PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2008, 09:32 PM
N00b

Modus Operandi is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Hello, some help

Hello all,

just received my sprint Mogul 6800 last night on SERO, loving it so far. I hear there are something called 'ROM' updates? I tried searching but didn't find anything to explain what it is, so can someone explain what is the rom and what it does and how to install it??? and also some cool programs that work well on the Mogul.

thank you
Old 01-30-2008, 10:12 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

muzz3256 is a n00b
As far as the ROM goes, if you have to ask what it is, don't try to do it now, wait. Just surf around the software forums, that's what I did, there is a ton of great apps there.
Old 01-30-2008, 11:02 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: The Pro 2.0

Ovendoor knows their stuffOvendoor knows their stuffOvendoor knows their stuffOvendoor knows their stuffOvendoor knows their stuffOvendoor knows their stuff
Quote:
Originally Posted by muzz3256 View Post
As far as the ROM goes, if you have to ask what it is, don't try to do it now, wait. Just surf around the software forums, that's what I did, there is a ton of great apps there.
I couldn't have said it any better. If you are new to the device, you should definitely be aware that flashing ROMS/Radio and sometimes even regular programs have the potential to ruin your device.

If you are looking for a good start with programs, applications, and info...you've come to the right place.

Try here first:

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=5091
and here...
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=16758
Old 01-30-2008, 11:06 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

Modus Operandi is a n00b
er, all of your guys info on the wiki the links are broken to the threads.....

plus i'm looking at software i don't know what anyone is talking about?? wtf is TCPMP???
Old 01-30-2008, 11:27 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Treo 700wx/Mogul/TouchPro/TouchPro2/EVO rooted

itsall_cooool is keeping up the good workitsall_cooool is keeping up the good work
TCPMP is a media player alternative for Windows Media player. If you use the search at the top of the page or 'thread' you can find lots of stuff... take a look at some 'Today Screen' threads, start with simple stuff like appearance customizations, and most important.... READ

Have fun with one of the best PDA phones currently made ... the Mogul
Old 01-30-2008, 11:41 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

Modus Operandi is a n00b
where are like the most basic basic basic tutorial for installing programs? all these tutorials are saying download files and then install them but don't eve know if i'm supposed to synch then extract before hand or after???

I just mostly want basic stuff like watch youtube/AIM/GPS nothin like really fancy

cheers
Old 01-30-2008, 11:58 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch Pro

neodorian is becoming a PPCGeeks regularneodorian is becoming a PPCGeeks regularneodorian is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modus Operandi View Post
where are like the most basic basic basic tutorial for installing programs? all these tutorials are saying download files and then install them but don't eve know if i'm supposed to synch then extract before hand or after???

I just mostly want basic stuff like watch youtube/AIM/GPS nothin like really fancy

cheers

Well unfortunately those 3 things are a little tricky.

As far as installing programs, what you want are .cab files. They are the files that you copy over to your device or storage card and then run from within your phone.

Using youtube involves installing a few things and might not be the best place to start. GPS requires installing a test ROM and is also not a great place to start.

I would recommend starting with something simple like installing a theme or HTC Home Customizer. Messing with that stuff was what I started with and I worked my way up to flashing new ROMS. It's not all that tough, but you want to read as much as you can. It seems a bit intimidating at first since it's not quite the same as using Windows on your desktop computer. Still, it's similar enough that you can usually pick it up.

I just read a lot of forum threads and within a month I had installed the new ROM with GPS capability and changed the entire look and feel of my device from the standard Windows Mobile you see out of the box.
Old 01-31-2008, 01:14 AM
N00b
Threadstarter

Modus Operandi is a n00b
Quote:
Originally Posted by neodorian View Post
Well unfortunately those 3 things are a little tricky.

As far as installing programs, what you want are .cab files. They are the files that you copy over to your device or storage card and then run from within your phone.

Using youtube involves installing a few things and might not be the best place to start. GPS requires installing a test ROM and is also not a great place to start.

I would recommend starting with something simple like installing a theme or HTC Home Customizer. Messing with that stuff was what I started with and I worked my way up to flashing new ROMS. It's not all that tough, but you want to read as much as you can. It seems a bit intimidating at first since it's not quite the same as using Windows on your desktop computer. Still, it's similar enough that you can usually pick it up.

I just read a lot of forum threads and within a month I had installed the new ROM with GPS capability and changed the entire look and feel of my device from the standard Windows Mobile you see out of the box.

heh, well, that's like sort of the thing, I don't really want to change the stock layout i like the default lay out just fine..I think those customizations are kind of ugly IMO.....

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan