PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2007, 05:24 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: w
Carrier: f

jph8tr is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
2.17 memory management NOT LEAK

I finally bit the bullet and flashed to 2.17. I had low mem issues with previous WM6 ROM's and had been using a WM5 ROM instead. Initially, I had some memory issues but was able to eliminate a few programs and my RAM stabilized at ~18mb free(good) with AEbutton, WKTask and Phone Alarm loaded. There are definite improvements in bt , so I really want this ROM to work for me. Then I went to work this morning and used the device. I use Coreplayer to play podcasts (TWIT, BOL,etc) and I also want to be able to occasionally surf w/Opera or play a game at the same time. Previous WM6 ROMS would inevitably quit the audio player. With 2.17 the issue is a little worse even though it seems that I have more available RAM. The audio player (Coreplayer or HTC) will sometimes quit without me doing anything else on the phone. The curious thing is that I have as much as 15mb RAM free when the program quits. With WM5 I've seen the mem go down to 3-4mb (3-5 programs running at once) before programs start quiting. So the way I see it-

1- There"s something wrong with my installation. I should hard reset and spend hours reinstalling everything step by step.

2- 2.17 has uber aggressive mem management. Live with it or go back to WM5.

3- 2.17 mis reports the amount of mem available. The low memory issues of previous ROMS are still there.

Anyone here using their Mogul in a similar fashion with different results? I'm trying to avoid wasting my time installing and testing each program separately only to find it's just an unavoidable 64mb+WM6 issue.
Old 12-06-2007, 05:36 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: htc evo baby
Carrier: sprint

ricchini2007 is becoming a great contributor
i think sprints mogul has memory issues internal
Old 12-06-2007, 06:57 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch Diamond
Carrier: Sprint

rycelover is just getting started
I had a similar experience after upgrading to 2.17 being unable to surf using opera and using HTC's audio manager or WMP and running activesync in the background. available RAM would hover around 6-7 before running opera or WMP [depending on which was already running]. After running either media player or Opera, the unit would freeze. Finally, I gave up and did a hard reset, installed quickmenu [now i religiously run hibernate and reclaim lost ram] and removed media players and use TCPMP exclusively and have had no lockups while surfing with opera. the results have been like night and day - with the unit having about 6mb in the tank with all the programs running.
Old 12-07-2007, 01:36 AM
*SCREEEEEECH*
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2

EtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuff
SO glad I don't have to deal with this anymore.

My phone always has >40MB free
Old 12-07-2007, 01:50 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Galaxy S2 Skyrocket!!
Carrier: AT&T

hotbyz168 is becoming a great contributor
I can say i really don't have any memory issues... i have the htc home plugin w color buttons, quickmenu,mms,sprint tv, sprint mobile email,live search,pocket rar, total commander. I let all these programs run at same time...plus windows media, all the mobile office apps,outlook,and a few more small apps and i still had about 5-6mb free...i let it run like this for about 5 min. I than ended all apps and went right back up to around 20mb free. I wonder if certain moguls have different hardware than some others that are more faulty
Old 12-07-2007, 02:08 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: sprint

gobmonster is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargobmonster is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargobmonster is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Quote:
Originally Posted by EtherealRemnant View Post
SO glad I don't have to deal with this anymore.

My phone always has >40MB free
Good for you, but why gloat in the mogul forum?

I really want this issue to go away, wm5 is really nice, but it lacks some very simple features. I know that there is no real memory leak, but the memory management is insane on six.

Would anyone recommend a stable wm5 upgrade to wm6 2.17? Would it be worth it?
Old 12-07-2007, 02:38 AM
*SCREEEEEECH*
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2

EtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuff
I haven't installed 2.17 on my Mogul yet (haven't decided if I'm going to bother) but I was using Alltel's WM5 and found it much more stable than either Sprint ROM. Something like 28MB free on soft reset, 27MB after closing all programs. Not a single freeze or anything.
Old 12-07-2007, 03:44 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

leetsauce is just getting started
Quote:
Originally Posted by EtherealRemnant View Post
I haven't installed 2.17 on my Mogul yet (haven't decided if I'm going to bother) but I was using Alltel's WM5 and found it much more stable than either Sprint ROM. Something like 28MB free on soft reset, 27MB after closing all programs. Not a single freeze or anything.
Coming from sampson's clean WM5 build, I've found the new 2.17 ROM to be a HUGE improvement over the previous ROMs. It's still not as fast as WM5, but it is very close. Give it a shot, I guarantee you won't regret it.
Old 12-07-2007, 08:40 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: w
Carrier: f
Threadstarter

jph8tr is a n00b
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotbyz168 View Post
I can say i really don't have any memory issues... i have the htc home plugin w color buttons, quickmenu,mms,sprint tv, sprint mobile email,live search,pocket rar, total commander. I let all these programs run at same time...plus windows media, all the mobile office apps,outlook,and a few more small apps and i still had about 5-6mb free...i let it run like this for about 5 min. I than ended all apps and went right back up to around 20mb free. I wonder if certain moguls have different hardware than some others that are more faulty
Thanks for the reply! I guess I'll be doing a hard reset and re-install this afternoon. Sampsons WM5 has worked well for me but I really want WM6 to work, especially with REVA and GPS (crosses fingers) around the corner.
Old 12-07-2007, 11:55 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Titan

hay112 is a n00b
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobmonster View Post
Good for you, but why gloat in the mogul forum?

I really want this issue to go away, wm5 is really nice, but it lacks some very simple features. I know that there is no real memory leak, but the memory management is insane on six.

Would anyone recommend a stable wm5 upgrade to wm6 2.17? Would it be worth it?
been running wm5 for about 2 months now, i installed teh 2.17 last week and tried it for a few days and although it was better than the other wm6 roms its no comparison to the speed of wm5. I personally have had really good luck with the TNZ wm5 rom, i prefer it over the sampson rom because it includes windows mobile office and internet sharing....

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan