PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2007, 04:53 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: htc mogul
Carrier: sprint

jaslo1 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
ROM update with backup

Can I do a backup (with Sprite backup) and then update the ROM (and add the flash loader) and then restore my backup to get all my apps re-installed?
I have maybe 50 apps installed on my mogul!

Thanks,
--jason
Old 12-21-2007, 11:13 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G
Carrier: Sprint

eehrhard is becoming a PPCGeeks regulareehrhard is becoming a PPCGeeks regulareehrhard is becoming a PPCGeeks regulareehrhard is becoming a PPCGeeks regulareehrhard is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaslo1 View Post
Can I do a backup (with Sprite backup) and then update the ROM (and add the flash loader) and then restore my backup to get all my apps re-installed?
I have maybe 50 apps installed on my mogul!

Thanks,
--jason
Absolutely. Go into the the options and select rom upgrade in your restore options. It works beautifully.
Old 12-21-2007, 11:27 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: htc

dataman is just getting started
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by eehrhard View Post
Absolutely. Go into the the options and select rom upgrade in your restore options. It works beautifully.
Is that an option in sprite backup only?

Did anyone try SPB Backup?
Old 12-21-2007, 11:40 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: mogul

sciontc619 is a n00b
Quote:
where is the restore options i only know of clear storage and ive never put in the code becausei m afraid id loose everything
Old 12-21-2007, 11:57 AM
Almost a VIP

eehrhard is becoming a PPCGeeks regulareehrhard is becoming a PPCGeeks regulareehrhard is becoming a PPCGeeks regulareehrhard is becoming a PPCGeeks regulareehrhard is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Quote:
Originally Posted by dataman View Post
Is that an option in sprite backup only?

Did anyone try SPB Backup?
Unless something has changed you cannot do full backups with SBP Backup after your rom upgrade. This bit me once which is why i switched to Sprite.

Quote:
where is the restore options i only know of clear storage and ive never put in the code becausei m afraid id loose everything
You can do it two places. On your PC with your phone connected you open sprite mobile back up manager (which may be hidden in your tray and not actually open in a window just double click to open) which should open to the options screen. Select RESTORE from the options menu on the left now on the far right there is a box for upgrade your choices are ROM Upgrade, Device Upgrade and Safe Upgrade. If you choose ROM Upgrade there and then perform your back up everything will work great.

You can do the same thing on the device itself. Launch sprite back up and select options then restore. You have the same choices as above. once you make that change you can launch the actual restore either from your pc or your phone.
Old 12-21-2007, 01:38 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: htc

dataman is just getting started
Arrow

okay I did the upgrade using Sprite Backup 6.1

Backedup my PPC using Sprite Backup
Upgraded to 2.17 ROM
Allowed the Rom upgrade complete also the Sprint customization
Started the backup file from storage car of PPC
after the restore and restart Here is what happened:

Restore completed, I looked at the report.. couple files could not be restored.
-My contacts , Calendar & tasks were gone. (I have a backup of contacts and calendar on computer of course)
-My old txt msgs were gone
-My MMS configuration is gone I have to reinstall that
-SPB Mobile Shell software lost its setting of speed dial contacts
- Call history & Speed Dial are gone
- The theme was changed to sprint theme (changing it back was easy)
- Voice command and most of my programs are working properly so far
- The first time you try to connect to internet on your phone, the phone will update your vision session IOTA.
- Your first ActiveSync session after upgrade will take for ever and I only have like 350 contacts.
-WORSE THING IS: your ROM version will still say 2.09
but the Rom Date is Nov 18, 2007
Radio 1.47

So at this point I am not sure if the Rom update was messed up by the restore totally or is it just file version number...

I guess I will know when I try the BT
Old 12-27-2007, 01:02 PM
Almost a VIP

Thats pretty odd. Did you choose the rom upgrade in the options? What happened to you sounds like what happened to me when i first used SBP and upgraded to 2.16. It completed with errors but nothing worked right thats when i discovered you were not supposed to use sbp after rom updates as it will overwrite some files that have been upgraded. I downgraded my mogul used sbp to restore it back on 2.09 downloaded sprite and did it all over and have had no problems at all. Just make sure from the options menu and the upgrade mode you choose ROM not device. I guess you could try safe too. Mostly I just didnt want to reinstall my software. I didnt care about txts but i think they were preserved as well.
Old 12-27-2007, 01:04 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Treo Pro
Carrier: T Mobile

cykococo is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via Yahoo to cykococo
Quote:
Thats pretty odd. Did you choose the rom upgrade in the options? What happened to you sounds like what happened to me when i first used SBP and upgraded to 2.16. It completed with errors but nothing worked right thats when i discovered you were not supposed to use sbp after rom updates as it will overwrite some files that have been upgraded. I downgraded my mogul used sbp to restore it back on 2.09 downloaded sprite and did it all over and have had no problems at all. Just make sure from the options menu and the upgrade mode you choose ROM not device. I guess you could try safe too. Mostly I just didnt want to reinstall my software. I didnt care about txts but i think they were preserved as well.
You must also select restore databases when you restore your phone after flashing....
I have flashed numerous Roms on Mogul and Touch and never had any issues....

Old 12-27-2007, 05:04 PM
Deep Thinker
Pocket PC: Tin Can
Carrier: Atomic Vibration

gguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Using a backup app to restore the registry after upgrading your ROM will not work reliably. No backup program will ever resolve this issue, as it is a technical impossibility. The best you can hope for is a partial restore that only restores apps that make trivial registry changes.

When you upgrade your ROM, do the smart thing - reinstall your apps.

Last edited by gguruusa; 12-27-2007 at 05:09 PM.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan