PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2007, 09:09 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

shapiror06 is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to shapiror06
XV6800 memory management sucks!!

Just like I said, the 6800 memory management sucks. It may just be WM6, because I changed the Samsung i760 out for the XV6800 on Friday because it's better (in more ways than one, this is not the thread for that though...) and the Samsung had the same problem. Sometimes I cannot even open the digital camera because it gives me a warning and tells me to close some other apps and free up some RAM before running the camera. So, I just need to know if there are some setting I can change to make the device mange the RAM a little better. Sometimes I open the "Running Programs" app to see whats in the memory and theres a list a mile long. I don't like the fact that when you press the "x" on the screen it doesn't actually close the program. I would much rather have an "_" to minimize to the background and an "x" to close the program. This may be asking a lot and making the device act more like a computer but after all, it is a mini computer. I can remember PCs I've had with less hardware than this unit lol. Anyways, how about third party software (preferably free) that manage programs that are in use and clears the memory if a program is not actively in use? Anything would be great to help free up some RAM and speed this little devil up!

Btw, any updates on OCing the XV6800, Mogul, Titan... whatever you want to call it.
Old 12-09-2007, 01:02 AM
*SCREEEEEECH*
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2
Carrier: Sprint

EtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuff
I use HTC X-Button for this: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=283658

You install it, then configure it under settings and you can set it up so clicking on x closes the app or holding x closes the app.

And no, there's no way to fix the memory management. Nobody has cracked the key to overclocking the processor either. The dual-core architecture is too new at this point.
Old 12-09-2007, 11:34 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: w
Carrier: f

jph8tr is a n00b
As mentioned, there are a several free/cheap apps that will close programs and you will need one. I use WKtask. The biggest problem is that WM6 really needs more than 64mb, the 128mb Sprint Touch and at&t Tilt prove that. I've used the Alltel WM5 ROM with success, but I don't know if it will work with the xv6800. IThe latest 2.17 Sprint ROM seems to be a bit better with memory management than 2.09 which is what the xv6800 ships with. I've been running 2.17 for a few days and I don't think I'll be going back to WM5. You may have to wait for Verizon to release a new ROM or for someone here to make a custom Verizon compatible 2.17 based ROM.
Old 12-09-2007, 12:33 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: VX 6800
Carrier: Verizon

TheCodeBenders is a n00b
The one I picked up the other day from VZW has 2.17 running on it.
Old 12-09-2007, 12:33 PM
Bringer of Good Things
Pocket PC: HTC TITAN
Carrier: AT&T

GoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
In addition to the HTC task manager, the first things I do on my phone are delete HTC_CM_Guardian from the \Windows\Startup folder and update Windows Live. This greatly reduces the memory leaking on the Mogul, in my experience.
Old 12-09-2007, 01:24 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2
Carrier: Verizon Wireless
Threadstarter

shapiror06 is just getting started
Send a message via AIM to shapiror06
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCodeBenders View Post
The one I picked up the other day from VZW has 2.17 running on it.
i just picked mine up on friday when they were released in the stores and mine has 2.09. are you sure yours has 2.17?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodThings2Life View Post
In addition to the HTC task manager, the first things I do on my phone are delete HTC_CM_Guardian from the \Windows\Startup folder and update Windows Live. This greatly reduces the memory leaking on the Mogul, in my experience.

i deleted the HTC_CM_Guardian from the startup folder and also looked into the apps and reg hacks you have posted and you have a lot of good info in there. kudos! one question though, the VZW version of the 6800 doesnt have windows live installed on it out of the box, so should i even need to update it?
Old 12-09-2007, 01:45 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: lg optimus

dishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Quote:
Originally Posted by shapiror06 View Post
i just picked mine up on friday when they were released in the stores and mine has 2.09. are you sure yours has 2.17?
I think he meant to say he unlocked and installed 2.17 on it. Poor choice of wording, it implies that it CAME with it...

Anyway, you should all consider Qmenu as a task manager/mem manager. I recently started using it, and its the best option so far as far as ease of use / memory footprint. It also has a hibernate function built in (which clears memory eaten up by program caches). Search on XDA for it, I can't remember where I found it. It might be on the PPCgeeks ftp somewhere too.
Old 12-09-2007, 01:49 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC EVO

thecalip is just getting started
Just flash with Wm5 and it will fix the memory problem. I can leave the phone on days, and it stills have 20 to 25 megs. With Wm6, leaving it on for like 8 to 12 hours, even at idle, it will drop from 25 to 7 megs. And with with tools like sktools and memmaid won't help.
Old 12-09-2007, 01:49 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy
Carrier: AT&T

rsohne is just getting started
Quote:
Originally Posted by shapiror06 View Post

i deleted the HTC_CM_Guardian from the startup folder and also looked into the apps and reg hacks you have posted and you have a lot of good info in there. kudos! one question though, the VZW version of the 6800 doesnt have windows live installed on it out of the box, so should i even need to update it?
I did the same on my xv6800. i had it one day after trading in the 760. Performance was just awful. The strange thing after I did the hard reset was that the file was not in the startup folder.
Old 12-09-2007, 01:54 PM
TC1
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Titan

TC1 is a n00b
Quote:
Originally Posted by dishe View Post

Anyway, you should all consider Qmenu as a task manager/mem manager. I recently started using it, and its the best option so far as far as ease of use / memory footprint. It also has a hibernate function built in (which clears memory eaten up by program caches).
Dishe, have you tried the HTC Task Manager? It seems to have similar features (without the cascading menus). I'll try out Qmenu, just wondering if you had an opinion on both.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan