PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2007, 12:12 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

sandiegodude is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Why can't we dedicate more storage memory to program memory?

I have a ton of on board storage memory on my ppc and only about 23MB of program memory. if we really have all that internal memroy on board, why can't we allocate more storage memory to the RAM?

Am I missing something here or is there a virtual partition on the chip that separates the two? If there are two separate chips, one for ram and one for rom, then of course we are stuck with what we get- but on the otherhand, if they're both located in the same chip then i think there's a chance for partition manipulation.

i think i'm rambling.

Last edited by sandiegodude; 12-29-2007 at 12:21 AM.
Old 12-29-2007, 12:31 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro & Blackberry 8330
Carrier: Sprint SERO

steps is just getting started
Send a message via Yahoo to steps
I believe the Ram and storage memory (Rom) are on 2 different chips. If there were away to use Rom as Ram I think it would lag the ppc since it was designed to be used that way....
Old 12-29-2007, 01:28 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

akijikan is keeping up the good workakijikan is keeping up the good workakijikan is keeping up the good work
wut steps said.
Old 12-29-2007, 01:30 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch Pro, and Sprint Touch Diamond, iPhone 3G (white) also ha
Carrier: Sprint PCS, AT&T(Ugh)

Mastanthony89 is keeping up the good workMastanthony89 is keeping up the good workMastanthony89 is keeping up the good work
thats like using a Hard drive in your computer as RAM haha......basically it would be like getting a lawn mower engine and trying to run it in a 18 wheeler and see the speed it gets
Old 12-29-2007, 01:58 AM
Timeless

TurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to TurboFool Send a message via MSN to TurboFool Send a message via Yahoo to TurboFool
RAM and flash memory are completely different things. One is high-speed, but loses all information when it loses power, and one is drastically slower but can retain information even when the power is cut. The Mogul would slow to a crawl if it were to use the flash memory as RAM.
Old 12-29-2007, 02:00 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Treo 700wx/Mogul/TouchPro/TouchPro2/EVO rooted

itsall_cooool is keeping up the good workitsall_cooool is keeping up the good work
The concern over RAM in these forums is really quite amusing ... unless you are getting alerts from the operating system regarding low memory, you probably needn't worry. If your system is slow, it's more likely due to too many open programs, or programs that are poorly written that fail to remove themselves properly on shutdown.

You'd be best served by closing inactive programs and/or performing a simple soft reset after intensive use to clean everything up.

Until PPC's see GHz speeds we will suffer slowdowns just as the desktp industry did.
Old 12-29-2007, 02:30 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

digiblur is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardigiblur is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardigiblur is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardigiblur is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
I run all kinds of crazy stuff at one time and never have any memory errors. I don't worry about it.
Old 12-29-2007, 02:57 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Threadstarter

sandiegodude is just getting started
The reason why i want more ram is youtube shuts down automatically after about 5 min, and i can't take pictures while using gps and streaming sirius while downloading a file.

go figure

believe it or not, i do too much while driving... seriously.
Old 12-29-2007, 10:55 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: touch pro 2

leedawg is just getting started
My Dell Axim had a slider in its memory page in wm2003 that would let you move it back and fourth and it would show how much memory you were allocating to the RAM side and how much for storage the slide was just an inverse proportion of the two..

So not sure how that worked but makes sense what has been said on here about one being ram and the other being storage memory. Im surprised they made the storage memory so much larger on this thing but dident do anything to the amount of ram it has. The axim also had sites on the internet where you could send it in to have it upgraded and you would get it back with more memory.
Old 12-29-2007, 12:37 PM
Timeless

TurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to TurboFool Send a message via MSN to TurboFool Send a message via Yahoo to TurboFool
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsall_cooool View Post
The concern over RAM in these forums is really quite amusing ... unless you are getting alerts from the operating system regarding low memory, you probably needn't worry. If your system is slow, it's more likely due to too many open programs, or programs that are poorly written that fail to remove themselves properly on shutdown.
So am I one of the only ones who HAS seen multiple out-of-memory errors? Seems like every time I open the camera it tells me it can't run due to lack of available memory. And sometimes I get the official one where nothing will run until I clear up some memory or soft-reset. So you can tell us all you like that we're "amusing" for complaining about memory, but it's a real, genuine issue, and the fact that the manufacturers are now putting 128MB of RAM in the models since ours that support WM6 shows it's a known issue. Stop patronizing us and just accept that some of us have more problems than you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leedawg View Post
My Dell Axim had a slider in its memory page in wm2003 that would let you move it back and fourth and it would show how much memory you were allocating to the RAM side and how much for storage the slide was just an inverse proportion of the two..
The Axims (I had an X5) were Windows Mobile 2002/2003 devices, and the standards for those didn't require flash memory. Those systems contained ONLY RAM and no flash. They had a CR2032 button cell battery in the back as a backup in case your main battery ran out to prevent you from losing power to the RAM. But the 64MB that was built in was one unified source of RAM that was used for storage and system memory, and you could adjust it as needed. It's just amazing to realize that a SHARED 64MB used to be enough, while with Windows Mobile 6 64MB dedicated to system memory barely gets us by.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan