PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2008, 05:46 PM
Halfway to VIP Status

dkincaid is keeping up the good workdkincaid is keeping up the good workdkincaid is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Sprint ROM development

I was in the office today (I own a large tech company) talking with my staff of geeks about the mogul and all of the custom ROM's that are developed by people on here.

I find it really pathetic that people working on their own time with limited resources can put together custom ROM's that truly make Sprint look like a bunch of jackasses. I feel bad knowing that I have a far superior device with the added features it should have had months ago and the general public has to do without. It really is a shame that Sprint and HTC can't get their act together. Why does it take this group to come up with ROM's that are 10 times faster, more reliable, and more functional than the stock ROM's that are being put out?

I think the work that has been done here since the 3.16 ROM came out should truly be an example of what a true beta program could be for Sprint. I have no doubt that insiders at Sprint are looking at these forums and using the ROM's that are being put out.

I really cannot give enough thanks for the people that work so hard on this stuff. The mogul is just an amazing device and it's because of the hard work of the people here that it truly is that way.

Thanks!
Old 02-07-2008, 06:03 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Sprint CDMA Diamond
Carrier: Sprint

scott500 is a n00b
I couldn't agree more. I find it totally frustrating that this latest ROM upgrade is so painfully slow in comming out. And, I'm tired of feeling like I'm begging Sprint for the problems to be fixed. "Thank you for your update crumbs...may I kindly ask for another if it's not too much trouble?"

The clock is ticking until my contract with Sprint is over so I can get rid of this cheap 6800.

I will never again make the mistake of purchasing one of HTC's products or believing Sprint's lies (not to mention collossally horrible customer service).

Last edited by scott500; 02-07-2008 at 06:09 PM.
Old 02-07-2008, 06:22 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch Pro

neodorian is becoming a PPCGeeks regularneodorian is becoming a PPCGeeks regularneodorian is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott500 View Post
I will never again make the mistake of purchasing one of HTC's products or believing Sprint's lies (not to mention collossally horrible customer service).
No offense, but in the US at least, who are you going to go with instead? Everyone else charges 2-3x as much for data and there aren't too many phones that approach the Titan or Kaiser when it comes to features, however half-assedly implemented.

To paraphrase an older quote: Sprint and HTC are the worst out there, except for all the others.
Old 02-07-2008, 06:26 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

dkincaid is keeping up the good workdkincaid is keeping up the good workdkincaid is keeping up the good work
Quote:
Originally Posted by neodorian View Post
No offense, but in the US at least, who are you going to go with instead? Everyone else charges 2-3x as much for data and there aren't too many phones that approach the Titan or Kaiser when it comes to features, however half-assedly implemented.

To paraphrase an older quote: Sprint and HTC are the worst out there, except for all the others.
I would agree with that. Personally I think the hardware is great and the service is great...well, as long as I never have to call their customer service! ...however... I think the software development on it and the broken promises from Sprint have been a debacle and just another example of why Sprint is in the toilet.
Old 02-07-2008, 06:29 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTV EEVVVOOOOO, and a BB tour
Carrier: sprint..and umm...PPCGEEKZ!!

Success100 is halfway to VIP status based on repSuccess100 is halfway to VIP status based on repSuccess100 is halfway to VIP status based on repSuccess100 is halfway to VIP status based on repSuccess100 is halfway to VIP status based on repSuccess100 is halfway to VIP status based on repSuccess100 is halfway to VIP status based on repSuccess100 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to Success100 Send a message via Yahoo to Success100
Quote:
Originally Posted by neodorian View Post

agreed.

Neo i too feel horrible for people who have moguls, and dont know how to customize them or hack them to make them into the device that it should be. Thats the reason why i patrol this forum and help out wherever I can. I think that HTC and Sprints dumb arses need to find some real employees from these forums, cuz i guaran damn tee you guys we would be FAR more productive then the the both of the.

To the one who said he was switching his cheap mogul, the mogul is still the most powerful, and most capable CDMA phone out there other than the touch, no questions about it, despite its bugs. So good luck with your search my friend
Old 02-07-2008, 06:39 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: TOUCH PRO
Carrier: SPRINT

g0ldenchild562 is a n00b
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkincaid View Post
I was in the office today (I own a large tech company) talking with my staff of geeks about the mogul and all of the custom ROM's that are developed by people on here.

I find it really pathetic that people working on their own time with limited resources can put together custom ROM's that truly make Sprint look like a bunch of jackasses. I feel bad knowing that I have a far superior device with the added features it should have had months ago and the general public has to do without. It really is a shame that Sprint and HTC can't get their act together. Why does it take this group to come up with ROM's that are 10 times faster, more reliable, and more functional than the stock ROM's that are being put out?

I think the work that has been done here since the 3.16 ROM came out should truly be an example of what a true beta program could be for Sprint. I have no doubt that insiders at Sprint are looking at these forums and using the ROM's that are being put out.

I really cannot give enough thanks for the people that work so hard on this stuff. The mogul is just an amazing device and it's because of the hard work of the people here that it truly is that way.

Thanks!
When it comes down to it, it's all about making money off us, so that we'll keep upgrading to the newest device and hope that it doesnt have all the bugs from before. Im sure that if sprint/htc wanted to, they could've made this phone bug free.
Old 02-07-2008, 06:49 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: The Pro 2.0

Ovendoor knows their stuffOvendoor knows their stuffOvendoor knows their stuffOvendoor knows their stuffOvendoor knows their stuffOvendoor knows their stuff
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkincaid View Post

Thanks!
First, I would like to say that the work that the folks do here is absolutely amazing. I have been the beneficiary of the hard work that others have done in ROM development. I love what this community does and I look forward to what it will do in the future.

But, I have to stick up for Sprint here....

It sounds like the problem that you have is the lack of performance or quality of the Sprint authorized OEM ROMS. (I will agree on the Bluetooth issues from the "official" ROMS) I will also agree that once you go to a custom ROM, it's tough to go back to an OEM ROM, but Sprint has a tough task. The problem is that Sprint tries to anticipate what users will use their phones for. So obviously, they dictate to HTC what Sprint branded software to include. It's a delicate balance of creating stable and efficient software, but still have enough applications to meet consumers needs.

If you want a clean version of a ROM, that's the benefit of this type of community, but most users like to have the OEM apps. Typically, ROM cookers customize based on what THEIR needs are.

BTW- If Sprint/HTC released a clean version, I think people would complain because it lacked content and they would have to buy everything.

What it boils down to is that Sprint and HTC put software on the device that they think satisfies the majority of their customers.

I will also agree that the RevA & GPS shouldn't have been advertised when the Mogul initially came out if it was going to take this long to follow through, but I will also point out that A LOT of people are having various issues with BETA 3.16, so that's not really a valid argument.
Old 02-07-2008, 06:54 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: The Pro 2.0

Ovendoor knows their stuffOvendoor knows their stuffOvendoor knows their stuffOvendoor knows their stuffOvendoor knows their stuffOvendoor knows their stuff
Quote:
Originally Posted by g0ldenchild562 View Post
When it comes down to it, it's all about making money off us, so that we'll keep upgrading to the newest device and hope that it doesnt have all the bugs from before. Im sure that if sprint/htc wanted to, they could've made this phone bug free.
Interesting philosophy.

Sprint intentionally makes buggy software on a $600 device and crosses their fingers that you get fed up and want to purchase another one of their $600 devices.
Old 02-07-2008, 06:56 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovendoor View Post
First, I would like to say that the work that the folks do here is absolutely amazing. I have been the beneficiary of the hard work that others have done in ROM development. I love what this community does and I look forward to what it will do in the future.

But, I have to stick up for Sprint here....

It sounds like the problem that you have is the lack of performance or quality of the Sprint authorized OEM ROMS. (I will agree on the Bluetooth issues from the "official" ROMS) I will also agree that once you go to a custom ROM, it's tough to go back to an OEM ROM, but Sprint has a tough task. The problem is that Sprint tries to anticipate what users will use their phones for. So obviously, they dictate to HTC what Sprint branded software to include. It's a delicate balance of creating stable and efficient software, but still have enough applications to meet consumers needs.

If you want a clean version of a ROM, that's the benefit of this type of community, but most users like to have the OEM apps. Typically, ROM cookers customize based on what THEIR needs are.

BTW- If Sprint/HTC released a clean version, I think people would complain because it lacked content and they would have to buy everything.

What it boils down to is that Sprint and HTC put software on the device that they think satisfies the majority of their customers.

I will also agree that the RevA & GPS shouldn't have been advertised when the Mogul initially came out if it was going to take this long to follow through, but I will also point out that A LOT of people are having various issues with BETA 3.16, so that's not really a valid argument.
I'll agree, the 3.16 was kind of crappy and I also had some of those issues. However, I'm now using nueROM 2.0 with NO problems at all so the problems are clearly able to be solved.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan