PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2007, 06:18 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Mogul
Carrier: Sprint

supark is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Fed up - am exchanging mogul for touch

After a couple weeks with the mogul I've decided to exchange it for a touch. I'm going to miss the hard KB on the mogul but the common issues with the mogul just have been bugging me too much. I'm not willing to wait another month with the thing for a new ROM that may or may not solve some of the issues. My main problems have been the following:

1) stability - whether it be lack of enough RAM or the deficiencies of the ROM, I found myself soft-resetting the mogul at least 5-6 times a day with the 2.09 ROM. This is with fairly non-intensive use, with conscientious closing of apps when I wasnt using them. I'd have random freezing with only 2 or 3 apps running. With the 2.17 ROM it's almost unbearable - the thing freezes up a least 30% more and it's noticeably slower.

2) bluetooth - I mean come on, how come they can figure it out with teh touch and the tilt but the mogul has so many issues? I have a decent handsfree kit installed in my car and which I've had absolutely no issues using with my old Samsung A900 or Moto Q9c. With the mogul however it's pretty much unusable - I've tried it on several occasions and I either get very low volume on my end if I can even hear anything and the person on the other end will get a ton of signal noise. I didn't think it would bug me this much - but I drive a stickshift and I'm coming to realize how much I really do use my handsfree kit.

3) build quality/form factor - less of a big deal but I'm used to small/light phones so the brickishness of the mogul bugs me a little - if it was a quarter of an inch thinner it'd be absolutely perfect size wise. Also the rear cover is so flimsy and cheap feeling - the entire phone just feels cheap. The screen has already developed a bit of play after only a couple weeks of use. Considering my usage habits I don't think this thing isgoing to live long with me.

So yeah I'll see how I like the touch and go from there... I was using my buddy's iphone the other day though and was reminded again of how large the screen is and how awesome the GUI is. The lack of any real hard keys bugs the crap out of me though - there isn't even something to manually flip the screen in case the gyro doesn't read how the screen isbeing positioned quite right.

I've been dinking around with touchpal though on the mogul and I gotta say it's really pretty decent - the main pain being that the size of the keyboard makes entering data into fields difficult - especially with opera mini where it will throw out an error if you try and reorient and resize the screen miduse.
Old 12-26-2007, 07:55 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: TardoPro
Carrier: Boost

yakky is a n00b
I agree with you on most of your points, especially the fact that these things are all working on the Touch. Was the mogul team put together with the "special" employees? I don't have lockup issues on 2.17 with the 1.40 radio now, but it is silly that I had to mix it up. My bluetooth is still terrible and my car kit is not usuable with this phone either. I really want to know why I can't adjust the damn gain myself? Thanks HTC for preventing me from making my phone usable.

I too have thought about the touch but I just can't deal with a soft keyboard for emails. It is ok for text but I just can't type a longer email on it. I'm waiting on more feedback on DCD's 1.67, it seems to address most things pretty well.
Old 12-26-2007, 08:15 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4G

superevilllama is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsuperevilllama is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsuperevilllama is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsuperevilllama is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
oh yay!

another thread...
Old 12-26-2007, 08:41 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: DROID
Carrier: EVIL V

EDGE23 is just getting started
Send a message via MSN to EDGE23
Quote:
Originally Posted by superevilllama View Post
another thread...
stupid htc/sprint for not fixing mogul, as long as this thing is buggy well keep seeing these threads more often. hahhhaha
samsung 680, a700, 920, legendary 9k, a900, 6700, treo 700wx, 6800, 6700, 6800(collecting dust), as of 01/09/08 htc touch, and 5/24/08 finally the blackberry curve, 10/15/08 touch pro, 4/30/09 boring blackberry curve again.
12/04/09 DROID.
WM, HTC, and BB can go to hell now.
Old 12-26-2007, 09:45 PM
Noob
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint SERO

Baffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation level
Send a message via AIM to Baffles
I would swap to a Touch, my only problems are lack of keyboard and the fact that the Touch has a slower processor. In fact, my only problem with the mogul is having to get a new one every month because the screen keeps going bad, and the low amount of memory. The first problem is remedied via warranty though.
Old 12-26-2007, 09:47 PM
A Geek For Eons
Pocket PC: Photon, Xoom
Carrier: Sprint/US, Airtel/India, Telus/Canada

willysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Yep, the Mogul in IMO is a fatally flawed device at this point. My BT quality with 2.17 is at best mediocre, and I get at least one freeze every 2 or 3 days (more if in a poor signal area).

If Sprint ever gets this fixed (and I don't believe they will), it will be too late for the Mogul.

I have both a Mogul and Touch. The Touch (with its first ROM) is far superior in BT quality and radio stability to the Mogul (4th ROM). Hard to believe they are made by the same company [or should I say "are crippled by the same carrier"?] ;=)
Old 12-26-2007, 09:47 PM
A Geek For Eons

willysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baffles View Post
I would swap to a Touch, my only problems are lack of keyboard and the fact that the Touch has a slower processor. In fact, my only problem with the mogul is having to get a new one every month because the screen keeps going bad, and the low amount of memory. The first problem is remedied via warranty though.
Same processor.
Old 12-26-2007, 09:54 PM
Noob
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint SERO

Baffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation level
Send a message via AIM to Baffles
I've never had radio stability issues on my Mogul, so I can't talk about that, but BT A2DP worked on the limited occasions I've used it.

And any specs I've found say the Touch has a 200mhz processor. The Mogul's is 400mhz. Plus the Touch has a smaller capacity battery.

Sources:
http://www.htc.com/product/03-product_htctouch.htm
http://www.america.htc.com/products/...res-specs.html
Old 12-26-2007, 10:22 PM
A Geek For Eons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baffles View Post
I've never had radio stability issues on my Mogul, so I can't talk about that, but BT A2DP worked on the limited occasions I've used it.

And any specs I've found say the Touch has a 200mhz processor. The Mogul's is 400mhz. Plus the Touch has a smaller capacity battery.

Sources:
http://www.htc.com/product/03-product_htctouch.htm
http://www.america.htc.com/products/...res-specs.html
The HTC Touch (the older GSM version) has 200mHz. The Sprint Touch (HTC Vogue, the newer CDMA version) has 400mHz, same as the Sprint Mogul (HTC Titan). The GSM Touch also has less memory than the CDMA Touch.

My Touch also lasts longer on a charge than my Mogul - likely due to the lower power consumption screen in the Touch (the price you pay is decreased off-axis quality from top or bottom).
Old 12-26-2007, 10:49 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Mogul

otacon72 is a n00b
Tried a Touch and didn't like it... I have big hands and a full touch screen doesn't work for me at all... I need to have some hard keys and the keyboard on the Mogul is perfect for my hands. I just got my Mogul this past week and right out of the box I upgraded to the new ROM. I have not had any freezes at all... I don't hack the reg much either, battery, performance tweak is about all I do. The more you tweak the more it's going to crash....that's been my experience at least. To each his own...I like the Mogul...
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan