PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2008, 11:31 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: EVO
Carrier: Sprint

soinkster is keeping up the good worksoinkster is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
’ on my mogul

why on certain websites i get these symbols instead of quotation marks or commas? it makes for a tough read sometimes, thanks
Old 01-19-2008, 09:46 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Mogul

jaak is a n00b
Quote:
Originally Posted by soinkster View Post
why on certain websites i get these symbols instead of quotation marks or commas? it makes for a tough read sometimes, thanks
A simple explanation is that there are different character set encodings in use out there. As you probably know, the letter A isn't really an A to a computer, it's a binary number. The computer knows to convert that binary number to the letter A. Other binary numbers convert to other letters, numbers, and symbols.

How these binary numbers get converted into stuff you can read is called a character set encoding. The most popular one is called ASCII, but it is very limited on the types of characters it can display. There are many other encodings used. In order to see the proper character in the document you are reading the same (or a compatible) character set encoding must be used by the document creator and the program used to read that document.

If you see strange symbols, one of the follow has happened: 1) Your web browser or operating system doesn't support that encoding. 2) The web site said it used one encoding but it really used a different encoding. 3) It didn't say which encoding it was using and your web browser assumed a different encoding. 4) The web page used a non-standard encoding (like a special font you don't have).

This error is pretty common when using word processors to edit web documents.

Last edited by jaak; 01-19-2008 at 09:49 PM.
Old 01-22-2008, 03:15 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: EVO
Threadstarter

soinkster is keeping up the good worksoinkster is keeping up the good work
sort Of makes sense. are you saying that its no options i can change but rather its the web sites preferences to show this way? i think
Old 01-22-2008, 08:54 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Mogul

jaak is a n00b
Ultimately, it is a combination of things that cause the problem (which I listed above). The webmaster could fix it easily. You can sometimes work around the problem by manually choosing the correct encoding. In PocketIE choose tools/options and pick the proper encoding (it will take some investigation to find the proper one).

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan