PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2007, 08:43 PM
afx
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro (Sprint)
Carrier: Sprint

afx is keeping up the good workafx is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Post Is there anything I cant do with WM5?

Im thinking of downgrading to wm5 since sprint has actually said this is a wm5 device, however I have a question or 10.

Will I be able to use the GPS when the new rom comes out?
Howbout rev a?
will GMAIL work with no native java?
Any other downsides?
Old 12-10-2007, 09:16 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

akijikan is keeping up the good workakijikan is keeping up the good workakijikan is keeping up the good work
Quote:
Originally Posted by afx View Post
since sprint has actually said this is a wm5 device
I missed that...have a link?

Quote:
Originally Posted by afx View Post
Will I be able to use the GPS when the new rom comes out?
Howbout rev a?
will GMAIL work with no native java?
Any other downsides?
The new rom will be WM6 of course (possibly 6.1) so it will depend on if the software can be extracted and run on the aku of wm5 you're running. Same deal with the Rev. A. You can setup gmail through pop3 or imap on pocket outlook or you can install a java engine on windows mobile 5.
Old 12-10-2007, 11:33 PM
afx
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro (Sprint)
Threadstarter

afx is keeping up the good workafx is keeping up the good work
Quote:
Originally Posted by akijikan View Post
I missed that...have a link?

The new rom will be WM6 of course (possibly 6.1) so it will depend on if the software can be extracted and run on the aku of wm5 you're running. Same deal with the Rev. A. You can setup gmail through pop3 or imap on pocket outlook or you can install a java engine on windows mobile 5.
On the BAW FAQ posted a few days ago when someone asked about the memory.

"The amount of standard memory on the Mogul was consistent with standard memory allocations for devices at the time it was developed. However, the development timeline was extended when the OS was changed from Windows Mobile 5.0 to Windows Mobile 6 and during that time memory standards increased. We understand the demand for additional memory and have started to increase the amount of RAM in newer devices. The Touch by HTC was recently launched and includes 128MB RAM and 256MB ROM. "

http://forums.buzzaboutwireless.com/...thread.id=2550
Old 12-10-2007, 11:59 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: w
Carrier: f

jph8tr is a n00b
Before you "downgrade", have you tried 2.17? I used Sampsons WM5 ROM for a while and it worked well. As mentioned, Gmail worked fine using POP or imap. OTH, I flashed 2.17 last week and it's working fine too. I may have a couple of megs less of free RAM, but not enough to make a huge difference to me. The "leak" problems I experienced with 2.09 are for the most part gone, I hold steady at ~17mb free with all apps closed. I do notice a bit better battery life with WM6. With Sampsons ROM you loose internet sharing and will have to install things like Pocket Office yourself if you have need. I bitched about the memory leak and about the lack of RAM as much as anybody...I was for the most part WRONG!
Old 12-11-2007, 12:25 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: sprint

gobmonster is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargobmonster is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargobmonster is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Quote:
Originally Posted by jph8tr View Post
Before you "downgrade", have you tried 2.17? I used Sampsons WM5 ROM for a while and it worked well. As mentioned, Gmail worked fine using POP or imap. OTH, I flashed 2.17 last week and it's working fine too. I may have a couple of megs less of free RAM, but not enough to make a huge difference to me. The "leak" problems I experienced with 2.09 are for the most part gone, I hold steady at ~17mb free with all apps closed. I do notice a bit better battery life with WM6. With Sampsons ROM you loose internet sharing and will have to install things like Pocket Office yourself if you have need. I bitched about the memory leak and about the lack of RAM as much as anybody...I was for the most part WRONG!
im using sampsons wm5 right now, would you recommend 2.17? i miss my precious internet sharing, but i dont miss reseting my phone everyday because rams running low (25mbs @ idle on wm5)
Old 12-11-2007, 01:19 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Titan

hay112 is a n00b
Ok, this is an easy one....

speed, speed, speed

I'm pretty bias when it comes to this, i absolutely love wm5 on this device, it completely changes the device to me. And there's almost nothing in wm6 that i can't do in wm5...

to afx: we are unsure at this time if we'll be able to extract the future rom enhancements of gps and rev a from the future sprint rom but there's definitely a chance, especially when it comes to the determination of the guys on this forum. If you want Java its a pretty easy install, just do a search for Jbed..

to gobmonster: i too used Sampsons rom in the beginning and almost was turned away by the lack of internet sharing and office mobile but i really didn't want to lose the speed of wm5. Come to find out that the Alltel WM5 rom and the TNZ WM5 rom both have internet sharing and office mobile out the gate. Give them a try...

Here are some of the things that i don't like or haven't been able to fix in wm5:

* HTML Email
* HTC album doesn't work with wm5
* When receiving MMS, i haven't been able to tweak the PIE user agent to display
the large picture instead of the little thumbnail version that you see on the
desktop version of sprintpcs picture mail site

but besides that i absolutely love it, if it wasn't for wm5 i would have switched to the Touch. I'm personally running the TNZ rom with the 1.47.01 radio

Here's a list of the apps i'm currently running

arcsoft ppcgeeks mms
codyppc performance booster
pocket cm keyboard
sprint tv
random access (touch contacts)
led killer
google maps
gb-soft tweak
wm6_threaded sms
tcpmp w/ flash bundle
total commander
spb backup
cloudfya jbed (java)
touch dialer
htc home
magic button

cliffs: wm5 > dog shit > wm6
Old 12-11-2007, 01:25 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

leetsauce is just getting started
I am a die-hard WM5 fan. When 2.17 came out, I decided to give it a spin, and it truly is a lot faster, but definitely not up to WM5 speed. So far I haven't found any reason to reflash back to WM5. I think if you're coming from 2.16 or below, you will want to give 2.17 a try along with WM5. Both are great, but since 2.17 fixes so many of the memory leak issues, WM5's speed benefits now seem marginal compared to what 2.17 offers.
Old 12-11-2007, 08:12 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: w
Carrier: f

jph8tr is a n00b
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobmonster View Post
im using sampsons wm5 right now, would you recommend 2.17? i miss my precious internet sharing, but i dont miss reseting my phone everyday because rams running low (25mbs @ idle on wm5)
The ram difference for me is ~2-3mb (17-18mb 2.17 vs 20-21mb WM5). Except for on a virgin install, I've never seen 25mb free on my Mogul! All I can say is I was happy with Sampsons and expected to go back after playing with 2.17 but found that I didn't need to.
Old 12-11-2007, 11:50 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Titan

hay112 is a n00b
Quote:
Originally Posted by jph8tr View Post
The ram difference for me is ~2-3mb (17-18mb 2.17 vs 20-21mb WM5). Except for on a virgin install, I've never seen 25mb free on my Mogul! All I can say is I was happy with Sampsons and expected to go back after playing with 2.17 but found that I didn't need to.
To me its not even about the difference of 2 to 3 mb of available memory, even if they're operating with the same amount of free memory WM5 is just plain quicker. I tried 2.17 for 3 days and although it is much better than any previous wm6 rom i had tried on the mogul it still did not compare in speed.
Old 12-11-2007, 09:52 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: PPC 6700 WM6

livewirevoodoo is a n00b
I feel compelled to chime in here.

Yesterday I performed the "downgrade" to wm5 after trying every stock and custom flavor of wm6 available for the 6800.

I <3 wm5 on this device. Glossy taskbar aside, the difference is minimal, but there is a **huge** increase in speed.

I have a ton of software installed, my today screen full of plugins, and still have 24mb free memory (49%)... WM6 would hover at 67% utilization, and then drag to a crawl when I tried to listen to music with HTC audio manager and browse the web.

+1 for wm5, and tip of the hat to sampson.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan