PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2008, 12:49 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: touch pro
Carrier: sprint

sfld is keeping up the good worksfld is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
slingbox

ok I've known about slinboxs since my treo days...I got a few questions... I got dishnetwork via a fta reciever...and regular cable.. what is a good box to get to control them both or one at a time? I see a lot of models on ebay for fairly good prices what are the differences? and does it affect people who are at my house watchin tv? or it won't change channels when I do?
Old 01-18-2008, 02:37 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: TP2
Carrier: Sprint

vaporE is just getting started
Slingbox has a handy little page (http://www.slingmedia.com/go/help-me-choose) to help you choose which box is right for you. After clicking three times it appears that you would want the SlingBox Pro.

I have the Slingbox AV and it is just to serve up content from one input device. This suits my needs just fine as I have a DirecTV receiver in my office that only I watch. Having said that, think of watching your "slung" media exactly as if you are sitting in front of the TV. Anything you watch or if you change the channel is displayed on the TV as if you were right there running the remote control. So... If your significant other is watching Oprah at the exact time you wish to watch something, you may end up sleeping on the couch if you interrupt the "My Favorite Things" show by changing the channel.
Old 01-18-2008, 04:19 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Treo 700wx/Mogul/TouchPro/TouchPro2/EVO rooted

itsall_cooool is keeping up the good workitsall_cooool is keeping up the good work
Slingbox Av looks very good but doesnt include mobile software, must purchase seperately for 29.99. While researching slingbox I found this:
http://myhava.com/product_hava_gold_...FSBMGgodQgwh2g
(there is a free download of beta mobile software)
Don't know anything about it but thought I'd share
Old 01-18-2008, 12:25 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: touch pro
Threadstarter

sfld is keeping up the good worksfld is keeping up the good work
does the slingbox AV offer me the chance to plug in coaxial cable.. and AV from a dishnetwork box?
Old 01-18-2008, 12:47 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

rstcso is a n00b
Best to go the Sling's web site and see all the options, but none have a built in tuner, so do not have rf input. They are designed to take the output of a video source (cable box, satellite, etc) and route it through the Slingbox and back out to the tv or display you are using.

Edit: I was informed by a coworker that his original Slingbox that looks like a silver Hershey bar has a built in tuner. I stand corrected.

Last edited by rstcso; 01-18-2008 at 01:30 PM.
Old 01-18-2008, 02:57 PM
Halfway to VIP Status

digiblur is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardigiblur is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardigiblur is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardigiblur is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfld View Post
ok I've known about slinboxs since my treo days...I got a few questions... I got dishnetwork via a fta reciever...and regular cable.. what is a good box to get to control them both or one at a time? I see a lot of models on ebay for fairly good prices what are the differences? and does it affect people who are at my house watchin tv? or it won't change channels when I do?
Wow... someone in a forum that is against stealing applications is admitting in the very same forum they are stealing DishNetwork service via a FTA receiver.
Old 01-18-2008, 02:58 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: TP2

vaporE is just getting started
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfld View Post
does the slingbox AV offer me the chance to plug in coaxial cable.. and AV from a dishnetwork box?
The AV does not have coax in as it does not offer a tuner. Like rstcso said, it is only designed to display the video source output from your tuner box (ie: cable box or dish receiver) one at a time using either composite cables or svideo.

@itsall_cooool:
That looks like a great alternative. Since I already have my AV I forked out the $30 for the mobile software.
Old 01-18-2008, 05:08 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: htc diamond

iwillfearnoevil is just getting started
for me slingplayer pro (for satellite) and $30 for mobile software is really worth it. helps me actually get use out of my nfl sunday ticket and is awesome with the wow factor of showing off my phone. yeah i can watch tv and the quality is great!
Old 01-18-2008, 06:02 PM
N00b

rstcso is a n00b
I just received the 2100ma OEM battery (it's charging now) because I recently installed the Slingbox. I've see the AV on sale at Frys for $99 several times and Woot had a refurbished AV much cheaper a few weeks ago. Now it's reported Time Warner is going to start charging new Roadrunner customers in Beaumont, TX by their usage and IF (read WHEN) the test goes ok, they're planning on rolling it out nationwide. Neither the battery or Time Warner has anything to do with this post, but has a lot to do with my future Slinging .
Old 01-18-2008, 06:08 PM
Noob
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint SERO

Baffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation level
Send a message via AIM to Baffles
I have a slingbox solo. Works awesome.

Also, about the RR charging for usage, thats for new customers, not existing ones, and I believe that that's only for lower end tiers. They should still be offering unlimited access for actual users. Kinda like unlimited dialup vs limited dialup, the charge for usage is good for infrequent users.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan