PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2008, 10:28 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Bell PPC 6800
Carrier: Bell

z24's rule is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
How to make the 6800 a world phone???

Is there any software out that I can unlock my phone to make it work anywhere.

I was going to sell it but need to find this out before hand to make up my mind %100

Have to buy can't use on a $599 smart phone

1,Have to buy a Stand along GPS

2,Can't use it in wales or any place in the UK

If I get the No that it can't be unlocked

It looks like the BlackBerry 8830 is for me and I need to say bye to this windows device.

As the black berry has GPS built in and is a world phone for some dollars extra.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:55 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: EVO
Carrier: Sprint

supdawg is halfway to VIP status based on repsupdawg is halfway to VIP status based on repsupdawg is halfway to VIP status based on repsupdawg is halfway to VIP status based on repsupdawg is halfway to VIP status based on repsupdawg is halfway to VIP status based on repsupdawg is halfway to VIP status based on repsupdawg is halfway to VIP status based on repsupdawg is halfway to VIP status based on rep
As far as I know, the 6800 is a CDMA phone which the way I understand is only used in America. The ROW (rest of world) uses GSM technology. I am not 100% certain, but I think the technology used is part of the hardware, and cannot be switched interoperably via a software/firmware update.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:55 PM
Timeless
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

TurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to TurboFool Send a message via MSN to TurboFool Send a message via Yahoo to TurboFool
CDMA is all but nonexistant elsewhere in the world. Most of the world, especially the UK, runs on GSM. So a phone without GSM is pretty much useless as a world phone. True world phones have CDMA and multiple bands of GSM for each of the countries' standards.
Old 01-08-2008, 11:03 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Bell PPC 6800
Carrier: Bell
Threadstarter

z24's rule is a n00b
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboFool View Post
CDMA is all but nonexistant elsewhere in the world. Most of the world, especially the UK, runs on GSM. So a phone without GSM is pretty much useless as a world phone. True world phones have CDMA and multiple bands of GSM for each of the countries' standards.
So the Black Berry 8830 is not a true world phone as its on the GSM network

I'm confused now???

http://na.blackberry.com/eng/devices...d=H0,C201,P463

Well were on this subject and you know a lot about this,When I go over to the UK in the spring I have to sign up with a provider over there and get a new number or do I just use my normal one from Canada.

Also GSM means a Sim card right
Old 01-08-2008, 11:31 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: EVO

supdawg is halfway to VIP status based on repsupdawg is halfway to VIP status based on repsupdawg is halfway to VIP status based on repsupdawg is halfway to VIP status based on repsupdawg is halfway to VIP status based on repsupdawg is halfway to VIP status based on repsupdawg is halfway to VIP status based on repsupdawg is halfway to VIP status based on repsupdawg is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Not really, because there are 4 bands of GSM used in the world. The US uses two, and the rest of the world uses two different ones.

This looks like the GSM frequencies this phone uses is for outside the US, because the US used 850mHz and 1900mHz bands.

If you want to learn which counties uses what refer to here:

http://www.gsmworld.com/roaming/gsminfo/index.shtml

Last edited by supdawg; 01-08-2008 at 11:33 PM.
Old 01-08-2008, 11:34 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Mogul

nosmohtac is becoming a great contributor
If I understand correctly, the 8830 is a CDMA phone with a GSM radio too.
I think the way the one on sprint works is you pay your regular monthly fee to use it in the U.S. on the CDMA network, and if you go over to Europe, then you can either buy a prepaid SIM card or use a SIM card for one of the providers over there.
Old 01-08-2008, 11:48 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: touch pro2/ blackberry bold
Carrier: sprint & at & t

idenkilla is just getting started
Send a message via AIM to idenkilla
arent there a few countries out there that have cdma technology? I read that india has ove the air activation of cdma phones as long ans the spc and msl is all 0. how is that possible?
Old 01-09-2008, 03:33 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: U.S. Cellular

viper15c is a n00b
just be really super cool and get a magellan satalite phone
Old 01-09-2008, 09:55 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G

shellguy is becoming a PPCGeeks regularshellguy is becoming a PPCGeeks regularshellguy is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to shellguy Send a message via MSN to shellguy Send a message via Yahoo to shellguy
yes the 8830 is a world band smart phone, it can run on GSM networks as welll as CDMA, not sure what they do but it will run, you can see on rims site
Old 01-09-2008, 10:28 AM
AnthroMatt

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosmohtac View Post
If I understand correctly, the 8830 is a CDMA phone with a GSM radio too.
I think the way the one on sprint works is you pay your regular monthly fee to use it in the U.S. on the CDMA network, and if you go over to Europe, then you can either buy a prepaid SIM card or use a SIM card for one of the providers over there.
Pretty much. I just switched from an 8830 to the Mogul. The 8830 is designed to work on CDMA networks in North America and GSM everywhere else (hence the omission of the 850/1900 GSM bands. Sprint doesn't want you to roam on ATT or T-Mobile here in the States, or to be able to use one of their SIMs in your phone.

The Sprint 8830 comes preinstalled with an unactivated SIM card for overseas use. You will pay Sprint international roaming rates when using this card. The alternative is to use a prepaid SIM in the country to which you are visiting. This is usually cheaper, but you would also be getting a temp. number for overseas use, whereas with the Sprint SIM, anyone can reach you with your existing number.

The 8830 is a nice phone, but didn't quite fit my needs nicely enough.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan