PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2008, 02:32 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Rhodium W (Sprint Touch Pro 2 CDMA)
Carrier: Sprint - SERO

mstevens is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmstevens is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmstevens is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Terrible battery life with 3.16

I left for work at 0915 with a fully-charged phone. I always turn the phone "off" using the side power button (not fully off so it soft-boots) whenever I'm not using it. It's now 1331 and my battery is at 40%! Admittedly, I have been fooling around with GPS stuff in between patients, but the phone has probably been "on" a total of an hour today. This will bear watching.
Old 01-28-2008, 02:34 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

papped is a n00b
Maybe the GPS is trying to maintain a connection all the time.
Old 01-28-2008, 02:50 PM
TC1
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Titan

TC1 is a n00b
C'mon folks, this cellphone/radio 101...

If you are using either the cellphone radio or the GPS, and you don't have a clear line-of-sight to their respective targets, then the battery drain will be tremendous.

For example, at my office I can not get a good Sprint cell signal. If i don't put my Mogul into airplane mode when I get into the office, then by the time I leave in the evening the battery will be almost gone. Why? because it keeps increasing power and trying to contact a tower.

Same for GPS. I played with the GPS inside my house this weekend and the battery would quickly drain, like at least half within just 1 hour when it couldn't lock onto any satellites. But today on my morning drive, with GPS and LiveSearch continuously on, it only drained about 10% during a 60 minute drive. Why? Because it had clear line-of-sight to the sats.

There's a price to pay for having internal GPS... don't like it, get an external receiver. All this internal functionality takes battery power. It's always a trade off, can't get something for nothing
Old 01-28-2008, 02:56 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Galaxy S2 Skyrocket!!
Carrier: AT&T

hotbyz168 is becoming a great contributor
One thing I am going to monitor is if it monitors the batteries power the same way. At around 1am last night i had only about 40% battery left where usually at that time i would still have about 60-70% with moderate use. I left the phone off the charger and at 1pm 12 hours later it had only dropped to 30%. i am wondering if this new rom just measures the battery differently?
Old 01-28-2008, 03:04 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G

ebmorgan is becoming a PPCGeeks regularebmorgan is becoming a PPCGeeks regularebmorgan is becoming a PPCGeeks regularebmorgan is becoming a PPCGeeks regularebmorgan is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Quote:
Originally Posted by TC1 View Post

If you are using either the cellphone radio or the GPS, and you don't have a clear line-of-sight to their respective targets, then the battery drain will be tremendous.

For example, at my office I can not get a good Sprint cell signal. If i don't put my Mogul into airplane mode when I get into the office, then by the time I leave in the evening the battery will be almost gone. Why? because it keeps increasing power and trying to contact a tower.

Same for GPS. I played with the GPS inside my house this weekend and the battery would quickly drain, like at least half within just 1 hour when it couldn't lock onto any satellites. But today on my morning drive, with GPS and LiveSearch continuously on, it only drained about 10% during a 60 minute drive. Why? Because it had clear line-of-sight to the sats.

There's a price to pay for having internal GPS... don't like it, get an external receiver. All this internal functionality takes battery power. It's always a trade off, can't get something for nothing
+1 props...

Also, I think if you use GPS and leave the application running in the background it leaves the GPS on and continues to drain. When you finish using GPS, remember to shutdown your GPS app.
Old 01-28-2008, 03:05 PM
Regular 'Geeker

papped is a n00b
Quote:
Sure, if you just want to assume this test ROM has no bugs and blame it on standard reception.

Why test the ROM at all? Just release it as is...
Old 01-28-2008, 03:13 PM
Halfway to VIP Status

ebmorgan is becoming a PPCGeeks regularebmorgan is becoming a PPCGeeks regularebmorgan is becoming a PPCGeeks regularebmorgan is becoming a PPCGeeks regularebmorgan is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Quote:
Originally Posted by papped View Post
Sure, if you just want to assume this test ROM has no bugs and blame it on standard reception.

Why test the ROM at all? Just release it as is...
Not an attack...bear with me...

There's a HUGE difference between a bug and "lack of training". When you adhere to normal cell/gps usage practices then there is no drain. Perhaps it would have been better if they had coded the app to sleep the GPS while the application is in the background....but that is not a bug....that's just an oversight. Software companies would call that feature an "enhancement" or "improvement" in a future release.

Not toward you papped, but just in general: just because someone doesn't like or agree with the way something functions doesn't mean it's broken, or "buggy".

Last edited by ebmorgan; 01-28-2008 at 03:16 PM.
Old 01-28-2008, 03:19 PM
Regular 'Geeker

papped is a n00b
Yeah I understand that. What I don't understand is how anyone can get enough information from the original post to conclusively say the battery drain was just due to the user not knowing what to expect.
Old 01-28-2008, 03:32 PM
Halfway to VIP Status

Well, I assume because the only function mentioned in the OP was GPS. I don't know....I was just replying to TC1 and then your post led me to a slight tangent...
Old 01-28-2008, 03:40 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: Juggs is in the MOMENT

Yay 4 Juggs is a trusted member of the communityYay 4 Juggs is a trusted member of the communityYay 4 Juggs is a trusted member of the communityYay 4 Juggs is a trusted member of the communityYay 4 Juggs is a trusted member of the communityYay 4 Juggs is a trusted member of the communityYay 4 Juggs is a trusted member of the communityYay 4 Juggs is a trusted member of the communityYay 4 Juggs is a trusted member of the communityYay 4 Juggs is a trusted member of the communityYay 4 Juggs is a trusted member of the community
Did the op ever check to see if the beam was off as well as bluetooth?

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan