PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2008, 12:51 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: EVO
Carrier: Sprint

Odeezie is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Odeezie
wifi charges

So I've done a search and I didn't pull up anything solid so hopefully this hasn't been covered much already. Basically, I got my first months bill and was charged for "wireless web anytime minutes - PCS Data" for around $50. I DO NOT have vision enabled. I called customer service and they had tech support explain the situation to me. Basically, they said that even when you connect to wifi spots, the sprint data network is still being used somehow. She called it IPB or was it IBP? Either way, I was completely confused as to how that works. I asked a guy at the sprint store and he said that sometimes the sprint data network is used to help "buffer" slow or bad wifi connections. How is this even possible? I'm not saying I don't believe them but it's just retarded to me that you would have wifi capability while having a data plan. I feel pretty damn cheated!! One of the reasons why I bought the phone was so I could use wifi instead of paying for a data package!! Can anyone explain to me how this technology works??

cn: wifi usage causes data usage on the sprint data network. How?
Old 01-04-2008, 01:33 AM
Almost a VIP

supdawg is halfway to VIP status based on repsupdawg is halfway to VIP status based on repsupdawg is halfway to VIP status based on repsupdawg is halfway to VIP status based on repsupdawg is halfway to VIP status based on repsupdawg is halfway to VIP status based on repsupdawg is halfway to VIP status based on repsupdawg is halfway to VIP status based on repsupdawg is halfway to VIP status based on rep
There is a reason, but I do not recall the specifics. If I recall correctly, there is a way to circumvent it.

Hopefully someone can chime in with an answer. I'll see if I can dig something up for you.
Old 01-04-2008, 03:14 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: Raphel
Carrier: Spring

Nunim is a n00b
Granted, I'm no expert but it seems stupid to me to use the 3g data connection when Wifi is in use, I don't see why'd they design it like that.
Old 01-04-2008, 03:29 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by supdawg View Post
There is a reason, but I do not recall the specifics. If I recall correctly, there is a way to circumvent it.

Hopefully someone can chime in with an answer. I'll see if I can dig something up for you.
Well they said you have to contact sprint and have them disable the data and EVDO capabilities. I would do that but they already gave me Vision for 10 bucks because I was so pissed, haha.

But really though, did was this explained to ANYONE when buying the phone or through research??? I was told buy the sprint rep. "oh you can get online for free without purchasing a data plan!" LIES!
Old 01-04-2008, 04:55 AM
Deep Thinker
Pocket PC: Tin Can
Carrier: Atomic Vibration

gguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributions
No, they didnt' lie. You _can_ get online without purchasing a data plan.

By default, the carrier's network is used first and WIFI is used 2nd. The thinking behind this is that the carrier's network is more stable for cell based browsing usage (true).

If you don't have a data plan, you can turn off automatic evdo/1x connections. There are a number of ways to do this, from registry changes to software apps to OEM modules you can include.
Old 01-04-2008, 05:29 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

pctek4456 is becoming a great contributor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odeezie View Post
So I've done a search and I didn't pull up anything solid so hopefully this hasn't been covered much already. Basically, I got my first months bill and was charged for "wireless web anytime minutes - PCS Data" for around $50. I DO NOT have vision enabled. I called customer service and they had tech support explain the situation to me. Basically, they said that even when you connect to wifi spots, the sprint data network is still being used somehow. She called it IPB or was it IBP? Either way, I was completely confused as to how that works. I asked a guy at the sprint store and he said that sometimes the sprint data network is used to help "buffer" slow or bad wifi connections. How is this even possible? I'm not saying I don't believe them but it's just retarded to me that you would have wifi capability while having a data plan. I feel pretty damn cheated!! One of the reasons why I bought the phone was so I could use wifi instead of paying for a data package!! Can anyone explain to me how this technology works??

cn: wifi usage causes data usage on the sprint data network. How?
Wifi Is Wifi, It does not use the sprint network to "Buffer". What may have occurred is that while you were accessing the wifi network, you might of lost connection for a quick second and the phone tried to keep you active online by connecting to an alternative connection thus activating the Sprint Network. One Way to make sure this does not occur on the mogul is by performing the following steps.

Download an alternative file manager (Besides the one thats included with the phone already) Such as total commander or resco explorer.

Once Done, navigate to the windows/startup directory and delete the file called HTC_CM_Guardian.exe (might be a hidden file so you may have to unhide it). This file restores the connection profile for sprint's data network everytime you turn off and on your phone.

After you have deleted the file, close out of everything and navigate to the device settings, connections tab, then Connections icon. There you can now delete the sprint network settings which would prevent the phone from automatically connecting to it in the future.

Once this is completed, you should reboot your phone and you will no longer have any connectivity to sprint's network and should not incurr anymore charges from this in regards to data usage.

That should do it. I would suggest you call sprint back and fighting those data charges off your bill as you weren't completely informed of the situation at hand and therefore it wasn't your fault. You shouldn't have to pay for something you didn't willingly use.
Old 01-04-2008, 10:40 AM
morsus mihi
Pocket PC: iPhone 4
Carrier: AT&T

schettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Or, call sprint and tell them you do NOT want ANY vision access from that line.

They will remove all data provisioning, and your phone will not be able to connect should it decide it wants to.

you can do that via email to ecare too - I killed all vision on my kid's phone line this way. No fuss, no muss.
Old 01-04-2008, 10:42 AM
Oldguy
Pocket PC: Moto DROID
Carrier: vzw

nuguy knows their stuffnuguy knows their stuffnuguy knows their stuffnuguy knows their stuffnuguy knows their stuffnuguy knows their stuff
Instead of delgeting the sprint connection, just put anything in the password field. The password needs to be left blank, so this way if you (or your phone) tries to connect to vision (sprint) the user/password will pop up. If you choose to connect simply delete the password, don't save the setting and connect, if you don't choose connect you will not be charged anything as you are not connecting to their network.

You do not get charged by sprint for using free wifi - but sprint and verizon both have there cs reps so brainwashed about the word data... I think if you told them you have digital data on your phone you need to back up before doing a hard reset they would tell you they need to charge you for the data...

Have Wifi and GPS on your phone???
Check out Navizon. It's $$$ in your pocket!
http://my.navizon.com/Webapps/UserAd..._code=5E5D5D5F
Navizon- Get paid $s to use your phones GPS & Wifi!

My Navizon Thread:
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=21590
Old 01-05-2008, 02:53 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Thanks for the responses. For now, I've switched to Vision but if I decide I don't need it, then I'll try and disable the EVDO capabilities.

I'll keep you guys updated on whether or not they refund me!
Old 01-05-2008, 03:06 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

Phreddo is becoming a great contributor
for $10 a month i think vision is worth keeping on the 6800
the difference just about covers TEP.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan