Noob
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint SERO

Baffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation level
Send a message via AIM to Baffles
It's cache to speed up the device. It's not a leak, dude. If you start apps that need the ram, the cache is dropped to make room for the device. 10 MB ram free is 10 MB of ram wasted that could be used for caching. Most people don't or refuse to accept this, the same group of people who thinks Vista hogs all that ram, when most of it is cache.
Old 02-09-2008, 05:16 PM
Almost a VIP

wILLk0r3 818 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularwILLk0r3 818 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularwILLk0r3 818 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularwILLk0r3 818 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
It never dropped that low on 2.17....I have all the same stuff installed, maybe even less. On the stock ROM, I was able to reclaim all but 1.5mb RAM that I had at startup. So what you're saying is the new ROM caches more?
Old 02-09-2008, 05:21 PM
Almost a VIP

And yes, I do understand the new ROM takes a couple MBs more memory.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan