PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Titan (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Can someone explain the memory leak problem to me (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=16566)

sudermatt 01-22-2008 12:39 PM

Can someone explain the memory leak problem to me

I dont' understand the memory leak problem. When I reboot my 6800 I start out with 20 megs...after running a couple programs, closing them completely (I know because I have Task Manager showing nothing running), maybe a phone call or two, I suddenly have 16 megs. I do see 3 instances of my phone running...which I can't close.

This is a HUGE HUGE HUGE issue!

Why does this happen?
Is it just the titan?
Is anyone else seeing this?
Is there a solution?

schettj 01-22-2008 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sudermatt (Post 165589)
This is a HUGE HUGE HUGE issue!

Well, it would be a problem if it actually existed.

There are two things at work here. The NORMAL behavior of any/every operating system is that, right after bootup, the OS has yet to allocate and load up all the various buffers it uses, nor has it started every service that is needed for normal functioning.

So, you USE it a bit, the rest of the services are started up, buffers are allocated, and then you check your memory free. 16MB. That's lower then mine (ballpark of 19-20mb for me) but, assuming once it reaches that point it *says* there, then that's your normal memory free for whatever stuff you have installed on your today screen, background process, etc.

The other thing at work is a very slow memory leak. I see it in PIE, but I still think its actually in the OS or possibly in the CDMA driver, but over many DAYS of use, I will slowly lose a mb or so of the free memory after I've made sure everything has exited. This continues, dropping a meg every few days, until I notice it and reset :) - the lowest mine got was about 11mb free, and PIE was pretty sluggish.

Windows Mobile 5 did not really suffer from this, or the larger amount of free program memory in WM5 hid the leak better.

Anyway, its not a HUGE HUGE HUGE issue - it's running as designed (the drop to 16mb) - it's the drop from 16 down to 10-11 that will happen in 3-6 days that's a problem. Just soft reset it every night, or morning, or every now and then. Ugly but effective.

Free memory is wasted memory, so long as the machine run fast I don't need to see "30MB free" - the problem with WM is it starts to get sluggish when memory gets low. I'd rather they fix that (someday!)

sudermatt 01-22-2008 01:16 PM

Thank you for the explanation. You are obviously very knowledgeable.

Can you give just another moment of your brain?

Is it a problem to see 3 instances of the Phone at running? is that robbing memory?
I've heard of people disabling services. Do you know what I might try? and how do do it?

Thank in advance,
Matt

SpecialAgentSicari 01-22-2008 01:37 PM

I have had up to five instances of the phone running at one time. If you download CELETASK you can stop them. I dont know what causes them eather.

Success100 01-22-2008 01:52 PM

schettj,

very very well said. I could care less about my "meg count" as long as my phone is functioning correctly. If it does slow down, what will happen? will i die? lol no i just soft reset it....BIG WOW! Ill happily deal with the issues becasue when it comes down to it i have a device in my pocket that can emulate other OS's and log into a PC remotely, and act as a wifi access point, and then on top of that stream my music over my bluetooth headphones and provide a semi high speed connection for my laptop. Not to mention GPS is coming!

One other thing u may want to remember clearing out PIE's cached pages/files, this frees up a few megs of program memory, if you use PIE alot.
This can be done by opening PIE, >menu >tools> options > memory tab> and delete files.

InvincibleLiving 01-22-2008 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpecialAgentSicari (Post 165629)
I have had up to five instances of the phone running at one time. If you download CELETASK you can stop them. I dont know what causes them eather.

ok i've got one vote for Celetask here, does anyone know of anyother task managers that can kill these types of processes? Most of the task managers i know of only kill running programs, they dont let you kill individual processes that are running in the background. TIA - Naut

blasphemous_prime 01-22-2008 02:09 PM

i dunno of another task manager on earth besides celetask (which i just knew of reading this thread now), but i'll be up to try it as well.

boubert 01-22-2008 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sudermatt (Post 165612)
Thank you for the explanation. You are obviously very knowledgeable.

Can you give just another moment of your brain?

Is it a problem to see 3 instances of the Phone at running? is that robbing memory?
I've heard of people disabling services. Do you know what I might try? and how do do it?

Thank in advance,
Matt

3-5??? Well lets see, (1). 1x connection (2). EVDO (3). WIFI (4). Bluetooth (5). infrared, yep makes sense to me. i always have 2 copys running but then again i dont use the BT infrared or wifi. but then again i dont have the problems of the memory leak. When I turn it on I have 19 mg of mem at the end of the day still 19 mg. the only thing I do is I have HTC X Button to close the apps

boubert 01-22-2008 02:27 PM

"One other thing u may want to remember clearing out PIE's cached pages/files, this frees up a few megs of program memory, if you use PIE alot.
This can be done by opening PIE, >menu >tools> options > memory tab> and delete files."

Or you could just use Clear Temp and set it to auto clean upon soft reset works like a charm, cache gets full just soft reset and viola

Ovendoor 01-22-2008 03:17 PM

This is a popular topic, particularly amongst mogul owners. It seems like a lot folks are obsessed w/available program memory, but don't actually experience problems.

To echo the thoughts already posted..as long as you're using some type of task manager and are willing to soft reset your phone daily/every other, I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

BTW- It may seem redundant but I use both Oxios and the task manager in the QuickMenu program (both of which are free & can be found on this site) to reclaim my lost RAM. Search for 'em and check 'em out.