PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2008, 06:13 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: mogul htc

ficxer is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Talking titan 6800

I just purchased the mogul htc, can a usb gps receiver and software be loaded into the phone and work. Something like microsoft maps and trips? thanks. Michael
Old 01-02-2008, 06:54 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: htc 6800

earldriscoll is a n00b
Yes an external GPS will work with mapping software on the 6800.
Old 01-02-2008, 06:59 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: touch pro
Carrier: sprint

phazed is just getting started
Yes

Yes you can buy an External Bluetooth GPS Receiver. I recommend \/\/ \/\/ \/\/.buygpsnow.com/ Their service was excellent and their prices were on par with EBAY!!! (That's good) I bought a Holux M1200 Because it is very small (I put it on my keychain!), reliable, and great battery life/charge times. Don't worry too much on how many channels there are... depending on how many Channels a GPS receiver has dictates how many satellites it can track at one given time... the more the better right? Wrong. I have seen a 60 channel GPS receiver! That is stupid. There are currently 27 GPS satellites in Geo-Synchronous orbit. Only 24 are in operation... 3 are reserves in case a satellite stops working. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_Positioning_System

On another point.. these satellites need to be more or less line-of-sight to your receiver.. so since you cant even pick up the sats on the other side of the world, they don't matter. OK, the point is you can only utilize 12-13 or so at any given time. Don't waste money on overkill.

Now.. time is an issue for you... The Mogul's Qualcomm processor has GPS built into the phone, it just hasn't been utilized by HTC/Sprint for some reason. They are going to release a ROM update to take advantage of the built in GPS receiver "Early 1Q 2008" according to HTC's web site. http://www.america.htc.com/support/m...dDeviceId=8997

So you have to decide on if you want to Wait for free GPS... and a solution that will render carrying and external one pointless.. or if you want it NOW!

Later,
phaZed
Old 01-02-2008, 07:19 PM
mmmm Freebirds
Pocket PC: HTC EVO (X2)
Carrier: Sprint

Darkness231 is a VIPDarkness231 is a VIPDarkness231 is a VIPDarkness231 is a VIPDarkness231 is a VIPDarkness231 is a VIPDarkness231 is a VIPDarkness231 is a VIPDarkness231 is a VIPDarkness231 is a VIPDarkness231 is a VIP
I second getting a Bluetooth GPS receiver (not sure that a USB one will work) from BuyGPSNow. I have bought 2 or 3 from them and never had any issues. I would recommend the Holux brand, the others that I have tried seemed to take longer to acquire lock (on cold start) but other than that they work.

Here is the link for discount codes

AXgps for 10% off gps hardware
AX10 for 10% off software
AX5 for 5% off gps bundles

And you dont have to be a Aximsite member

Good things don't end in 'eum,' they end in 'mania'...or 'teria'
Easily switch between TouchFlo and Mobile Shell
If you like my work feel free to
Old 01-02-2008, 07:25 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Imagio
Carrier: Verizon

whbell is a n00b
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficxer View Post
I just purchased the mogul htc, can a usb gps receiver and software be loaded into the phone and work. Something like microsoft maps and trips? thanks. Michael
I expect you would have a problem with a "USB" GPS receiver. The mogul is a USB Client. A USB GPS receiver would also be a client. To make this configuration work you would need a BlueTooth connected GPS Receiver.

I use one and it is great.
Old 01-02-2008, 09:04 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint Mogul
Carrier: sprint

pflatlyne is a n00b
I would wait for a month or so. GPS of somesort will be activated soon. We dont know what it will be like,or if they will try to lock it down to sprint apps,but unless you need it immediately,it would probably pay to wait and see what we get from sprint.
Old 01-03-2008, 01:40 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch Pro

neodorian is becoming a PPCGeeks regularneodorian is becoming a PPCGeeks regularneodorian is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Yeah, I'm holding off to see what the new ROM brings. If it's half-assed or tied to some pay-per-month service I plan to pick up a bluetooth GPS for my keychain but I figure I might as well see if it's decent. Even if it just works with Google Maps and not more fully-featured mapping programs I'd probably be fine with it. Just enough to save me the trouble when I locate my intersection on Maps and need to figure which way I'm heading.
Old 01-03-2008, 01:55 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Mogul

danyellw is a n00b
I recently got a bluetooth GPS and love it. Google maps, Microsoft Live Search and Tom Tom Navigator are all working great with it. I took the jump assuming that the GPS is going to be tied to some additional service from Sprint.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan