PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2008, 12:55 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Splitter is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Angry Oy.... VZN XV-6800 Calls Home?

So I've had my Titan for a month now and got my VZN bill online... for over $2000.00. Needless to say, as a PPC phone non-noob, I was torked.

Right now, I have the pay as you go data plan. I check my mail or this and other sites, and when I'm done, I go to comm manager and turn the data connection off.

So when I told this to my VZN rep, she told me that this phone has a built in call home feature. It calls home many times a day, accounting for the 111M of data from my phone over the last month.

If I had been on-site, I would have thrown my new phone at her.

She cleared the current (this months) charges, retro dated the unlimited data plan, which was "nice" of her. But I still have to work on the $2000.00 of data charges from last month.

I don't even know what to say... I'm so upset with VZN it isn't funny. If there is a VZN tech or rep on this board... maybe you could explain this one to me.

http://www.antiterrornet.com

...because even you would fly 10000 miles to smoke a camel.
Old 01-13-2008, 01:18 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G
Carrier: Sprint

shellguy is becoming a PPCGeeks regularshellguy is becoming a PPCGeeks regularshellguy is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to shellguy Send a message via MSN to shellguy Send a message via Yahoo to shellguy
Yet another reason i don't like VzW, along with the crippleing of the BT

Will
Old 01-13-2008, 03:28 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC ERIS
Carrier: VZW

binny1070 is a n00b
If she back dated your plan to unlimited data that you do not have to pay the 2000 in charges i have went over my min alot i mean i had a 800 dollar bill and i called they upped my plan and i only had to pay for new plan. So i would call back and get some clarifaction, VZW has allways been great to me and if you explan to them that you do not understand, they should explain everything to you. And if you are still resposable for those charges. Tell them that you want your plan back dated to when the charges started. Trust me they want to work with you and help you out, they would rather have your monthly pament, than have you switch to someone else. That is what they told me when they gave me a free 6800 when my joystick on my 6700 took a crap. hope that helps.
Old 01-13-2008, 08:02 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

akijikan is keeping up the good workakijikan is keeping up the good workakijikan is keeping up the good work
Sounds like BS to me. I'm guessing you really used 111MB.

There was a story around here of a sprint rep telling someone that when you use WiFi the phone still uses an EVDO connection to "buffer" a low wifi signal. LOL.

I worked as a Rep for the T-Mob. These people are not above of pulling stuff out of their ass. They're the same no matter which company they work for.
Old 01-13-2008, 09:38 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

No, that's the rub. I checked my mail and a few web sites no more than 10 - 12 times over the last month. There is absolutely NO WAY I used more than 5 - 10M of data.

That's my problem with them. The rep said the phone calls home (using data) all the time and that I should have been told that. I'm gonna use that when I talk to them again tomorrow. That, my friend, is BS.
Old 01-14-2008, 10:32 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: XV6800
Carrier: Verizon

customshopkv1 is a n00b
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitter View Post
No, that's the rub. I checked my mail and a few web sites no more than 10 - 12 times over the last month. There is absolutely NO WAY I used more than 5 - 10M of data.

That's my problem with them. The rep said the phone calls home (using data) all the time and that I should have been told that. I'm gonna use that when I talk to them again tomorrow. That, my friend, is BS.
I don't see any reason to not have the unlimited data plan with a phone like this.
Old 01-14-2008, 12:06 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: lg optimus

dishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Quote:
Originally Posted by customshopkv1 View Post
I don't see any reason to not have the unlimited data plan with a phone like this.
Umm... ok, sure, whatever.

Look, I have an unlimited plan because I use this as connectivity device, but I've seen plenty of people who just want to combine their PDA and phone, and don't care for data service. Especially on Verizon service (g-d I hate them so much)... they charge way too much for data. If I were stuck with them, I would seriously think twice about unlimited data as well.
Not to mention this comment doesn't help the OP at all.

Back to the situation at hand...
Splitter, I have had this phone since it was released this summer on Sprint. I owned 3 WM phones before that. Never, and I repeat NEVER have I heard of a phone "Calling Home". WTF does that mean?! Who's it calling, and why is it using data? That doesn't make ANY sense at all. None.
You were lied to.
Old 01-14-2008, 01:30 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: PPC-6800 (Sprint Mogul)

bakntyme is keeping up the good workbakntyme is keeping up the good work
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitter View Post

First, tell them that your home computer swears that it never answered those calls, so you should not be charged for uncompleted calls.

Second, there have been threads for a long time about this on PPC phones. When the 6600 first came out there were many threads about $2000 monthly data bills. Turning off the data connection does not keep the device from re-establishing a connection whenever it sees fit, and something on your phone is initiating the data connection. I remember someone saying that setting a password on your data connection will work, so that it will not connect without you entering the password. Search for that and give it a shot.

edit:
I found this post, it is for a Sprint user but hopefully will work on Verizon too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuguy View Post
Instead of delgeting the sprint connection, just put anything in the password field. The password needs to be left blank, so this way if you (or your phone) tries to connect to vision (sprint) the user/password will pop up. If you choose to connect simply delete the password, don't save the setting and connect, if you don't choose connect you will not be charged anything as you are not connecting to their network.

You do not get charged by sprint for using free wifi - but sprint and verizon both have there cs reps so brainwashed about the word data... I think if you told them you have digital data on your phone you need to back up before doing a hard reset they would tell you they need to charge you for the data...

Last edited by bakntyme; 01-14-2008 at 01:37 PM.
Old 01-14-2008, 06:19 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dishe View Post
Umm... ok, sure, whatever.

Look, I have an unlimited plan because I use this as connectivity device, but I've seen plenty of people who just want to combine their PDA and phone, and don't care for data service. Especially on Verizon service (g-d I hate them so much)... they charge way too much for data. If I were stuck with them, I would seriously think twice about unlimited data as well.
Not to mention this comment doesn't help the OP at all.

Back to the situation at hand...
Splitter, I have had this phone since it was released this summer on Sprint. I owned 3 WM phones before that. Never, and I repeat NEVER have I heard of a phone "Calling Home". WTF does that mean?! Who's it calling, and why is it using data? That doesn't make ANY sense at all. None.
You were lied to.
You are right, I was lied to. Called them today, and after about 20 minutes of mindless banter, they dumped the $2k data charges. I've had almost 4 years worth of ppc phones, 6600, 6700 and now the 6800. I questioned the rep who told me that, she was adamant though... but the rep I spoke with today knew what she was talking about.

Thanks for posting.

Shalom vBrachos!

/Yehudah

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan