PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2008, 01:33 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Sprint Mogul

Carralo is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
a little clarity and help

Hello everyone.

I have brand new Sprint Mogul, which I take is the Titan. I've been reading the stickies, browsing and most of all absorbing it all like a sponge for few days now. Reading threads here at PPCG and over at xda-developers.

I'm not new to hardware, least when it comes to computers, servers and etc. But I'm a compleate noob when it comes to cell stuff.

I'm suffering from a bit of information overload. What I'm looking todo is place the HTC touch interface and HTCHome onto the mogul. But I'm confused if this is a ROM flash or a plugin, or if there is a difference between the two. My main fear is screwing up and bricking the phone as some call it. If someone can help guide me in this accomplishment then some of the other mods will become a bit more clear to me.

Currently my phone device info reads
Rom Version: 2.09.651.3
Rom Date: 06/14/07
Radio Version: 1.32.00
Hardware ver: 0003

I know there is a newer ROM available, and one that should be released soon for EVDO.A and GPS enable.

guidance appreciated. TIA
Old 01-12-2008, 02:22 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: None
Carrier: Att

Joeriginal is a n00b
Well there is very little chance of bricking your phone with official sprint ROM upgrades, and the HTC Home interfaces are just .cab instilations which shouldnt do any damage, as far as Roms Id suggest the 2.17 one, alot of users have said thats the most stable one out there, and like the rest of us, wait with dreaded anticipation for the "GPS" "REV.A" update coming in the fairly soon future.
Old 01-12-2008, 02:29 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Sprint Mogul
Threadstarter

Carralo is a n00b
Thank you for the response Joeriginal. That did clear it up a bit. So what is all the custom ROM things for, I mean what is it they have over the stock ROM. Performance tweaks? or something better?

Also what do you gain in unlocking the phone? SPL unlock I think is the term.

Last edited by Carralo; 01-12-2008 at 02:53 PM.
Old 01-12-2008, 02:54 PM
VIP & Master of my Domain
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4g
Carrier: Sprint

stroths is a VIPstroths is a VIPstroths is a VIPstroths is a VIPstroths is a VIPstroths is a VIPstroths is a VIPstroths is a VIPstroths is a VIPstroths is a VIPstroths is a VIP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carralo View Post
Thank you for the response Joeriginal. That did clear it up a bit. So what is all the custom ROM things for, I mean what is it they have over the stock ROM. Performance tweaks? or something better?
Think of the stock rom as a Dell customized version of Windows. Has lots of crap, safe settings and is pretty much bloated and boring.

A custom rom usually starts off with a base ROM with just the bare necessities and applications, tweaks and settings are added to it to the author's likings. You can download a kitchen like the one DogGuy made and build it to your likings. For example, you could build in the HTC Home plugin. When you hard reset a custom ROM, all your built in apps and settings are still there.

Old 01-12-2008, 03:11 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: None
Carrier: Att

Joeriginal is a n00b
But be forwarned if you brick your phone with a custom Rom you could very well void any insurance contract you have with sprint and would have to either pay out of pocket for repairs or buy a new ppc, depending on which would be cheaper, so if you use a custom rom thats a risk you take. I prefer to stick with stock updates, and modify accordingly just to stay on the safe side, cause if you dont know exactly what your doing you can damage your device.
Old 01-12-2008, 07:34 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Mogul

nosmohtac is becoming a great contributor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carralo View Post

Also what do you gain in unlocking the phone? SPL unlock I think is the term.
The SPL unlock is required to install any ROM that is "Custom" if you don't run the SPL unlocker then the phone will only allow you to install OEM ROMs with the RUU (ROM update utility).

If you want a good, clean, stable ROM, I would recommend DCD's clean ROM.

Everyone has their own preferences, and although Colonel's custom ROMs are sweet, they have too many programs that I don't use, and I'd rather install my own or use DogGuy's kitchen to cook your own ROM to your liking.
Old 01-13-2008, 04:37 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Mogul

Tuneses is a n00b
Send a message via AIM to Tuneses Send a message via MSN to Tuneses
Hehe thanks for asking. I'm in the same situation as you, just waiting on delivery. I'm no stranger to messing with Windows but dont wanna mess up my cell.

From what I just read you guys saying that you can mess it up to the point where you cant just like "format and reinstall"? I'm very interested in the iphone look and want to make sure I havent just bought a very expensive paper weight.
Old 01-13-2008, 05:44 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Treo 700wx/Mogul/TouchPro/TouchPro2/EVO rooted

itsall_cooool is keeping up the good workitsall_cooool is keeping up the good work
A PPC phone like the Mogul with its connectivity and software applications are typically designed for users who NEED these functions.

If all you want is a cool looking phone with a slick interface, music playing ability and simple browsing/e-mail functions, then by all means return your Mogul and get the iPhone. The iPhone is hardware designed to be an easy, intuitive, cool-looking interface. Anything you add to a PPC to achieve that 'look' is just that: an add-on, meaning its an interface ON TOP of an already existing system.

Most of the people here are what the website is aptly named for.... PPC GEEKS. We love the challenge of making the PPC phone do whatever we want it to, as efficiently as possible. Just don't have the expectations that you can get all this power and iPhone slickness.

As I have said before, comparing a loaded PPC like the Mogul to an iPhone is like comparing Excel to a calculator.
Old 01-13-2008, 01:57 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Mogul

Tuneses is a n00b
Send a message via AIM to Tuneses Send a message via MSN to Tuneses
I wasnt saying that I wanted an Iphone. I was saying that I like the Iphone skins that people have been posting and was interested in applying that. I like to tinker alot with my PC, i've done tech support for 7 years. My question was simply if I mess with things like the Iphone skin can I always "Format and reinstall" as I would if my PC experiments go too far.

It's honestly very overwhelming to first get this and get started with everything that is available. It's why I picked Mogul, i like to tinker. Just wanting to know how far I can tinker :P
Old 01-13-2008, 02:12 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Treo 700wx/Mogul/TouchPro/TouchPro2/EVO rooted

itsall_cooool is keeping up the good workitsall_cooool is keeping up the good work
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuneses View Post
I wasnt saying that I wanted an Iphone. I was saying that I like the Iphone skins that people have been posting and was interested in applying that. I like to tinker alot with my PC, i've done tech support for 7 years. My question was simply if I mess with things like the Iphone skin can I always "Format and reinstall" as I would if my PC experiments go too far.

It's honestly very overwhelming to first get this and get started with everything that is available. It's why I picked Mogul, i like to tinker. Just wanting to know how far I can tinker :P

Most all of the software/interfaces posted here have been tested and work, and following the instructions carefully will usually give you success. Whatever you dont understand people will generally help with.

Doing a bit of research using the 'search' feature along the top links will usually save you some time and aggravation, whichever app you choose to investigate. Some of the iPhone clones require second party software which must be purchased, some do not. Just make sure you read the requirements before you start!

Good luck and happy tinkering!

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan