PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Titan (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   What do I need?? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=148200)

my80chevette 12-01-2011 10:24 AM

What do I need??

I have the following. A Sprint PPC6800 with rom 3.35.651.2 from 2/22/08; My computer is a Dell with Window 7. I have the Windows Mobile Device Center installed and have been able to move files to and from the ppc using the usb port. I bought the 6800 to mess with and try to use it as a small media player and to play a few games to pass time at work when things are slow. I was hoping to get the wifi and gps to work without the phone being necessary. The ppc seems to have all the hardware and most of the software I need but of course I can't access all of it. I dont really care about updating the OS or UI but would be okay if it increases the usability. So far I have looked through quite a few pages on both here and the xda site without finding just what I am looking for. I have tried several different methods of getting my "phone" to do what I want but without much success. I have tried the HTC TiTAn Sprint update rom; 3.56.651.0 , but it failed and gave the " can not update this device" error. I have installed the HTCPlus add on and Home Screen plus plus. Any help as on what to install next or ideas on a better rom to install to meet my needs would be great!! I have a couple other PDA/Phones coming in so I am not afraid to experiment with this one and I am also willing to try other OSes if necessary. Thanks for the help guys!!

Tinkerbell 12-01-2011 10:42 AM

Re: What do I need??

Quote:

Originally Posted by my80chevette (Post 2158069)
I have the following. A Sprint PPC6800 with rom 3.35.651.2 from 2/22/08; My computer is a Dell with Window 7. I have the Windows Mobile Device Center installed and have been able to move files to and from the ppc using the usb port. I bought the 6800 to mess with and try to use it as a small media player and to play a few games to pass time at work when things are slow.

Hey my80chevette! You should be able to perform those tasks with no problems with the Shipped Rom.
Quote:

I was hoping to get the wifi and gps to work without the phone being necessary.
Those features should be functioning already.
Quote:

The ppc seems to have all the hardware and most of the software I need but of course I can't access all of it.
What are you trying to access?

my80chevette 12-01-2011 08:04 PM

Everytime I try to use the Wifi or access the Gps the phone attempt to dial Sprint. If I stop that the phone notifies me that there is no data session and wont open any web pages. The GPS also activates a call to sprint and wont function either. Maybe I am doing something wrong but I dont know what else to do. Any help would be great!!

fixxxer2012 12-01-2011 08:07 PM

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.7; en-us; Incredible 2 Build/GRI40; CyanogenMod-7) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

The phone sounds defective to me. I doubt sprint would even service it. Might be time to consider a newer phone.

Tinkerbell 12-01-2011 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by my80chevette (Post 2158139)
Everytime I try to use the Wifi or access the Gps the phone attempt to dial Sprint. If I stop that the phone notifies me that there is no data session and wont open any web pages. The GPS also activates a call to sprint and wont function either. Maybe I am doing something wrong but I dont know what else to do. Any help would be great!!

I see. Open your COM Manager and turn off data and turn on WiFi. Now what do you get?

my80chevette 12-03-2011 10:05 AM

Okay I believe that the antenna that is used for the wifi and gps is not working. I tried 3 different areas that have free wifi and my home wifi and none were picked up by the phone. I think I am going to tear down the phone and check out any defects I can find. Working or not I will still have fun messing with it. I will report back what I find!!

Tinkerbell 12-03-2011 10:45 AM

Sorry you are still having problems there. Before you go tearing into your device, did you make sure the hard WiFi switch is ON?

my80chevette 12-03-2011 03:04 PM

Yeah I had everything switched on, Lol! I took the outside casing off and am looking for the internal antennae. Is it the strip of metal on the inside of the backside case or deeper in?? I also noticed what looks like and external antennae jack up my the speaker.

my80chevette 12-03-2011 03:06 PM

Funny thing... while I was writing the previous post the Wifi came on and worked for about 10 minutes. It is now not working again but seem as if I have a ground or bad chip issue. Darn!!

Tinkerbell 12-03-2011 10:01 PM

Humm... Well, that is a bummer. I guess it has been a learning process. Let us know if you get it figured out there!