PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2008, 01:25 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Alltel

ddickenson is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Alltel Roaming Issue

I am currently doing some training in Dallas for my job and I drove here 2 hours away from home right after I upgraded to GPS rom from an older colonel's rom. The only thing is since I flashed away from the stock rom I haven't been out of town with this (my business) phone. I am getting roaming everywhere I am except my home area and I was wondering if this could have something to do with the new rom since I had to upgrade the radio and re-apply some settings that I didn't have to do with previous rom flashes. It could be on Alltel's side, but I have called and they seemed to tell me there was nothing I could do. I didnt want to go real in depth with them since they don't know I'm running diff. rom. Any ideas?
PS. I have the total freedom or whatever that is supposed to be nationwide no roaming
Old 02-06-2008, 01:30 AM
Banned User
Pocket PC: 6800

iceblue is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via AIM to iceblue Send a message via MSN to iceblue Send a message via Yahoo to iceblue
I am on the 2.16rom and soon as I leave my home area like 50mi away from house my roam light is always on no matter what tower. Unless I reset my home area.
Old 02-06-2008, 09:43 AM
HTC Soldier
Pocket PC: EVO 3-1/2G
Carrier: Sprinter Cell

xweaponx is a VIPxweaponx is a VIPxweaponx is a VIPxweaponx is a VIPxweaponx is a VIPxweaponx is a VIPxweaponx is a VIPxweaponx is a VIPxweaponx is a VIPxweaponx is a VIPxweaponx is a VIP
Alltel apparently has a "preferred home" area for your device. Basically it comprises of the local area around the origin of original purchase. Although you may travel to areas that are on preferred or even Alltel networks, you will recieve the solid roaming triangle (solid = roaming on un-preferred networks).

After updating to a 3.16 rom, I recieved the flashing roaming triangle (roaming on preferred networks). It does not make any sense and I have never been billed for "solid bar roaming"...

Old 02-08-2008, 12:26 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: alltel htc ppc 6800
Carrier: alltel

fly2279 is a n00b
Using the stock rom you could never tell if you were on a preferred network or truly roaming because the triangle never flashed as it does on non-smartphones. After upgrading to the new rom I have also noticed that it will flash when on a preferred network (not alltel but not roaming either). Alltel told me when I was still using the stock rom that there will never be a way to tell if I'm truly roaming or just on a preferred network because it was a windows mobile problem...right so now it flashes. What's everyone else experienced?
Old 02-29-2008, 08:46 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: PPC6800
Carrier: Verizon

BradWeingartner is a n00b
Re: Alltel Roaming Issue

The real question is whether there is a registry setting to shut this off? I'm roaming on preferred networks 95% of my time and the newly flashing triangle really just annoys me because any icon to the left bounces back and forth. Kind of a game to catch that icon though... lol
Old 02-29-2008, 10:12 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: PPC6875 WM6.5

lennysh is becoming a PPCGeeks regularlennysh is becoming a PPCGeeks regularlennysh is becoming a PPCGeeks regularlennysh is becoming a PPCGeeks regularlennysh is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via ICQ to lennysh Send a message via AIM to lennysh Send a message via MSN to lennysh Send a message via Yahoo to lennysh Send a message via Skype™ to lennysh
Cool Re: Alltel Roaming Issue

Yes. I have this same issue. It also causes weird side affects for me with HTC Home. Anybody else?

Verizon's (CDMA) PPC-6875 (Rhodium_W/Touch Pro2) with WM6.5

Chat Rooms:
EliteTeam: Java or IRC Client
HTCGeeks: Java or IRC Client
PPCGeeks: Java or IRC Client

Click here to donate to the CDMA Raphael Project Team
Old 03-11-2008, 12:44 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Threadstarter

ddickenson is a n00b

Something else I have heard after calling alltel and complaining about crappy 1X data service outside my home area (where I need it!) is that apparently Sprint and Verizon pretty much own the big cities as far as data goes. I don't really understand why that means I can't get evdo since they offer it and I'm sure alltel is paying them to use the towers... anyone else have this experience? I live in a town of about 100,000 in between austin and dallas and get great evdo here but not in any big cities in tx

Previous Phones:
Alltel Touch Diamond (running conflippers)
Alltel Titan running my own selections from PPCKitchen
Original iPhone (Jailbroken)
Treo 650
Nokia 6820, Nokia 6800, Motorola MPx200, Motorola T720, Panasonic ebtx2200, SonyEricsson t68i, Panasonic ebtx2200, Ericsson R289LX
Old 03-11-2008, 01:04 PM
N00b

Bobby Budnick is just getting started

Does anyone know the registry edit to disable the roaming icon? The ones I found previously on Google do not seem to work. I cannot understand why there is an ugly black box behind the triangle. I could deal with the triangle , but the black box really makes it stand out.
Old 03-11-2008, 01:06 PM
Regular 'Geeker

lennysh is becoming a PPCGeeks regularlennysh is becoming a PPCGeeks regularlennysh is becoming a PPCGeeks regularlennysh is becoming a PPCGeeks regularlennysh is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via ICQ to lennysh Send a message via AIM to lennysh Send a message via MSN to lennysh Send a message via Yahoo to lennysh Send a message via Skype™ to lennysh

Quote:
Originally Posted by d****enson View Post
Something else I have heard after calling alltel and complaining about crappy 1X data service outside my home area (where I need it!) is that apparently Sprint and Verizon pretty much own the big cities as far as data goes. I don't really understand why that means I can't get evdo since they offer it and I'm sure alltel is paying them to use the towers... anyone else have this experience? I live in a town of about 100,000 in between austin and dallas and get great evdo here but not in any big cities in tx
What PRL are you using? The PRL I have is from the Alltel Data Cards, and it's roams on Verizon and Sprint for use of EVDO only. You might wanna try that if you haven't already.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 03-11-2008, 01:07 PM
Regular 'Geeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Budnick View Post
Does anyone know the registry edit to disable the roaming icon? The ones I found previously on Google do not seem to work. I cannot understand why there is an ugly black box behind the triangle. I could deal with the triangle , but the black box really makes it stand out.
Post what you have tried. I've tried several myself.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan