PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2007, 01:02 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: DROID
Carrier: EVIL V

EDGE23 is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via MSN to EDGE23
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboFool View Post
So am I one of the only ones who HAS seen multiple out-of-memory errors? Seems like every time I open the camera it tells me it can't run due to lack of available memory. And sometimes I get the official one where nothing will run until I clear up some memory or soft-reset. So you can tell us all you like that we're "amusing" for complaining about memory, but it's a real, genuine issue, and the fact that the manufacturers are now putting 128MB of RAM in the models since ours that support WM6 shows it's a known issue. Stop patronizing us and just accept that some of us have more problems than you.
definitely not, even though I bought the mogul for wm6 only, I had to flash a wm5 rom just so I don't have memory issues. I know the touch is an option but not everybody likes it.
samsung 680, a700, 920, legendary 9k, a900, 6700, treo 700wx, 6800, 6700, 6800(collecting dust), as of 01/09/08 htc touch, and 5/24/08 finally the blackberry curve, 10/15/08 touch pro, 4/30/09 boring blackberry curve again.
12/04/09 DROID.
WM, HTC, and BB can go to hell now.
Old 12-29-2007, 01:09 PM
morsus mihi
Pocket PC: iPhone 4
Carrier: AT&T

schettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Just to add a little perspective, looking at the apple touch/iphone

128mb RAM
On boot, darwin locks down 16MB ram for itself, leaving 112mb for everything else... then the OS loads up.... eating roughly 88-94mb ram to get to the pretty springboard (icons, aka "today") screen. Like WM, iMacOSX (or whatever you call it) apps don't actually close, generally, when you go home. Apps like safari (web) eat that last 22MB like candy.

So yeah, WM5/6 is a hog. But there are other hogs out there. It does make sense to just give up on the wimpy 64mb ram though - it's 2007, we have terabyte drives selling for $120 and a 4gb stick of ram is $100, for heaven's sake!
Old 12-29-2007, 03:09 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: XV6700
Carrier: Verizon

TMB_XV6700 is just getting started
Only because nobody's pointed it out already, RAM (besides being fast) consumes power all the time whether it's in use or not, and that affects battery life. The Windows Mobile Team blogged that they believed (at the time, for WM5 anyway) that 64MB was the optimum RAM/battery life tradeoff point for the foreseeable future. Unfortunately I can't find that link, but here's another one that addresses the crux of the OP:
http://blogs.msdn.com/windowsmobile/...14/438991.aspx

Overall it seems to me this thread should be dead by now - the OP's question has been answered. I apologize for extending it (especially since I'm not a Titan owner).
Old 12-29-2007, 05:46 PM
Retired Moderator
Pocket PC: NULL
Carrier: NULL

[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level
Also, RAM is volatile.... You would need scripts and settings and whatnot if you want to have volatile solid state memory... It would be slow enough to defeat the purpose.
Old 12-29-2007, 06:55 PM
morsus mihi
Pocket PC: iPhone 4
Carrier: AT&T

schettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMB_XV6700 View Post
Only because nobody's pointed it out already, RAM (besides being fast) consumes power all the time whether it's in use or not, and that affects battery life. The Windows Mobile Team blogged that they believed (at the time, for WM5 anyway) that 64MB was the optimum RAM/battery life tradeoff point for the foreseeable future. Unfortunately I can't find that link, but here's another one that addresses the crux of the OP:
http://blogs.msdn.com/windowsmobile/...14/438991.aspx
Yeah, but, again pointing at the ipod touch (and cursing softly)
battery - 800mah (yep, HALF)
cpu 400mz
screen 480x320 (yep, 2x)
ram 128mb (2x)
store 8gb (don't even get me started)
wifi, 802.11g

run time ON WIFI -> 5+ hours (vs for my 6700, er, 2.5 hours with a good tail wind)

I think the tiny, microscopic, nearly unmeasurable 1-2mah drain of another 64mb of ram is NOT the issue, nor could it POSSIBLY be the extra $2 in the bill of materials cost for the OEMs.

Honestly, I do not know what the problem is over at redmond.

Oh wait...
Quote:
I've said some stupid things and some wrong things, but not that. No one involved in computers would ever say that a certain amount of memory is enough for all time... I keep bumping into that silly quotation attributed to me that says 640K of memory is enough. There's never a citation; the quotation just floats like a rumor, repeated again and again.
- Bill Gates

Apparently the WinMobile team needs to read some more

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan