PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2008, 03:23 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

papped is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Available memory is an issue if you are exceeding your available memory by opening up apps.

In other words some people manage memory better than others to get around this, i.e. finding 3rd party apps that use less memory and/or manage their system resources.

So yeah it can be an issue because a lot of WM apps can be very memory heavy.
Old 01-22-2008, 03:45 PM
morsus mihi
Pocket PC: iPhone 4
Carrier: AT&T

schettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by papped View Post
Yep... for example, I just cannot give up s2u2, so I accept the 2mb memory load (hey, at least its not 5mb like it used to be!)

But in trade, I don't use HTC home (or HTC HOG as I call it)

I use InClose to make the x actually close apps, and I mapped the email button to vjOkbutt so I have an "ok" button that really closes apps too. HTC Task Manager seems to want more memory, and actually does not work as well (for me, at least...)

I can run multiple apps at the same time, and sometimes do (rss reader+pie+email not uncommon) but when I am done with an app, I close it. I did this with WM5, which was slower to load apps and had way more memory available, and it sure doesn't hurt with WM6 on the mogul. Frankly app load speeds are so much better, I would rather wait 1-2 seconds now and then, instead of having the thing get all wonky because it ran out of memory.
Old 01-22-2008, 03:52 PM
Regular 'Geeker

papped is a n00b
Or SPB Hog. Their apps look nice but they are so ridiculously massive (granted I'm now a bit of a minimalist thanks to Palm OS).
Old 01-22-2008, 03:57 PM
Post Master General
Pocket PC: White Evo: Myn's TPT RLS5, Stock Kernel
Carrier: The "NOW" Network

InvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Wow, i just leared something painful while looking into this. I'm noticing that even after hibernating and reclaiming mem, once i press the Startmenu (either onscreen or hardkey) it instantly sapps 4MB consistenly!!! Ouch!! I too use both Oxios and Quickmenu, both of which are Must Have apps on my phone for me. On my todayscreen i have my Quickmenu battery meter to show the battery percentage, and Program Memory usage. I dont know how i never noticed this before. This means that by the time i finish browsing the web, I hover around 11MB avail prog mem...
Old 01-22-2008, 04:47 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: The Pro 2.0

Ovendoor knows their stuffOvendoor knows their stuffOvendoor knows their stuffOvendoor knows their stuffOvendoor knows their stuffOvendoor knows their stuff
Quote:
Originally Posted by schettj View Post
Yep... for example, I just cannot give up s2u2, so I accept the 2mb memory load (hey, at least its not 5mb like it used to be!)

But in trade, I don't use HTC home (or HTC HOG as I call it)

I use InClose to make the x actually close apps, and I mapped the email button to vjOkbutt so I have an "ok" button that really closes apps too. HTC Task Manager seems to want more memory, and actually does not work as well (for me, at least...)

I can run multiple apps at the same time, and sometimes do (rss reader+pie+email not uncommon) but when I am done with an app, I close it. I did this with WM5, which was slower to load apps and had way more memory available, and it sure doesn't hurt with WM6 on the mogul. Frankly app load speeds are so much better, I would rather wait 1-2 seconds now and then, instead of having the thing get all wonky because it ran out of memory.
I'm sure everyone is aware, this constant battle of what programs that we can afford to install and run comfortably has more to do with the overall lack of available RAM as opposed to the memory leak as the OP stated.

Regardless, lots of productivity, time, and enjoyment are lost to the Titan's minimal RAM more so than memory leak. I have a B.S. in RAM management.
Old 01-22-2008, 07:27 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Verizon (via Alltel takeover)

answerman is a n00b
Quote:
Originally Posted by blasphemous_prime View Post
i dunno of another task manager on earth besides celetask (which i just knew of reading this thread now), but i'll be up to try it as well.
Everyone who used the custom kitchens for the 6700 knows this one:
http://www.dotfred.net/TaskMgr.htm
DotFred's Task Manager is a great little tool.
Old 01-22-2008, 09:45 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Treo 700wx/Mogul/TouchPro/TouchPro2/EVO rooted

itsall_cooool is keeping up the good workitsall_cooool is keeping up the good work
There is no such thing as a memory "leak" ... poorly written programs leave pieces behind in program RAM. Task Managers close programs, they do not re-allocate RAM. Obviously, truly closing programs is the first basic step to better memory management. But the BEST way to keep RAM free after extensive use is the simplest: a 60 second soft reset.

I run between 12-19 mb ram free most of the day with heavy use, if my device seems slow I spare 60 seconds or so to soft reset. NO BIG DEAL AND PROBLEM SOLVED
Old 01-22-2008, 09:57 PM
Regular 'Geeker

papped is a n00b
Well, I think frequent "required" soft resets is a big deal, but maybe that's just me...
Old 01-22-2008, 10:28 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro Sprint->Verizon
Carrier: Verizon
Threadstarter

sudermatt is keeping up the good worksudermatt is keeping up the good work
When I drive home I use:
Live Search (traffic) - 3mg
Audio Manager (music) - 10 mg
internet explorer (surface street traffic) - 5-10mg

Then calls, texting.....it just doesn't add up....I don't want to give up anything...I've already given up VoiceCommand for this very reason....

I LOVE HTC HOG! I don't want to have to give it up.....But...
Old 01-23-2008, 12:02 AM
Noob
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint SERO

Baffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation level
Send a message via AIM to Baffles
Quote:
Originally Posted by papped View Post
Available memory is an issue if you are exceeding your available memory by opening up apps.

In other words some people manage memory better than others to get around this, i.e. finding 3rd party apps that use less memory and/or manage their system resources.

This is not an issue when the memory is being used for cache, as the OS silently drops cache to make memory available for the program. The only time this is an issue is when all the RAM is allocated for program use.

I run S2U2, some SPB stuff, and thats about it. I can go for weeks without a soft reset, in fact the past 3 resets have been due to the battery dying while I was in low coverage with low battery.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan