PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2011, 03:25 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC XV6800, XV6900, & XV6850(TP), KIN TwoM
Carrier: VZW

z0rpr1m3 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Titan (XV6800) will not charge batteries.

Other threads here or @xda forums are similar, but not exactly the problem with this device.

Overview: My son's phone (unmodified WM6.x HTC XV6800 Titan) recently new (used gingerly for about 4 months) quite suddenly will not charge batteries.

* Have tried 4 different A/C OEM HTC wall chargers & 2 different OEM HTC USB cables with PC's
* Have tried 3 different batteries

All with the same result:

With a power source connected and a battery inserted, phone operates normally. Remove power source, & phone shuts down or turns off/batteries die (as if it's basically a dead/low battery). However, while plugged in to power, the Power/Battery status indicates "charging" (but status always remains 0% and never goes up--even with partially charged batteries). When plugged in, LED light turns solid AMBER as if it is charging normally (not red, not blinking), though it's obviously not charging.

That's basically it.

We've left it charging (both ON and with phone OFF) for hours/days with no difference. I've cleaned the pins & contacts on the battery, and have looked at the pins (they all look good/undamaged).

I'm thinking of getting a cradle charger for him & he could simply rotate out batteries, but... if there's a way to fix this I'd obviously definitely prefer that.

I have not tried a full/hard reset to factory or tried it in programming mode, but I did not think I needed to do this. Even though his data's backed up, I would prefer not to do this unless it's really possibly a fix).

Is this a common issue? Seems like I had it once before (on a totally different Titan--not this one) and fixed it with a soft reset or something (can't recall what).

Many thanks.
Old 06-18-2011, 01:45 PM
Sprinkler of Pixie Dust
Pocket PC: Tin Can ^^)
Carrier: Verizon

Tinkerbell can't get a higher reputation levelTinkerbell can't get a higher reputation levelTinkerbell can't get a higher reputation levelTinkerbell can't get a higher reputation levelTinkerbell can't get a higher reputation levelTinkerbell can't get a higher reputation levelTinkerbell can't get a higher reputation levelTinkerbell can't get a higher reputation levelTinkerbell can't get a higher reputation levelTinkerbell can't get a higher reputation levelTinkerbell can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Re: Titan (XV6800) will not charge batteries.

It appears as if you have exhausted your hardware testing. You have two choices now. You can just buy the cradle and forget about it (if you go this way, I would buy an extra battery as well so that he always has a fresh one). Or you could do a hard reset to determine if you have a software issue (If you go this way, it would be a good chance to update your Rom!)

Old 06-20-2011, 10:18 AM
Lurker
Threadstarter

z0rpr1m3 is a n00b

Thanks for your reply!

Ordered a cradle/battery charger (I already have 3 batteries). If it works, I may get the extended battery to counter for any long periods of usage if this never resolves itself.

I may also go ahead & throw in a new ROM. Been wanting to see if I can shim TouchFlo onto his device for a while anyway. Maybe now's the time to give it some attention. I'll definitely check what's cooking here if I go that route.
Old 06-20-2011, 03:26 PM
Sprinkler of Pixie Dust

Tinkerbell can't get a higher reputation levelTinkerbell can't get a higher reputation levelTinkerbell can't get a higher reputation levelTinkerbell can't get a higher reputation levelTinkerbell can't get a higher reputation levelTinkerbell can't get a higher reputation levelTinkerbell can't get a higher reputation levelTinkerbell can't get a higher reputation levelTinkerbell can't get a higher reputation levelTinkerbell can't get a higher reputation levelTinkerbell can't get a higher reputation level

You are welcome!! Let us know how it works out for you!
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 06-27-2011, 02:50 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

z0rpr1m3 is a n00b

*Update*

Charger/cradle came today. Apparently, the 6800 is in fact charging the batteries.

Basically, I set one battery in the cradle charger slot (amber light at first then green light after 3 hours), and put another battery in the 6800 and threw it on the cradle. The 6800 behaved the same (amber light to indicate charging).

After charging, I placed the now charged battery in the 6800 and booted up. While the battery is booting the device, it is somehow reporting that it is low (actually 0% charged) to the OS, so the phone gives the low battery chirp of death and turns off gracefully after a few seconds.

However, when swapping the batteries (the one that was dead, but was "charging" in the phone while in the charger), the charge slot immediately indicates fully charged (green light). So the phone WAS charging the batteries all along.

I guess the phone is simply no longer detecting the proper state of the batteries (sees them all as 0% charged).

Again, contacts look good (not bent, clean, but re-cleaned anyway)...

So possibly this is software.

Next step, new ROM.
Old 06-27-2011, 03:34 PM
Sprinkler of Pixie Dust

Humm... interesting phenomena you have going on there. I guess it is time for a new Rom... sorry for your troubles!
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 06-30-2011, 08:52 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Treo Pro
Carrier: Telus

MrSnow is a n00b
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I had the same phone from Telus with a similar problem. Batteries would charge but ended up with very short life. Replaced the batteries twice, each time they would then function properly but talk life would get progressively shorter. After about 6 months I was down to less than an hour talk time and couldn't make it through a half-day on standby. I finally just bought a new phone but would have like to stay with the P4000 if it wasn't for this issue.
Old 08-08-2011, 06:43 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

z0rpr1m3 is a n00b

*update*

Hard reset does not fix this problem.

Still have not tried a new ROM, but that's the next step. Yeah, I'm dragging on with this, but I have new phones, so I'm not as motivated to fix it, but I'll keep plugging when I can.

Incidentally, it occurs to me that maybe there's a registry setting somewhere that might disable the function which automatically shuts the phone down when the battery is low. Basically, since I know these batteries are good (and charged), and that the phone is charging the battery, if I could simply disable that feature/setting, the phone would operate normally.

In other words, it's only shutting down because it *thinks* the battery is dead--though truthfully, the battery is fine.

Now, I'd have to tell my son to make sure he charges every single night, or at least often (or maybe buy the exteded battery to go with his new charger cradle). That being because the phone will literally die before it shuts down gracefully if the battery ever does actually get low enough...

Anyway, I'll update again if a ROM update or two doesn't fix it or if I find the registry (or other) setting somewhere...
Old 08-08-2011, 06:45 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

z0rpr1m3 is a n00b

@MrSnow:

I don't *think* this problem is the same, but it certainly could be.

This Mogul did not trend to hold less charge over time. All batteries were fine, as was the Mogul before the day it stopped detecting the batteries status. It was okay one day, down the next..

The problem with your old handset sounds more like a power drain somewhere--maybe similar to a car which drains a new battery really frequently/quickly (and eventually shortens the life of the battery) because of a short somewhere else. Just a guess, though.
Old 08-08-2011, 07:17 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Titan 6800 Tink Flash
Carrier: MetroPCS

ashamancurtis is a n00b

here's an odd thought. could the batteries be bad? it sounds like the phone is charging the batteries, but not fully. once the phone detects that the battery has dropped below a certain charge (in mAh), it will assume that the battery may die at any moment and shuts itself down to prevent data loss.

the problem you are describing would be either a) the batteries are at the end of their life or b) the phone is not recognizing the proper amount of charge. if the batteries were at the end of their usable life, the phone would charge them to their highest capacity and then maintain the charge. the problem with this is that if the batteries were only accepting a minimum charge, then they would appear full while actually not being charged.

the standard batteries i have laying around say they're 1500mAh batteries. if these batteries were only charging to 500mAh, then they would appear to the charging circuitry to be "full" but the system would report them as about to die.
on xda-developers, there is a link to an app that would show you the actual charge left on the battery in mAh. you might want to look into this to see if the batteries are EOL.

Lithium Ion batteries have a general cycle where they will lose approximately 20% of their capacity every year.

Definitions: mAh= milliAmphour: energy capacity of a battery
EOL= End of Life

Last edited by ashamancurtis; 08-08-2011 at 07:21 PM.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan