PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Titan (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   How can I use a custom ringtone for my text messages on my mogul? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=15550)

jonathan_v9008 01-07-2008 06:05 PM

How can I use a custom ringtone for my text messages on my mogul?

Is this possible?

xweaponx 01-07-2008 06:32 PM

Ringtone? Do you mean a .mp3 or .wav file as a text message recieved notification?

I have my sounds linstalled on my storage card. Then I go to Start\Settings\Sounds & notifications\Notifications...

In "Event", slide down to Messaging:New text message...

then select a tone/sound/clip from the list...

jonathan_v9008 01-07-2008 11:46 PM

Ringtones

Downloaded ringtones. They wont show up on the drop down list. I have mine saved on the MY RINGTONES folder. They seem to show up on the PHONE:INCOMING CALL drop down list but no on MESSAGING: NEW TEXT MESSAGE

malinda21 01-07-2008 11:49 PM

convert it to a .wav file and place it in the windows folder first

xweaponx 01-08-2008 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathan_v9008 (Post 156927)
Downloaded ringtones. They wont show up on the drop down list. I have mine saved on the MY RINGTONES folder. They seem to show up on the PHONE:INCOMING CALL drop down list but no on MESSAGING: NEW TEXT MESSAGE

I have all mine installed on my storage card. No folder or dir... just smack onto the storage card and my Messaging: New Text Message drop down see's them. I do not have tones or sounds installed anywhere else except for the stock one's in the \windows dir.

InsertUserAlias 01-08-2008 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathan_v9008 (Post 156927)

It's most likely because the song you want to use is in the My Rintones directory on your phone. I don't believe that it will recognize the file it is it there. I would also suggest doing the reg hack to let your ringtones play from your SD card to save space on your device. Here is the registry hack.

Allow Ringtones from Micro SD Card
HKCU\ControlPanel\SoundCategories\Ring\Directory:\ Windows\ => \Storage Card\
** Need to create a folder on your SD card, named “My Ringtones” (Thanks for dakrnguy4u). Otherwise it won’t work

... after I did the hack my device recognized the files as "ringtones" in all of the sound and notifications directories. If you don't want to do that (cuz messing around in the registry can mess things up if you don't know what you're doing)... just plug in your phone. Open up Activesync and find one of the sounds that is available to be your text tone and then just copy the song you want in there. It should work after that.

xweaponx 01-08-2008 12:28 AM

Hopefully that may work for jonathan_v9008.

But I have no registry hack enabled on my phone and even after a hard reset my phone automatically recognizes the mp3's, .wav's, midi's, etc on my storage card.

I wonder if the tones are copyrighted? If they are copyrighted or require a license they may not work...

InsertUserAlias 01-08-2008 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xweaponx (Post 156954)
Hopefully that may work for jonathan_v9008.

But I have no registry hack enabled on my phone and even after a hard reset my phone automatically recognizes the mp3's, .wav's, midi's, etc on my storage card.

I wonder if the tones are copyrighted? If they are copyrighted or require a license they may not work...

Good point. I never thought of that. I have had my device recognize them before when they were in the main directory on my storage card, but it didn't like to play them very efficiantly so I did the hack. Not to mention, I try to be super organized so I like having a seperate directory for them and the registry pointing to that location now. :)

jonathan_v9008 01-08-2008 12:41 AM

They are not copyrighted but is there any way it can detect them while in MY RINGTONES folder.

InsertUserAlias 01-08-2008 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathan_v9008 (Post 156964)
They are not copyrighted but is there any way it can detect them while in MY RINGTONES folder.

If they are copyrighted, I have no idea lol.