PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2007, 08:47 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro Sprint->Verizon
Carrier: Verizon

sudermatt is keeping up the good worksudermatt is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Charged all night...shows 50%

I remember a long time ago, you had to charge-discharge your battery a couple times to set it's "Memory". But I thought we were past that.

When I got my mogul on Friday, it was fully charged....I've taking it on and off the charger all weekend as I wander thru life. Last night I wanted to get a nice full charge before work and set it on the charger....

50% when I got up....

Have I torched the battery?
Old 12-17-2007, 01:03 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro Sprint->Verizon
Carrier: Verizon
Threadstarter

sudermatt is keeping up the good worksudermatt is keeping up the good work
Does the usb cable even charge?

It dawned on me that I only had the usb cabel attached....does that NOT charge the phone....the phone says it's being charged while it's connected via usb.

What gives?
Old 12-17-2007, 02:05 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: PPC-6800 (Sprint Mogul)
Carrier: Sprint

bakntyme is keeping up the good workbakntyme is keeping up the good work
Quote:
Originally Posted by sudermatt View Post
It dawned on me that I only had the usb cabel attached....does that NOT charge the phone....the phone says it's being charged while it's connected via usb.

What gives?
The USB cable does charge the phone, though at a slightly slower rate than the AC charger. HOWEVER, if your computer goes into hibernate, it may deactivate the USB port (my laptop does), so you may have only had the battery charging for a short period.
Old 12-17-2007, 02:05 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: PPC 6900
Carrier: SPRINT

lshap is a n00b
Check if Wi-Fi connection switch is turned on
Old 12-17-2007, 03:52 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

akijikan is keeping up the good workakijikan is keeping up the good workakijikan is keeping up the good work
Quote:
Originally Posted by lshap View Post
Check if Wi-Fi connection switch is turned on
shouldn't matter
Old 12-17-2007, 07:03 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

Synned is a n00b
I thought only certain USB ports had the ability to charge...maybe yours doesn't? Anyway...simple check..plug it into the wall for the night.
Old 12-17-2007, 07:24 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Treo Pro
Carrier: T Mobile

cykococo is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via Yahoo to cykococo
Quote:
Originally Posted by sudermatt View Post

What gives?
Actually the usb just gives enough charge for the phone to not lose power during sync or tether....
Typically what I have found is first time charge all the way and drain all the way to activate all of the battery cells and good to go...

Old 12-17-2007, 08:15 PM
Timeless
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

TurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to TurboFool Send a message via MSN to TurboFool Send a message via Yahoo to TurboFool
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synned View Post
I thought only certain USB ports had the ability to charge...maybe yours doesn't? Anyway...simple check..plug it into the wall for the night.
Nope, not true. All USB ports provide power. That said, if you're using an non-powered hub your computer may not be able to output enough power to handle all of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cykococo View Post
Actually the usb just gives enough charge for the phone to not lose power during sync or tether....
Also not true. I leave my phone plugged into my work computer and it fully charges the phone in a slightly longer period of time than it takes when plugged into the wall.

As for the OP's question, if it was an issue of memory, it wouldn't show 50%. It would show 100%, but simply last half as long. Now every time I unplug my phone I can sit and watch it for as long as 30 seconds sometimes before the battery meter refreshes to its current full state. I assume you rechecked it later and it was still at only 50%? If so there may be something physically wrong with the phone (more than the battery), or as someone pointed out, the computer may shut off power to the USB ports in hibernate.

Last edited by TurboFool; 12-17-2007 at 08:22 PM.
Old 12-17-2007, 11:40 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Sprint Mogul

Intermountain Trust is starting in the wrong direction
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboFool View Post
Nope, not true. All USB ports provide power. That said, if you're using an non-powered hub your computer may not be able to output enough power to handle all of them.

Also not true. I leave my phone plugged into my work computer and it fully charges the phone in a slightly longer period of time than it takes when plugged into the wall.

As for the OP's question, if it was an issue of memory, it wouldn't show 50%. It would show 100%, but simply last half as long. Now every time I unplug my phone I can sit and watch it for as long as 30 seconds sometimes before the battery meter refreshes to its current full state. I assume you rechecked it later and it was still at only 50%? If so there may be something physically wrong with the phone (more than the battery), or as someone pointed out, the computer may shut off power to the USB ports in hibernate.
did not have time to get to this question last night but i see Turbo has most of it answered. i just have a couple of comments to add. As for the hibernate my laptop does in fact turn off power to my usb devices including my phone check this on yours, it may take a couple of minutes to show up depending on your settings. you will see this using the "Two Mini USB Adapter" that your phone came with. If you so not know what this is look on page 11 in your "Getting Started Guide" it is item #5. The orange LED on this will turn off when you loose power to your USB, this is of course assuming your USB has power and is not broke. In that case you can use the above item #5 to see if you have power period. if you feel you need to check the LED on the Adapter plug it into your wall charger. If your puter is not going into hibernate and you in fact have power you may have several apps running or one or two power hungry ones. if this is the case your PPC will take much longer to get to a full charge, on mine it takes about 4 hrs to gain a 50% charge while i am using it as phone as modem and my Blue Tooth is running (i.e. if i am at 25% i will end up at 75%) get X-button or some other app closer to make sure you have everything closed that you can if you want to speed this up. I hope this has helped, IT can someone tell me why i cannot create a paragraph or use the cool guys on the right? it just stopped working!!!

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan