PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2007, 04:21 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Arrive
Carrier: Sprint

Paul_Hammons is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Extended_Rom unlocker/unhider, get it here.....

I received my Mogul a few hours ago, haven't even activated it yet..... first things first....

I created this extended rom unlocker and unhider for myself and you all.

Here ya go. Unzip this .zip file, copy over the titan_extrom_tools.cab, run the .cab on your phone. It will install to "Program Files/ExtRom_Tools". Go to this directory using file explorer. Double click on the "titan_extrom_tools.cab" You should get a "success" popup. Soft reset.

"Extended_ROM" should now be showing as a "Flash Drive" in file explorer and is visible from your activesynced connected PC.

One note, the mogul is protesting everytime I delete or add a file to the ext rom, saying this is write protected, just hit ok or skip. Browse out of the directory and come back in to see your changes. (forces a refresh of the directory) If you do not change directories, it will look like nothing changed, but it did change and just didn't refresh. Copies from my PC directly into ext rom are showing up immediately, however.

Hope this helps to start some customizations. I have already cleaned my ext rom of things like goodlink and am working to evaluate the remaining items.

-Paul
Attached Files
File Type: zip titan_extrom_tools_179.zip (4.0 KB, 674 views) Click for barcode!

Last edited by ImCoKeMaN; 09-28-2007 at 12:24 PM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 06-21-2007, 04:29 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: HTC Harrier, HTC Apache, HTC Titan, HTC Vogue....
Carrier: Sprint

colonel knows their stuffcolonel knows their stuffcolonel knows their stuffcolonel knows their stuffcolonel knows their stuffcolonel knows their stuff
As I said in the other thread, very nice work. I wish I had one to test this out on.

Same question, what actual function does the app perform to make the ExtRom writable?

If you have been helped by me or would like to support developers like Olipro, helmi_c, and others please feel free to Donate

ALWAYS FLASH BACK TO YOUR CARRIER'S OFFICIAL ROM BEFORE TAKING YOUR PHONE IN FOR SERVICE OF ANY KIND

Old 06-21-2007, 04:47 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: not
Carrier: sPriNt

codyppc is a VIPcodyppc is a VIPcodyppc is a VIPcodyppc is a VIPcodyppc is a VIPcodyppc is a VIPcodyppc is a VIPcodyppc is a VIPcodyppc is a VIPcodyppc is a VIPcodyppc is a VIP
Send a message via AIM to codyppc
nice job. just got mine and this is always one of the first thing on the "to do list".

thanks, cody
Old 06-23-2007, 06:13 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: TP12PREDIAMONDMOMENTEVO
Carrier: anyone

veronicamays is becoming a great contributor
Re: External Rom unlocker/unhider, get it here.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_Hammons
One note, the mogul is protesting everytime I delete or add a file to the ext rom, saying this is write protected, just hit ok or skip. Browse out of the directory and come back in to see your changes. (forces a refresh of the directory) If you do not change directories, it will look like nothing changed, but it did change and just didn't refresh. Copies from my PC directly into ext rom are showing up immediately, however.

Hope this helps to start some customizations. I have already cleaned my ext rom of things like goodlink and am working to evaluate the remaining items.

-Paul
I tried this and am not able to remove anything, I get the error and when I click ok it still doesn't remove them. I also am not able to edit the config file.
Old 06-24-2007, 11:50 AM
Lurker

meburton is a n00b
Same thing here. I have the extended_rom unhidden, but not unlocked.
Old 06-25-2007, 04:07 AM
Lurker

maejrep is a n00b
Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel
As I said in the other thread, very nice work. I wish I had one to test this out on.

Same question, what actual function does the app perform to make the ExtRom writable?
If you unpack the .cab file (XP lets you do this I believe; if not, it might be winrar that I'm using, which lets me extract the cab), look in the _setup.xml file. You'll see the registry changes that are applied, which is apparently what unlocks the extrom.
Old 06-25-2007, 04:43 AM
Lurker

maejrep is a n00b
I think this would be the most likely place to post this... Just in case anyone is interested in what is on the ExtROM partition:
  • AddContact
  • AddContacts.exe
  • AudioPara0330.sa.CAB
  • AutoRun.exe
  • Config.txt
  • DefaultRingtone.sa.CAB
  • GetGL.CAB
  • GroveMobile_plugIn.sa.CAB
  • MoveLnk.sa.CAB
  • MP_CVSDcpl_20070129.cab

And the contents of Config.txt:
Code:
LOCK:Enabled
CPY1:\Extended_ROM\AddContact
CPY2:\Windows\AddContact
EXEC:\Windows\RUN_SPRINT_TSK.lnk
EXEC:\Extended_ROM\AddContacts.exe
CAB: \Extended_ROM\GetGL.CAB
CAB: \Windows\AudibleAir_SprintPPC.CAB
CAB: \Extended_ROM\GroveMobile_pulgIn.sa.CAB
CAB: \Extended_ROM\MP_CVSDcpl_20070129.cab
CAB: \Extended_ROM\DefaultRingtone.sa.CAB
CAB: \Extended_ROM\AudioPara0330.sa.CAB
CAB: \Windows\ondemand_6800_boot.arm.CAB
CAB: \Extended_ROM\MoveLnk.sa.CAB
EXEC:\Windows\ChgScutAttri.exe
LOCK:Disabled
RST: Reset
I did a hard-reset, followed by a soft-reset before it began installing anything from ExtROM trick, then installed this unlocker to get access to the files there. To confirm, I have NOT installed any of the CABs from the ExtROM, and I am still able to use the phone, as well as access the Internet, and I did NOT have to configure anything (like setting up the #777, Vision username, etc...). I can confirm that the Sprint-installed items are not on the Today screen, and there are no Sprint contacts automatically added. Note that the HTC Plugin app on the Today screen IS there, since that is installed by the manufacturer, and is not considered an "addon" that the ExtROM should install. I find the HTC plugin useful anyway, so I'm not bothered by it. Also, I'm currently using 5MB of the Storage memory.

I'll start digging through the existing CAB files and determine what each one does, specifically.
Old 06-25-2007, 07:49 AM
Lurker

maejrep is a n00b
So, after several hours, I still can't figure out why I can't unlock the ExtROM, even with the supplied cab. I can read the ExtROM, but I'm not able to make any changes. Apparently the exe doesn't do what it's advertised to do. I noticed that the 'MountAsROM=0' and 'secure=0' reg settings get reverted automatically after a soft reset, presumably by the OEM_FLASHDRV driver. I found a thread at xda-developers with a tool that patches that driver to unlock the ROM, but it did not work for the Titan. I actually could not find the original OEM_FLASHDRV.dll file anywhere. After running the patch, the file showed up in \Windows, but then the ExtROM was not visible anymore (even tried installing the certs that the author says are required, and still no joy).

Renaming the "patched" dll, followed by a soft reset, brought the Extended_ROM partition back, but it was still not writable. To the original author: What specifically is the unlock tool meant to do, and how does it do it? It's obviously not working, but if I knew what needs to be done, it would help get a little closer to figuring out what's going wrong.

Is anyone able to get the unlock tool to work?
Old 06-26-2007, 01:51 PM
What I do is a Lou Thang
Pocket PC: Incredibl / Bold
Carrier: Verizon

wowthatisrandom is becoming a PPCGeeks regularwowthatisrandom is becoming a PPCGeeks regularwowthatisrandom is becoming a PPCGeeks regularwowthatisrandom is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to wowthatisrandom Send a message via MSN to wowthatisrandom Send a message via Yahoo to wowthatisrandom
no we havent... only unhide part works
Old 06-26-2007, 10:47 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

theFear13ss is a n00b
ok, maybe its just me... but after unhiding the Extended_ROM I get an error in Pocket Outlook when trying to enable the "When available, use this storage card to store attachments" option. Looking at the Storage card listed it has 9.21MB free (Sprint...) any ideas on a work around? I'm already running without any Sprint customizations and currently don't "NEED" to have the Extended_ROM... on the upside... with the app removed everything returns to normal. Must be something in the search order for storage cards within outlook. E before S...

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan