PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2007, 04:00 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Rhodium W (Sprint Touch Pro 2 CDMA)
Carrier: Sprint - SERO

mstevens is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmstevens is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmstevens is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Can't make WiFi stay off

I like WiFi and use it at home frequently since there is no cellular service there. However, when I don't need it I prefer to turn it off to prolong battery life. I also see no point in having the phone wake up and ask if I want to join a wireless network just because I'm driving past a house with an access point.

The problem is that I can't get WiFi to stay off. I can (apparently) turn it off using the switch, but it will turn itself back on. Flipping the switch on then back off turns it off temporarily, but not permanently. Sometimes it takes hours before it turns back on, sometimes less than a minute but eventually it will happen.

I don't want to disable WiFi permanently. I just want the switch to work. Any thoughts about this?
Old 12-05-2007, 04:30 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G
Carrier: Sprint

shellguy is becoming a PPCGeeks regularshellguy is becoming a PPCGeeks regularshellguy is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to shellguy Send a message via MSN to shellguy Send a message via Yahoo to shellguy
have you installed anything extra? as the switch normaly works fine
Old 12-05-2007, 05:55 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

brent281 is a n00b
you can also turn off the wifi notifications.
Old 12-15-2007, 01:35 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

mstevens is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmstevens is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmstevens is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Quote:
Originally Posted by brent281 View Post
you can also turn off the wifi notifications.
Right. I don't care about the notifications. I want the WiFi *radio* to stay off because it's a needless power drain.
Old 12-15-2007, 01:38 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellguy View Post
have you installed anything extra? as the switch normaly works fine
Well, yes. Tons. My point here is that we're thinking of this as a hardware switch that physically disables the WiFi radio. That's obviously not the case, as the radio appears fully capable of working with the switch in the "off" position.

At this point, it looks as if having Direct Push enabled will force the WiFi radio on if the phone is off or if there is no cellular data service available, irrespective of the hardware switch's position.
Old 12-15-2007, 03:11 PM
Bringer of Good Things
Pocket PC: HTC TITAN
Carrier: AT&T

GoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
I think the point shellguy was trying to make is that it seems likely you have a software app that is overriding the wifi switch. Afterall, the switch is still telling the software to disable the radio, so something is telling it to turn on.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan